PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > HTC Vox
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vx8600
Carrier: verizon

goon55 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon's SMT 5800

I know this isn't the "Vox" exactly so I hope I am posting in the right spot. I havent seen much info on this new VZW SMT5800. Anyone own one?

I am debating between the SMT5800 and the xv6800

Thanks

g
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SMT 5800
Carrier: Verizon

magichuck is a n00b
Re: Verizon's SMT 5800

we had the same debate here and ultimately choose the 5800 over the 6800. our biggest factor was cost. our company didn't want to spend the extra money for the 6800's if it didn't have to. in our case we were upgrading from the 6700's.

having had the 5800 for almost a month now I can say a few things. first the external keypad is my favorite feature. second the size is very nice. it's a lot smaller then my 6700 was lighter also. I certainly don't miss the touchscreen as much as I thought.

Battery life is pretty good certainly better then the 6700 was at the end. I can go about 3-4 days with what I would consider light usage. I also don't charge it all day.

I liked the 6800 for havign the revA unlocked out of the box for faster data, I also liked some of the customizations that are already available for the 6800. I can't some things to enable some of the features on the 5800. I'm waiting for my 4GB sdhc card to arrive so I can't talk about those yet, but I have used a 2GB card without error, and access seemed fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC BTR5800

rlonghenry is a n00b

Just picked this up over the weekend. It runs the MSMobile 6.0 standard, although I have had no problems migrating from the PPC OS that was in my Treo 700W. There is no touch screen which took a small amount of getting used to, but I rarely used it anyway on my Treo. The use of the stylus and using the touch screen was slower in most cases and required two-handed operation.

I had read bad things about the battery life so I picked up the extended life battery which I had to order, so it will be here tomorrow. So far the battery has not been able to last more than 18 hours. I use it to get and respond to both corporate and personal e-mail, and lately I have been using it to surf online quite a bit getting used to the slightly new interface. Once the novelty of that wears off the battery life may improve, but I am going with the better battery just in case.

The broadband service and voice quality are very good, and I use a blue ant speakerphone in my car which works fine. I moved away from corded headsets a long time ago, so I don't miss the headset jack (the 5800 has no headset jack in it). With the broadband service, I have no need for Wi-Fi, so I saved $$ there too.

What else can I say. Everything works as advertised and so far has been a very stable platform. I was resetting my Treo at least every other day because it would lock up. So far, non of the same issies here.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: verizon wireless SMT5800

vzwsmt5800 is a n00b

Where do I get an extended life battery. I cant find it.

Battery life first couple of weeks 15hrs max with what I would consider moderate usage, although you get alot out of it when the display is low.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Lurker

thbrunelle is a n00b

I got mine on the VZW website. My local store didn't have any.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: verizon wireless SMT5800

vzwsmt5800 is a n00b

Thanks, I have found a couple of sites that have it but it seems VZW is the only one that has the expanded back with camera opening (at least that I've seen).

Is the extended battery life worth the extra thickness?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Lurker

thbrunelle is a n00b

If you are away from power sources, yes. I got the extended battery, used it for a few days, and went back to the slim. I charge my phone while in the office or vehicle, when needed.

The thick brick was a bit much for me, IMHO.
Tim
Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

Anyone got youtube working on the 5800? my friend has one and flashvideobundle won't install on it. I have a 6800 and after using both it's 6800 all the way for me.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > HTC Vox