PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What to do, what to do...
Hold onto the Touch Pro2 for 11 more months. 4 11.76%
Go for the Droid 2. 13 38.24%
Hold out for an HTC Android QWERTY. 5 14.71%
Wait to see what 4th quarter has in store for the Droid lineup. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To Droid 2, or not to Droid 2; that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I'm actually thinking a little differently. I think the Droid 2 will be able to tide me over for a truly mind-bending phone.
Quote:

I personally don't see the manufacturers breaking out the big guns until LTE is deployed in more than just the initial 30 markets. I think we'll see a very cool selection of LTE devices next summer/fall.

So, I think I'll pick up a Droid 2 on September 14th, which is my Annual Upgrade date, unless I can convince Verizon to do it earlier. I'll have my 30 day exchange thing to keep an eye on the rumor mill. By late-September, there would definitely have to be an FCC filing of a new device hitting Verizon before the end of the year. In my opinion though, there won't be another keyboard device on the market this fall. I actually think the rumored HTC Scorpion will be a Verizon EVO, which I'm not interested in. The Droid Pro (or whatever you want to call it), who knows when the heck that thing will be out, and what it will even be like. Regardless, we'd still have to see some leaks pretty soon for me to believe it's coming out before 2011.

PS - The TP2 is still going for between $175-$215 on eBay, but that won't be the case when WP7 comes out, and Android keeps gaining strength. That's another part of my thinking.
Thanks for your insight, I am still undecided though. I guess it just comes down to dollars and cents. The TP2 is still very capable and enjoyable, and it would be hard for me to give it up and replace it with something that doesn't give me chill bumps. I was forced into Verizon, with the Alltel merger; so I am still not familiar with Verizon's whole update and upgrade process and timing. $200 isn't a fortune by any means, but still $200 for a phone that is a slight step up from the TP2 might not be wise. Although, the native free GPS and expanded apps, improved camera (although the Drois 2's camera is quite lackluster, specs-wise, only a megapixel jump) and larger more detailed screen might make up for the difference and give me another two solid years to enjoy the phone until its upgrade time.

If there are any spelling or typing errors, I wrote this from my TP2 ironically enough. Oh, I should mention... the entire reason (well, not entire but a major factor) why I am so bent on upgrading to something stellar, is because we have a vacation at the end of September, and I AM NOT CARRYING another point and shoot around again, what an annoyance! I just want something with an excellent camera, sensor, and software to match in order to produce stunning true-to-life pictures and videos that I can easily upload and archive to Face Book and Photo Bucket (and GPS tagging would be cool as well).

So any suggestions... I'm like Dumbo... all ears! If the Droid2 is truly the most powerful device with Android and a keyboard offered by Verizon by September - should I go for it?

Sent from my HTC smartphone
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

ckeegan is keeping up the good workckeegan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post

Thanks for your insight, I am still undecided though. I guess it just comes down to dollars and cents. The TP2 is still very capable and enjoyable, and it would be hard for me to give it up and replace it with something that doesn't give me chill bumps. I was forced into Verizon, with the Alltel merger; so I am still not familiar with Verizon's whole update and upgrade process and timing. $200 isn't a fortune by any means, but still $200 for a phone that is a slight step up from the TP2 might not be wise. Although, the native free GPS and expanded apps, improved camera (although the Drois 2's camera is quite lackluster, specs-wise, only a megapixel jump) and larger more detailed screen might make up for the difference and give me another two solid years to enjoy the phone until its upgrade time.

If there are any spelling or typing errors, I wrote this from my TP2 ironically enough. Oh, I should mention... the entire reason (well, not entire but a major factor) why I am so bent on upgrading to something stellar, is because we have a vacation at the end of September, and I AM NOT CARRYING another point and shoot around again, what an annoyance! I just want something with an excellent camera, sensor, and software to match in order to produce stunning true-to-life pictures and videos that I can easily upload and archive to Face Book and Photo Bucket (and GPS tagging would be cool as well).

