PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   LG Fathom (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Kitchen released (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147499)

da_reeseboy 10-17-2011 08:19 PM

Re: Kitchen released

That was one of the first things I noticed when I picked up the fathom a year ago.

pizzaboy192 10-17-2011 08:55 PM

I'm just thinking of more crap that you could remove...
There's a .cab file in the windows folder called "LGEDefault" that's just a theme that LG installs. All it does is remove the dismiss buttons on notifications. It's 512K, but it's still something that we don't really need.
If you could also bake out the annoying file security warning, that'd be nice.
I'm just going by what I usually do to my phone to make it work better.

If possible, the settings menu that LG provided was always nice, if that could be ported from V7, it would be very useful. (or even cloned to allow us to turn certain features on and off)
I personally don't like the LGVolume because it breaks the ability to mute incoming calls, but it's as simple as removing the startup shortcut to get back the standard volume, so I think that one can stay in.

If when you get far enough along, to completely bake out the Verizon settings, and have a .cab available for people to choose between Verizon and the standard GSM set of carriers.

I personally think that Manilla isn't all that great, but if you can slim it down enough, a Manilla ROM would be a fun thing to mess around with eventually. 2.6 might be too much, but atleast 2.0 or 2.5 since they're decently small.

Be sure when you're removing Verizon junk, that you remove it from the Init section of the registry. Broken keys there will lead to dramatically longer startup times (I have about 5x as long because I had a few bad keys and shortcuts in my init section)

da_reeseboy 10-17-2011 09:04 PM

I am uploading 4 ROMs and the stuff needed to flash for anyone interested. It has 4 hours to go on the upload and will be in this share folder when done - ReeseBoys LG Fathom folder - MediaFire
Items included -
- LG Drivers and LGNPST - contains the 3 driver installs, and a folder with LGNPST and a readme for correct install order. PLEASE follow it.
- LG Fathom Cleaned ROM w Opera 10 no MMS - cleaned as in bloatware mostly removed, still have a few things to go. Running Windows default texting so no MMS.
- LG Fathom Cleaned ROM w Opera 10 - same as above but with Powermobia added back in.
- LG Fathom v7 ROM - stock v7 ROM, just in a bin format so you can flash it this way instead of thru the default way (I always had trouble getting the "correct" way to work)
- LG Fathom v7-5 hybrid ROM - running the v5 OEMs with the v7 SYS. It looks and acts like v5, just has the newer Windows sys 23127 from v7

I personally recommend the Clean w Opera10 and still having Powermobia right now - you lose no (wanted) features and it boots pretty fast. I haven't personally been successful with functional MMS without Powermobia, but I'm far from done.

To flash the phone follow these instructions spocky gave in this thread on xda (be sure to thank him, he did the hard stuff) -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spocky
Now the steps to flash the phone :

1- Install drivers
- LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981CAN33AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3. 3
- LGWindowsMobile_USBDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0
- LGSmartPhone_ModemlinkDUNDrive_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0
You should easily find them (or more recent version) using your favorite search engine.

2- Install the flash tool
The only one that I know of being able to flash decrypted roms is LGNPST. Sorry, you'll have to search for it on the web (shouldn't be too difficult to find).
If using lgnpst, you'll also need to register this dll (using regsvr32 vs750.dll in a dos command prompt)

3- Connect the phone
To be able to connect the vs750 to lgnpst, you have to be in composite mode (on the phone, go to "settings/connections/Switch usb" then select "VzAccess Manager", click "save" and finally wait for it to reboot.

It's possible to flash this phone in emergency mode (if anything goes wrong and the fathom doesn't boot), but if you do so, you might lose your nv (and MEID info). To boot in emergency mode, shutdown your phone, unplug it, then press the "5" key on the keyboard and while keeping it down, plug the usb cable.
Don't do it unless necessary.

4- Save NV (just to be able to recover in case of problems)

- Put your phone in composite mode
- Plug the phone to your pc
- Launch LGNPST.exe, it should detect your phone (filename on the top right panel should be "VS750.dll").
- Click on "phone settings", wait a few secondes for a new window to appear
- Click on read button
- It will create a VS750_COMx.nvs in C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST
- Close the windows and click on "click here to continue".

5- Flash the Rom

- Put your phone in composite mode
- Plug the phone to your pc
- Launch LGNPST.exe
- Go in provision Tab (should be selected by default)
- Select Upgrade
- BIN file : "c:\VS750\BIN\VS750XXX5.BIN"
- Check SCR File, then select "C:\VS750\SCR\VS750VZ7_04.scr"
- Check PRL, Nam1 (uncheck nam2), select "C:\VS750\PRL\58006 - EVDO OEM Factory Default.prl"
- Don't check Eri file
- Click on "start"
- Keep fingers crossed for approximately 10min. The phone will reboot a few times, this is normal.
- Enjoy your 1st VS750 custom rom

Also note that for lgnpst to accept your rom, its name will need to start with "vs750".
And don't worry, there is almost no risk of really bricking the phone (especially if you saved the nvs).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE backup your nvs before you start flashing roms.

da_reeseboy 10-17-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 (Post 2150843)
I'm just thinking of more crap that you could remove...
There's a .cab file in the windows folder called "LGEDefault" that's just a theme that LG installs. All it does is remove the dismiss buttons on notifications. It's 512K, but it's still something that we don't really need.
If you could also bake out the annoying file security warning, that'd be nice.
I'm just going by what I usually do to my phone to make it work better.

