PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile-USA

WeAreNotAlone is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Updating LG Fathom firmware will lock it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamodein View Post
Hi,

~snip~

I have a unlocked LG Fathom which I am using with TATA GSM Docomo network in India. Its firmware is V4. My Questions:

1. If I update it the firmware to V7, will it lock the phone again and I will not be able to use any GSM Sim?
On some VS750's purchased thru Amazon.com USA about a month ago (They appear to be coming from the same company that supplies phones to TigerDirect.com /CompUSA.com , Seller UnlockedCellPhoneKings on Ebay USA site) the phones arrived:

A: With a VodaPhone Verizon GSM SIM CHIP installed in the SIM CHIP SLOT.
B: In a UNLOCKED state- VS750 accepted T-Mobile sim no problem.
C: With firmware V4.

Flashed the phone with V5, later with V7 and it did NOT re-lock the phone. VS750 recognizes the T-Mobile USA SIM CHIP after flashing.

Quote:
2. Now in V4, GSM works fine, but when I select CDMA mode and put Reliance CDMA sim, it goes kind of hang and does not respond, no network. Why its so?

3. Without any sim it shows reliance CDMA network in roaming mode, but could not program using *228 and Handset Transfer Card. Any Solution?

4. If by chance I am able to program it on Reliance CDMA (without SIM) using *228 and Handset Transfer Card, will I be able to use GSM sim also in it?

Thanks in advance!!!
The VS750 I believe was for the US market ONLY.
With the phone being sold thru VERIZON USA I would think more likely than not the phone has hard coded into the EPROM itself that it will:
A: Show you are in roam mode on any other carrier.
B: More than likely NOT allow you to program the phone for any other carrier other than VERIZON. The CDMA part of the phone is more than likley permanently locked to VERIZON.

(On the GSM SIM CHIP SLOT - I would think that slot is GSM ONLY due to the above.)

The GSM SIM SLOT's purpose is to allow the phone to be used as a GSM PHONE in the areas VERIZON doesn't service (EG: via VodaPhone while traveling in Europe.)

So far as the VS750 Fathom's SIM CHIP SLOT as sold originally thru VERIZON only accepting a VodaPhone SIM chip, I think that would have probably have been the as-shipped, originally marketed configuration. As shipped I woud think the VS750 was LOCKED to only take the VodaPhone sim - Verizon and Vodaphone most likely having agreements as such.

The term "UNLOCKED" refers to the SIM LOCK being removed so SIM chips other than VodaPhone will function.

Firmware notes.
V4
V5= Adds Mobile OFFICE 2010
V7=Adds what appears to be a OEM lite version of SPB SHELL giving you Android type screens.

Problem with V7 is that on incoming (GSM) calls is that when you try to MUTE the ringer via the vol up/down button is the muting function crashes saying:

"No enough memory, close some applications"

Net result is the ringer continues to ring, ring, ring.

Best option is to flash to V5 (unless you have to have some function V7 offers)... and then add SP SHELL v3.5.3. The full version of SPB SHELL unlike the watered down version in V7 of the firmware flash offers a much nicer set of configuration options and choices than the water down version that V7 of the firmware does.

PS: POST BACK YOUR FINDINGS- In as much detail as possible.
(Post info you'd like to see if you were needing the answer to a problem.. Don't just post back.."Yea I fixed it"... Post back in detail what you had to do to fix a problem..In a step by step format.

Imagine you had a time machine and were just now searching for the answers YOU desire- and someone had posted the info YOU were looking for.. in detail)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Lurker

WeAreNotAlone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymallik View Post
Hi I have purchased LG Fathom vs 750 from deals and you website. Can anybody help me how can it be configured for TATA cdma services....! Thanks in advance!
See post one post up.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Lurker

WeAreNotAlone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamodein View Post
Hi,

~snip~

I have a unlocked LG Fathom which I am using with TATA GSM Docomo network in India. Its firmware is V4. My Questions:

3. Without any sim it shows reliance CDMA network in roaming mode, but could not program using *228 and Handset Transfer Card. Any Solution?
As noted in my previous post SIM SLOT is for GSM SIM CHIP, I doubt it will accept a CDMA sim. .
What you might be able to do is to manually enter your carriers network info into the phones Eprom.
On Youtube there are videos showing you how to access the ENGINEERING SERVICE MENU options on LG phones... via those you "might" be able to edit CDMA carrier info.

Quote:
4. If by chance I am able to program it on Reliance CDMA (without SIM) using *228 and Handset Transfer Card, will I be able to use GSM sim also in it?

Thanks in advance!!!
As shipped the VS750 IIRC can be configured to function as CDMA only, GSM only(2 versions)... OR what is called Global Mode (Searches for CDMA and GSM).

Note:
1: I don't have a account thru a CDMA carrier- I had my configured as GSM only.
2: In areas I would lose GSM signal the phone would ask if I wanted to switch to"Global Mode". EG Search for CDMA..Verizon...
Based upon that I would think the reverse would be true- Phone prefers a CDMA signal as it is a Verizon phone and Verizon is CDMA -it can switch between CDMA and GSM if set to GLOBAL MODE automatically.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 09-27-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Fathom vs750
Carrier: LG

ubaid khan is a n00b

hi i hav purchased LG Fathom vs750 recentely and i'm unable to get it started with my loop simcard plz let me what should i do
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG KS20
Carrier: SFR

spocky is just getting started

Hi,

Did anybody make any progress in this area ? (I mean, is it possible to use it on another cdma network, even with a custom rom) ? I've been asked about this but unfortunately, there is no cdma network in my country, so I can't test.

Last edited by spocky; 01-05-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom, Palm T|X, MotoQ9c, Jornada 567
Carrier: Verizon

pizzaboy192 is keeping up the good workpizzaboy192 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

I've been told that Cricket and MetroPCS will gladly use the phone, but you won't get 3G until you install a provisioning .cab file from either XDA or here, and you won't get MMS unless you remove Arcsoft PowerMobia and install the proper MMS settings files (also available either on xda or here)
Custom ROMs do help the situation, but since most people who use the Fathom also use it as their main phone, I doubt many people have dabbled with removing all carrier branding completely and then adding it in after.
if i had a second one, I would gladly do the testing, as I'd like to find a way to disable the CDMA half completely when on a GSM network (and disable the whole defaulting to Verizon stuff)
I think Sprint also will take the phone if you beg enough, but that's just speculation. I know they've taken other Verizon phones before, so I don't see why not.
No idea about US Cellular, as I don't really know much about them.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: Aircel

headhair is a n00b

Quote:
Spocky Wrote:-
Did anybody make any progress in this area ? (I mean, is it possible to use it on another cdma network, even with a custom rom) ? I've been asked about this but unfortunately, there is no cdma network in my country, so I can't test.
Yes. I have activated Reliance CDMA Network (india) & working fine. I am using both GSM & CDMA (one at a time) without any problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Windows mobile
Carrier: Reliance India

sathish is a n00b

How to enable for Reliance India network?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: Aircel

headhair is a n00b

Quote:
How to enable for Reliance India network?
Please go through this post for your answer
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/lg-fathom/...ing-india.html
Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: fathom
Carrier: BSNL

ajayrajsingh is a n00b

hi to all i have unlocked lg fathom i tried to update it to version 7 with kp500 utility afert completing 94% it shows error and now my phone is sticked to emergency download ( downloading do not unplug) mode in LGPNST it shows unknown device at com3 how can i cure it also it shows only 1 dll file version2 i think.. what i should do please tell me
thankyou

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom

Tags
fathom, firmware, lg, vs750