So any suggestions... I'm like Dumbo... all ears! If the Droid2 is truly the most powerful device with Android and a keyboard offered by Verizon by September - should I go for it?

Sent from my HTC smartphone
I honestly don't think you'll find a smartphone to replace your point and shoot in the near future. There are always drawbacks to doing so, and I don't see that changing anytime soon since most manufacturers aren't going to put priority on picture quality. It will always be secondary.

I also don't think I will ever have a phone for 2 years again, unless Verizon does away with their Annual Upgrade policy (unlikely). The original Droid is still going for $250-300 on eBay, and even if it dropped to $225 at Droid 2 launch, you'd still come out $25 in the positive. You could literally upgrade for free every year if you wanted to. Believe me, I've been doing it since I sold my HTC Harrier for my Apache, but back in those days smartphones cost $300+ (2-year price) and only refreshed every two years.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I honestly don't think you'll find a smartphone to replace your point and shoot in the near future. There are always drawbacks to doing so, and I don't see that changing anytime soon since most manufacturers aren't going to put priority on picture quality. It will always be secondary.

I also don't think I will ever have a phone for 2 years again, unless Verizon does away with their Annual Upgrade policy (unlikely). The original Droid is still going for $250-300 on eBay, and even if it dropped to $225 at Droid 2 launch, you'd still come out $25 in the positive. You could literally upgrade for free every year if you wanted to. Believe me, I've been doing it since I sold my HTC Harrier for my Apache, but back in those days smartphones cost $300+ (2-year price) and only refreshed every two years.
I don't know why I thought I had to wait 2 years with every device to get the discounted pricing; maybe that was Alltel, and I'm not familiar with Verizon yet. So August 12th, I am now 80% certain I will be getting the Droid 2. Will it come with Froyo 2.2 built in, and does anyone know if it will be root-able yet? THANKS!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I don't know why I thought I had to wait 2 years with every device to get the discounted pricing; maybe that was Alltel, and I'm not familiar with Verizon yet. So August 12th, I am now 80% certain I will be getting the Droid 2. Will it come with Froyo 2.2 built in, and does anyone know if it will be root-able yet? THANKS!
Alright, I just signed into my account on Verizon, and it says "New Every Two," in which case my TP1 can be upgraded on 9/9/10, and the TP2 not until Spring of 2011... so how do I qualify for the annual upgrade pricing that was mentioned earlier?

Also... looks like the Droid 2 will be out for sure either August 12 or 23 according to ever report I've read. 8gb internal storage with a 16gb micro SD pre-installed and a 1ghz processor with built in wifi tethering.

Here is a nice recent article from June 10th, Engadet: http://moretechnews.com/news/tech-in...-in-august.htm

PS: Pre order is expected to hit in the first week of August - I'll keep my eyes peeled, I am all but certain about buying this phone now!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Alright, I just signed into my account on Verizon, and it says "New Every Two," in which case my TP1 can be upgraded on 9/9/10, and the TP2 not until Spring of 2011... so how do I qualify for the annual upgrade pricing that was mentioned earlier?

Also... looks like the Droid 2 will be out for sure either August 12 or 23 according to ever report I've read. 8gb internal storage with a 16gb micro SD pre-installed and a 1ghz processor with built in wifi tethering.

Here is a nice recent article from June 10th, Engadet: http://moretechnews.com/news/tech-in...-in-august.htm

PS: Pre order is expected to hit in the first week of August - I'll keep my eyes peeled, I am all but certain about buying this phone now!
Once you hit 12 months, you'll hit "upgrade my phone", log in, and it will tell you that you're not eligible for NE2 until..., but when you hit "next" it should populate a list of all the current smartphones and the annual upgrade price (2 year price).

Technically I shouldn't be eligible for Annual Upgrade until 9/14, but I'm going to call on Droid2 launch day and see if I can get it done. I know they've let people do it at 10 months in the past, so it's worth a shot. I did hear they're being more strict on the 12 month thing now though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Once you hit 12 months, you'll hit "upgrade my phone", log in, and it will tell you that you're not eligible for NE2 until..., but when you hit "next" it should populate a list of all the current smartphones and the annual upgrade price (2 year price).

