PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2

Notices

View Poll Results: What to do, what to do...
Hold onto the Touch Pro2 for 11 more months. 4 11.76%
Go for the Droid 2. 13 38.24%
Hold out for an HTC Android QWERTY. 5 14.71%
Wait to see what 4th quarter has in store for the Droid lineup. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

ckeegan is keeping up the good workckeegan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To Droid 2, or not to Droid 2; that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Well I do have a Touch pro 2... but still, even considering the slight jump in specs, I don't feel I would experience a "WHOA, this is awesome!" amount of excitement in using the Droid2. The TP2 has been a decent phone, and I AM READY to upgrade to something else, preferably Android 99.9%, but I just don't see anything that would amount to a 'quantum leap' in design, power, and functionality in the market right now (see my above post of what would constitute a game changer for me). Thanks
Honestly, I don't think the Droid2 is a quantum leap in design over the Touch Pro2, in fact, I think it would be a slight step backward. However, I do think it would be a large step in terms of processing speed. The RAM alone would be a HUGE improvement, and Android Market would be something else we haven't really had the pleasure of experiencing. Windows Marketplace in its current form is a joke in comparison. Last but not least, I always wished the TP2 had a compass. Droid2 obviously does.

All in all, I do think the D2 would be a big improvement (spec-wise) over the TP2, but I am really hoping that HTC brings a Touch Pro2 style device with Android to the table this fall/winter for Verizon. If I don't hear about anything by mid-October, I'll pick whatever is currently available, which may be the D2.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoom
I know this is technically a Motorola forum, but if you want to hold out for a high end android slider you should keep and eye on the Samsung Galaxy S Pro.
Haven't heard much about this device... will it be Froyo or Gingerbread? I am only interested in Verizon devices. Thanks.
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPib
Good poll. I'm in just the same situation as you. I detest the D1 keyboard, and have my doubts that the D2's will be good enough to make me switch from my TP2's great KB. One thing I hate -- no dedicated number keys. Yet I'm itching for a good Android slider.

Saw photos at brighthand.com today of the HTC Vision, which is supposed to be a 1GHz Android slider. Keyboard looks like my TP2 one -- except they left out the dedicated number keys as well! It's like a conspiracy
I really like HTC devices... I had not heard of this, but am very intrigued. Dedicated number keys would be VERY nice, but not a deal breaker. I am typing this on my TP2 keyboard, and it just reminded me how awesomazing it is!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: verizon

slidebabyslide is becoming a great contributor

I have had my tp 2 since last year. Im on my 10th and speaker keeps blowing and other problems with cheap HTC plastic. I did my ne2 this week. I wanted the incredible people said its a solid phone. I used it for 2 days speaker blow. They asked me if I would try the moto droid and I'm in love with the phone. I will be getting the droid 2 , when it comes out. Moto droid is made super solid and does not feel cheap. It feels like a benz and htc now feels like hyundai.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidebabyslide View Post
I have had my tp 2 since last year. Im on my 10th and speaker keeps blowing and other problems with cheap HTC plastic. I did my ne2 this week. I wanted the incredible people said its a solid phone. I used it for 2 days speaker blow. They asked me if I would try the moto droid and I'm in love with the phone. I will be getting the droid 2 , when it comes out. Moto droid is made super solid and does not feel cheap. It feels like a benz and htc now feels like hyundai.
I agree Droids, by and large, are made with superior industrial-esque construction, and guts to match; but I've never heard much of a fuss over HTC's quality and build. Although some of their earlier phones weren't exactly anything to garner awards and survive being steam rolled without crumbling into a million pieces, I have always thought there were the best models available all things considered.

I have been 100% problem free for a year now with my Touch Pro 2; aside from some hard resets I've had to perform and daily soft resets of course since it runs Windows Mobile - but the build and feel are substantial and weighty.

Now... I have been reading a lot about the Droid X that just 'landed,' and aside from the comments pertaining to the crippling effect Motorola's tired and sluggish user interface renders, the guts are UNMATCHED and rival/surpass even the current king of the cellular castle, Evo. If the Droid X had a sliding keyboard, I would literally be in line when the store opened tomorrow.

Once a true power-house, like the Droid-X is released, with full Froyo (or in 2011 Ginger 3.0) with a well designed hardware keyboard, OTA auto updates, HD video capture and an extremely accurate photo sensor complimented with an 8mp+ spec rating - I'd easily and readily hand over my paycheck for a device like that...

WHEN, OH WHEN WILL IT BE SO!?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidebabyslide View Post
I seriously doubt you're on your 10th Touch Pro2, especially considering the fact that you said you were on your 4th about a month ago in another thread. First of all, Verizon has a 3 strike rule, on the 4th replacement request, they almost always automatically offer a different model. From my personal experience though, the Touch Pro2 is the 4th HTC device I have owned over 6 years. I have literally only had to request a replacement device 3 times over that 6 years, but not once yet for my TP2, which I got on launch day. I have dropped my Touch Pro2 on a hard surface at least 5 times, from no less than 3 feet, and it's still running like a champ, and barely even has a cosmetic flaw.

