PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What to do, what to do...
Hold onto the Touch Pro2 for 11 more months. 4 11.76%
Go for the Droid 2. 13 38.24%
Hold out for an HTC Android QWERTY. 5 14.71%
Wait to see what 4th quarter has in store for the Droid lineup. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

ckeegan is keeping up the good workckeegan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To Droid 2, or not to Droid 2; that is the question.

OK, so I'm still rockin' my faithful Touch Pro2 (like it's been out that long), and have been "eager" to switch to Android for sometime now. I would have a hell of a time dropping my physical keyboard, so I think I'm ruling out the Droid X for the lack of a keyboard, and size in general. Put it this way, my history is XV6600 --> XV6700 --> XV6800 --> Touch Pro2.

My NE2 obviously (since the TP2 came out in Sept 09) isn't up until May 2011, but I'm not too worried about that whole $50 thing. If was a still $100, I might wait.

So, here's how I see it:

1. Keep my trusty Touch Pro2 until May 2011, at which point (according to Verizon) there will be "up to 5" LTE handsets available.

2. Go for the Droid 2 now, and upgrade to one of those LTE devices a year later, since Verizon will allow you to get 2 year pricing with their "Annual Upgrade" policy.

3. Hold out and see if HTC is going to bring a QWERTY to the table at some point in the next few months. The Touch Pro2 is fading in and out of stock at vzw.com, and there's no way you can tell me that HTC is going to be out of the QWERTY market with Verizon for the first time in 6+ years, but we're also not hearing anything rumored. Other than the Scorpion (aka Olympian) of course, but no mention of a QWERTY. I will admit that I am actually am a fan of Sense.

4. Wait until Q4 to see what some of these "superphones" look like (1.5ghz, 2ghz, etc), but there's no guarantee any of them would be LTE capable, which is why I think making the switch to Android now, would be better considering I should have a decent choice in LTE devices by the end of next summer.

Anyway, curious for your input, but I'll be curious to see what (if anything) is revealed about the Droid 2 on Wednesday. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a Droid X event, since I'm sure Moto doesn't want to hurt sales of the Droid 1 with 2ish months until the Droid 2 release.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: CDMA HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

08cherd4 is a n00b
Re: To Droid 2, or not to Droid 2; that is the question.

I still have the original touch pro. although i have a year or so left on my 3 year contract. yeah you guessed it i'm in Canada, the Droid 2 looks very inticing, especially since an LTE network in Canada is all but a tiny speck of dust.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Seems a little out of whack, 64 views and 3 votes.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

no one cares? j/k
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

It's funny that's there only one thread in the Droid 2 forum, when it's supposed to be coming out in about 2 months (or so the rumors suggest).

I've already kind of made the decision to see what's out by October 1, or what's rumored to be coming out shortly after.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

I thought about the D2 but the X is coming out first.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

I voted Droid 2, that's what I would do in your situation. Even if LTE devices come out this year are you a in a major market that's going to see the benefit in the first year? Plus even with the super phones coming, there will be super-duper phones next year. So it really it come down to when you want something new, everything gets outdated every year anyway.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

IMO, LTE phones are not involved in the decision, for they may be a year away from now.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
I voted Droid 2, that's what I would do in your situation. Even if LTE devices come out this year are you a in a major market that's going to see the benefit in the first year? Plus even with the super phones coming, there will be super-duper phones next year. So it really it come down to when you want something new, everything gets outdated every year anyway.
My market will likely be launched in the initial 30, possibly shortly after. I agree with the rest of everything though. Seriously wondering if I need a QWERTY anymore though. I've been thinking about it a lot, and practicing Swype on my Touch Pro2. While the size of the Droid X is somewhat scary, it will likely make typing far easier, especially with the multi-touch keyboard. I'm still thinking that I'll wait to sometime August/September-ish, and get whatever is best at that time. It's still gonna take a lot for me to ditch my physical keyboard though. I am a business user, and I've been using a real keyboard on a smartphone for 6 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
IMO, LTE phones are not involved in the decision, for they may be a year away from now.
They actually are involved in the decision, somewhat indirectly. When I bought my Touch Pro2, Verizon has no Android line-up, and I would never have thought that they would be pushing the Droid brand as hard as they are. I bought the Touch Pro2 because Verizon had pretty much already said, "LTE devices will be out by May 2011", and since then, they've clarified further by saying "up to 5 by May 2011".

The point is, I use my annual upgrade now, and then I'll be able to use it again next summer when we should have a decent selection of Android LTE devices. I could obviously just hold onto my TP2 until next summer too, but I am WAY too eager to switch to Android, plus I can still get a decent price for my TP2 on eBay.

Last edited by ckeegan; 06-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I see your reasoning. for me a D2 is not enough of a step up to upgrade when it comes out. Maybe the X is?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2