PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2

Notices

View Poll Results: What to do, what to do...
Hold onto the Touch Pro2 for 11 more months. 4 11.76%
Go for the Droid 2. 13 38.24%
Hold out for an HTC Android QWERTY. 5 14.71%
Wait to see what 4th quarter has in store for the Droid lineup. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

ckeegan is keeping up the good workckeegan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To Droid 2, or not to Droid 2; that is the question.

All depends what you're stepping up from I guess. In my case, the D2 would be a decent step up from the Touch Pro2, but I can see how it would only be a half step from the D1.

The again, doubling the RAM and almost doubling the processor speed might be enough for some D1 owners. Who knows what other goodies (if any) they may have thrown in there, which haven't been reported yet.

Guess we'll find out soon enough though. Still considering the X and D2, but for the first time, I might actually wait until their both in store to play with.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

daoom is just getting started

I know this is technically a Motorola forum, but if you want to hold out for a high end android slider you should keep and eye on the Samsung Galaxy S Pro.

Last edited by daoom; 06-29-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Once you go Swype you won't go back. Unless you do an unusual amount of number and symbol typing, Swype makes you forget the keyboard, at least it did for me. That's why I am doing Droid X and I have a more urgent reason to upgrade.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoom View Post
I know this is technically a Motorola forum, but if you want to hold out for a high end android slider you should keep and eye on the Samsung Galaxy S Pro.
I'll definitely pass on almost anything Samsung, unless they really blow my mind. Between their horrible customer service and even worse UI, I just can't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
Once you go Swype you won't go back. Unless you do an unusual amount of number and symbol typing, Swype makes you forget the keyboard, at least it did for me. That's why I am doing Droid X and I have a more urgent reason to upgrade.
Honestly, I do A LOT of number and symbol typing. I just loaded Swype on my Touch Pro2 about a week ago. It is awesome, and I'm not used to it yet, but the numbers kill me. I wonder how speech to text would do with "two hundred sixty-two thousand dollars". Seriously, I don't know, but I guess I should find out.

The keyboard on the Droid 2 leaves something to be desired. It's on a way lesser level than my Touch Pro2, but it's probably not a whole lot different than my XV6800 keyboard. I did just fine with that for 2 years.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
The keyboard on the Droid 2 leaves something to be desired. It's on a way lesser level than my Touch Pro2, but it's probably not a whole lot different than my XV6800 keyboard. I did just fine with that for 2 years.
Agreed, TP2 keyboard is best ever.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

It just doesn't seem, in my opinion, that there is enough of a drastic obvious difference in ability and speed between the Droid and Droid2 to justify the credit card slide.
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
It just doesn't seem, in my opinion, that there is enough of a drastic obvious difference in ability and speed between the Droid and Droid2 to justify the credit card slide.
I don't think you'll see too many upgrading from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2, as they won't even be eligible for Annual Upgrade. For those of us jumping from the Touch Pro2 (or anything purchased 10+ months ago), it is a considerable jump in specs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

MrPib is becoming a great contributor

Good poll. I'm in just the same situation as you. I detest the D1 keyboard, and have my doubts that the D2's will be good enough to make me switch from my TP2's great KB. One thing I hate -- no dedicated number keys. Yet I'm itching for a good Android slider.

Saw photos at brighthand.com today of the HTC Vision, which is supposed to be a 1GHz Android slider. Keyboard looks like my TP2 one -- except they left out the dedicated number keys as well! It's like a conspiracy
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPib View Post
Good poll. I'm in just the same situation as you. I detest the D1 keyboard, and have my doubts that the D2's will be good enough to make me switch from my TP2's great KB. One thing I hate -- no dedicated number keys. Yet I'm itching for a good Android slider.

Saw photos at brighthand.com today of the HTC Vision, which is supposed to be a 1GHz Android slider. Keyboard looks like my TP2 one -- except they left out the dedicated number keys as well! It's like a conspiracy
Ohhhh yikes... I never realized there weren't any dedicated number keys. It isn't a massive deal breaker by any means, especially since I'm so attracted to Android, not to mention their forthcoming 3.0 Gingerbread ROM should be out by year's end - but I have to admit, the keyboard on my TP2 is nothing short of legendary.

Why don't more manufacturers (or any, for that matter) take a page out of the TP2 keyboard handbook!?

I will admit though, I am stoked in a BIG WAY about finally making the switch to Android after YEARS UPON YEARS with Window's mobile... it just seems to intuitive and clean/powerful and expandable. The day HTC (or a solid quality manf) releases a Verizon version of a Froyo+ ROM with 8mp camera and 720p+ video capture and a 1ghz+ processor along with a user friendly sliding keyboard... HE'S MY CREDIT CARD MR. SALESMAN! Unfortunately... when will that be
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I don't think you'll see too many upgrading from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2, as they won't even be eligible for Annual Upgrade. For those of us jumping from the Touch Pro2 (or anything purchased 10+ months ago), it is a considerable jump in specs.
Well I do have a Touch pro 2... but still, even considering the slight jump in specs, I don't feel I would experience a "WHOA, this is awesome!" amount of excitement in using the Droid2. The TP2 has been a decent phone, and I AM READY to upgrade to something else, preferably Android 99.9%, but I just don't see anything that would amount to a 'quantum leap' in design, power, and functionality in the market right now (see my above post of what would constitute a game changer for me). Thanks

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid 2