Technically I shouldn't be eligible for Annual Upgrade until 9/14, but I'm going to call on Droid2 launch day and see if I can get it done. I know they've let people do it at 10 months in the past, so it's worth a shot. I did hear they're being more strict on the 12 month thing now though.
Thanks so much for your help... I Emailed Customer Service, and received this reply:

"Dear ***** *****,

Good morning. I apologize for any confusion as to when each of your lines of service can upgrade again. My name is Laura and I have confirmed that wireless number ***-**** can upgrade now to any device with a new two-year contract agreement. This is with our Annual Upgrade Program. You are more than welcome to upgrade to any handset once it is available. Wireless number ***-*** does need to wait until August 3, 2011 to upgrade again too. Currently we are not offering any pre-orders for any device at this time. If this does change, you are more than welcome to process the request online.

We do have some great handsets available at a discounted price. If you are interested in upgrading to a new device, you may view your promotional pricing and to process your order by signing on to My Verizon using your Account Owner Number and click on the "Upgrade to a New Phone" link located under “Quick Links” on the right side of the page. You also have the option of visiting your local Verizon Wireless store or contacting us directly at 1-800-922-0204.

I thank you for taking the time to reach out to us to upgrade your handset. Enjoy shopping for a new phone! We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Laura
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement"
Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Just received the response to my questions a moment ago...

"Dear ***** *****,

Good afternoon. I certainly understand your concern regarding the Annual upgrade and the phone switch on your wife's line. My name is Rebecca and I am delighted to assist you today with both matters. Our New Every Two Program requires you to complete at least 20 months from the date of the last upgrade to purchase a new phone at a discounted rate with the applicable credit. However, as Verizon Wireless understands that the needs of our customer’s change and their interest to stay updated with the current phones, we offer the Annual Upgrade Program. When subscribing to a calling plan with a monthly access of $49.99 or higher, the line may upgrade into a new phone every 12 months from the date of the last upgrade. The New Every Two credit does not apply. Moving onto the phone switch, once the new phone is activated onto your line, you may activate the Touch Pro 2 phone on ***** line (***) ***-****. With this, your wireless numbers will not be affected. With any equipment purchase from us, the device has a 30 day Worry Free Guarantee. With our Worry Free Guarantee, you may exchange or return your wireless equipment, for any reason, within 30 days of purchase. A $35.00 restocking fee applies. Below I have explained the exchange/ return process.

When exchanging or returning your device, please be sure to ensure you return the original phone in the original box, including the UPC Code, intact with all components (phone, charger, battery, instructions, etc.). All components must be in like-new condition. All returns must be accompanied by the original receipt and will only be granted to the actual purchaser whose name appears on the receipt. At our discretion, we may decline your return or charge you a fee for missing items or items that we determine are damaged or require service. If we accept your equipment return within this period, we will refund your equipment purchase price.

I hope that the information that I have provided regarding the upgrade options was helpful to you. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Verizon Wireless customer. I hope you have a wonderful week.

Sincerely,

Rebecca
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service"

$35 restocking fee....... ugh.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
$35 restocking fee....... ugh.
I've returned a smartphone to Verizon before, and I've never paid a restocking fee. Both times the smartphone was purchased either online or through telesales. Granted, policies can change.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I've returned a smartphone to Verizon before, and I've never paid a restocking fee. Both times the smartphone was purchased either online or through telesales. Granted, policies can change.
That's somewhat reassuring... just not sure why they would have made a point to clearly state the fee in the Email correspondence? I'm sure if someone was a knuckle head and tried to return a phone on day 29 that was beat up and scratched into oblivion, this fee would be totally justified - but why would I pay $35 just to 'see' if I like the Droid-X rather than simply buy the Droid 2 when it launches in two weeks?

I just want the camera from the Droid X... put into the Droid 2
Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
I just want the camera from the Droid X... put into the Droid 2
I personally don't think the camera on the Droid X will be much better than the Droid 2. Honestly, higher megapixel count is worthless.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2