Did you use your NE2 on a different line this week, because your Touch Pro2 line wouldn't even be eligible for another 10 months (assuming you got it on launch day)? How did you get an Incredible, since they've been backordered for how long now, and aren't expected to replenish for another 2.5 weeks?

Sorry to get off track, but I'm the OP, and I do not want future readers to get the impression that HTC handsets are crap, which is far from the truth. I am still seriously considering the Droid2, and will probably go that route due to my yearning to switch to Android. However, I can easily see myself going with something HTC (via Annual Upgrade) 12 months later. I have always loved HTC, but their lack of options right now gives me no choice.

Last edited by ckeegan; 07-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Sorry to get off track, but I'm the OP, and I do not want future readers to get the impression that HTC handsets are crap, which is far from the truth. I am still seriously considering the Droid2, and will probably go that route due to my yearning to switch to Android. However, I can easily see myself going with something HTC (via Annual Upgrade) 12 months later. I have always loved HTC, but their lack of options right now gives me no choice.
Agreed - BIG TIME! HTC is a very solid device with quite a stable history of releasing capable and attractive phones, and they have only gotten better and better. I love Droids, though, because of the availability of apps and the entire open platform (sort of) philosophy driving the series.

I'm still not exactly sure how the "Droid" product line works... does Google manufacture phones, or do they simply offer up hardware to HTC and others, who then product the devices for them and use their branding?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
I'm still not exactly sure how the "Droid" product line works... does Google manufacture phones, or do they simply offer up hardware to HTC and others, who then product the devices for them and use their branding?
No, the term "Droid" has little to do with Google, aside from shortening the word "Android". Droid is Verizon branding of Android devices made by HTC and Moto. Obviously it's still so new, that no one really knows how far the Droid branding will extend. Obviously the Samsung Fascinate is not part of the Droid branding campaign, and neither was the LG Ally. So, at this point, it's safe to say HTC and Moto are the only two manufacturers included.

Honestly, I do think it was a good branding idea by Verizon, however, it will become as diluted as Kleenex. By this, I mean the public will start using the word "Droid" to refer to any Android handset, whether Verizon likes it or not. Just like people who now say they need Kleenex, and pick up a box of Puffs brand. At first it was great for Kleenex, but now the term has just been diluted. Eventually, Droid will end up in the same boat....probably.

- Former Ad Agency guy.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Pretty interesting... The Droid 2 will be launching on August 12th at Verizon http://gizmodo.com/5591941/droid-2-l...-r2+d2-edition

I am so anxious to get a new phone... I guess the Touch Pro 2 is great, or good enough to get me through until a truly powerful mind-bending phone is released from Verizon running Android 2.2+ out of the box with the aforementioned qualities/camera specs I mentioned earlier.

Mighty ROM just released a new ROM a few weeks ago based on the new Verizon ROM, so until something comes out that knocks my socks off... I am going to continue to try and restrain myself from upgrading 50%, when by this Christmas I'm sure I can make the desired quantum leap in cell phone device upgrade!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Pretty interesting... The Droid 2 will be launching on August 12th at Verizon http://gizmodo.com/5591941/droid-2-l...-r2+d2-edition

I am so anxious to get a new phone... I guess the Touch Pro 2 is great, or good enough to get me through until a truly powerful mind-bending phone is released from Verizon running Android 2.2+ out of the box with the aforementioned qualities/camera specs I mentioned earlier.

Mighty ROM just released a new ROM a few weeks ago based on the new Verizon ROM, so until something comes out that knocks my socks off... I am going to continue to try and restrain myself from upgrading 50%, when by this Christmas I'm sure I can make the desired quantum leap in cell phone device upgrade!
I'm actually thinking a little differently. I think the Droid 2 will be able to tide me over for a truly mind-bending phone.

I personally don't see the manufacturers breaking out the big guns until LTE is deployed in more than just the initial 30 markets. I think we'll see a very cool selection of LTE devices next summer/fall.

So, I think I'll pick up a Droid 2 on September 14th, which is my Annual Upgrade date, unless I can convince Verizon to do it earlier. I'll have my 30 day exchange thing to keep an eye on the rumor mill. By late-September, there would definitely have to be an FCC filing of a new device hitting Verizon before the end of the year. In my opinion though, there won't be another keyboard device on the market this fall. I actually think the rumored HTC Scorpion will be a Verizon EVO, which I'm not interested in. The Droid Pro (or whatever you want to call it), who knows when the heck that thing will be out, and what it will even be like. Regardless, we'd still have to see some leaks pretty soon for me to believe it's coming out before 2011.

PS - The TP2 is still going for between $175-$215 on eBay, but that won't be the case when WP7 comes out, and Android keeps gaining strength. That's another part of my thinking.

Last edited by ckeegan; 07-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2