If possible, the settings menu that LG provided was always nice, if that could be ported from V7, it would be very useful. (or even cloned to allow us to turn certain features on and off)
I personally don't like the LGVolume because it breaks the ability to mute incoming calls, but it's as simple as removing the startup shortcut to get back the standard volume, so I think that one can stay in.

If when you get far enough along, to completely bake out the Verizon settings, and have a .cab available for people to choose between Verizon and the standard GSM set of carriers.

I personally think that Manilla isn't all that great, but if you can slim it down enough, a Manilla ROM would be a fun thing to mess around with eventually. 2.6 might be too much, but atleast 2.0 or 2.5 since they're decently small.

Be sure when you're removing Verizon junk, that you remove it from the Init section of the registry. Broken keys there will lead to dramatically longer startup times (I have about 5x as long because I had a few bad keys and shortcuts in my init section)

Thanks for the ideas - keep 'em coming. I'm way too tired tonight to dig in, but I'm keeping a list going so I don't forget anything. The stupid LGFavoriteContacts is still in the ones I'm uploading, but it will be cleaned out of the next.

pizzaboy192 10-17-2011 09:15 PM

To save some time:
http://pizzaboy192.com/downloads/FathomROM/Drivers.7z
http://pizzaboy192.com/downloads/FathomROM/FlashTool.7z

and the V7 Kitchen for those interested:
Kitchen

Links are fixed. Added a new MIME Type. Yay web!

da_reeseboy 10-17-2011 09:24 PM

Pizzaboy - what went wrong on the bad flash? Did windows boot but for 1 reason or another you couldn't navigate thru the menu?
On my bad flash I forgot to include the SQM package so Windows booted and was running but the interface was not functioning. I could plug the phone up to my pc and browse but couldn't move thru the start menu and switch the usb setting for a reflash. Because of this I had to flash in emergency mode... thankfully I had a good nvs backup to reload. This got me thinking that I should change the default usb setting to VZAccess Manager so a damaged interface won't keep us from reflashing normally. Thoughts?

pizzaboy192 10-17-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_reeseboy (Post 2150852)
Pizzaboy - what went wrong on the bad flash? Did windows boot but for 1 reason or another you couldn't navigate thru the menu?
On my bad flash I forgot to include the SQM package so Windows booted and was running but the interface was not functioning. I could plug the phone up to my pc and browse but couldn't move thru the start menu and switch the usb setting for a reflash. Because of this I had to flash in emergency mode... thankfully I had a good nvs backup to reload. This got me thinking that I should change the default usb setting to VZAccess Manager so a damaged interface won't keep us from reflashing normally. Thoughts?

Here's my idea:
There's a Windows program called CeRegEditor. It's a desktop program to edit your registry on your phone.
You can save a dump of your registry to the pc, then change your mode and do a compare to your backup registry. See what key changed and then you'll have what you need to set.

What happened with mine is an actual manufacturer's defect doing some damage to my phone on accident. My phone has been known to go loopy when I do a hard reset, most times getting stuck in either a hard-reset loop forcing me to do a re-flash, or I have to pull the battery and let it sit for an hour or two. The phone has also been known to loose parts of the NV after a hard reset and I've had to call verizon multiple times to get it manually re-activated.
I forgot to backup my NV backup after doing an emergency mode flash, and the first thing I did after I flashed was open and read the NV, overwriting my backup.

I'd do the registry checking myself, but I've decomissioned my dead phone until my new one comes. I don't want to actually do something to it and void my warranty.

pizzaboy192 10-19-2011 03:25 PM

Whelp... New phone showed up. Support told me it would ship stock as it's a manufacturer's refurb. It shipped with V7. Immediately downgraded before activating.
I'm on my V7V5 hybrid. I'll do some digging tonight if I don't have much for homework and try to get the registry keys for the USB Mode. I'll let you know what I find.

trysomeothertime 10-20-2011 12:57 AM

One thing that I really miss from the V7 ROM is the hotspot app. Very useful, and much better than wifirouter as it can do WPA2 instead of WEP, which is pretty much not security anymore.

If someone can include that hotspot app, that would be awesome.

Thanks for your hacking and development!!!

pizzaboy192 10-20-2011 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@da_reeseboy
Got the keys you're looking for for switching USB mode.
I've attached pictures for you.
list on the left is running in Activesync mode, one on the right is Composite VZW Access mode.