PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   LG Fathom (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   LG Fathom on AT&T network (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147532)

acapde 10-15-2011 03:21 PM

LG Fathom on AT&T network

Just bought this phone (firmware version 4) thinking that it would work fine on the AT&T network but the best connection I can get is just EDGE, any easy solution to get 3G speeds? I've read that unlocking would fix it but I'm not a Verizon customer so I don't think that's a valid option for me... Any suggestion?

cac2us 10-15-2011 10:14 PM

Re: LG Fathom on AT&T network

Quote:

Originally Posted by acapde (Post 2150436)
Just bought this phone (firmware version 4) thinking that it would work fine on the AT&T network but the best connection I can get is just EDGE, any easy solution to get 3G speeds? I've read that unlocking would fix it but I'm not a Verizon customer so I don't think that's a valid option for me... Any suggestion?

Welcome to the Fathom World.:headbang:
I think that the fathom will only show EVDO or EDGE.
But I also think that those are the equilivent to 3G.
I currently use mine for a WiFi office device (great keyboard).
Try searching...:)

ENJOY....

acapde 10-16-2011 12:24 PM

Hi cac2us,

Thank you for the welcome message.
I believe EDGE is lower speed than 3G, in fact I had an HTC Tilt that I used to switch to EDGE to save battery but I then used 3G when I needed the extra speed. It appears that the LG Fathom is not searching all the bands when in GSM mode (at least when on the AT&T network) for some reason. Thanks again!

pizzaboy192 10-17-2011 02:39 PM

Have you installed the data settings that are available for AT&T for Windows Mobile? I have a feeling that you're only getting EDGE because it doesn't know how to connect to AT&T 3G. You should be able to find AT&T Data setting CAB files on XDA that will be able to help you get it working.

acapde 10-17-2011 03:35 PM

Hi Pizzaboy,

I've tried a couple of cab files I found and also entered this manually with the same result:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

So, in your opinion, it should work... I was concerned that Verizon had locked some US UTMS bands.

I'll keep trying.

Thank you!

pizzaboy192 10-17-2011 06:03 PM

According to Phone Arena, the LG Fathom can operate at the following GSM Frequencies:
850, 900, 1800, 1900
AT&T uses: (according to Wikipedia)
850 MHz UMTS/HSPA 3G 1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA 3GWhich means that it should technically work. You may need to force the phone into GSM\UTMS mode and make sure that UTMS is enabled. I know it's possible to set it to GSM only which disabled 3G for battery saving purposes.

acapde 10-18-2011 01:37 PM

Yes, before buying the phone I checked the bands (supported by the phone and used by AT&T) and everything looked fine. However when I try to use the phone, if I use GSM/UMTS the phone always pick GSM (EDGE), if I tried to force ot to UMTS only then the phone just doesn't connect at all. I know I have UMTS in my area because if I put the same SIM in my BB Torch then it picks the 3G signal right away (and with good signal strength)... :-(

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 04:30 AM

@acapde - Did AT&T Make you pay extra for data, if you're on the unlimited 50 a month prepaid plan? Are you on that or contract? Just trying to clearify before I jump ship.

returned4good 11-27-2011 08:58 PM

I used mine with AT&T and nothing changed on the bill. I think they probably couldn't recognize the phone so they didn't try to stick me with smartphone charges.

acapde 12-17-2011 10:14 AM

@n1nj4Lo, sorry just saw your post.
My employer pays my bill so I don't even see it.... but still have the problem with the AT&T network, I rarely get 3G in areas where my Blackberry gets it with no problems, so I think the LG is missing a band but, as per the specs, all should be there :-(

acapde 12-17-2011 10:29 AM

@returned4good
Hi, are you getting the normal 3G coverage with the LG compared to your other phones on AT&T? Any problem getting 3G in many locations?

returned4good 12-30-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acapde (Post 2160728)
@returned4good
Hi, are you getting the normal 3G coverage with the LG compared to your other phones on AT&T? Any problem getting 3G in many locations?

If I remember right, I was only able to connect to HSDPA, which made it kind of difficult to tell where the standard 3G connections were broadcasted. So in a nutshell, I had 2G/EDGE and HSDPA as a choice making it hard to compare. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but that's the best I know. :oops: