PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Some questions and troubles. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89350)

daethwing188 10-07-2009 05:17 PM

Some questions and troubles.

Hey PPCGeeks,

I have a couple of questions and troubles with my PPC as the title suggests.

Here's a summery of what's been going on.

1) I unlocked my Verizon XV6900 (HTC Vogue) with ImCoKeMaN's 2.31 unlocker. I did not flash in the Titan Rom (I don't think).
2) I used the "http://216.139.227.226/RUU_PPST_Vogu..._2.04_Ship.exe (newer)" GPS-Capable Shipped Sprint Rom found on ImCoKeMaN's thread found here. I did not let the Sprint customizations run I instead left the phone plugged in and cooked up my own WinMo6.5 Rom.
3) after cooking my first ROM, I think I had too much in there and it was lagging the phone down a ton.
4) tried again. Got it working and it loads up and recognizes Verizon and all.
5) updated the data connection info and can get online.

SO here's the rub.

• When I flashed the ROM in, I do have connection to VZW, but I can't get reception like I could before. I could make/receive calls and texts from my room, now I need to venture out to the street just to get a signal. Same for data.
  • The GPS, one of the main reasons for my hacking venture, I don't think is working. I go to GoogleMaps, set the GPS settings manually to COM4 and baud 4800. But it gives me a message saying nothing was detected in my device.
  • The HTC touch keyboard that comes stock with the Vogue, is IMHO the best input device I've used. I'm also comfortable with it now. HOWEVER, it seems that it isn't working properly for some reason. No matter what it's set on, 'XT9', 'abc', or '123', they all input as if it's on '123'
  • The battery life is draining quicker than it ever has before and that just won't do, I could go a day without a charge and still be able to send/receive texts and mail.
  • The camera doesn't work. Both the camera button and the camera app on the Start menu give me a popup saying, "The file 'Camera' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file."

If anyone can give me some assistance with my problems, I'd really appreciate it.

Likewise, if someone could assist me in cooking a better ROM then that might suffice.

For the time being, I think I'm gonna find a better ROM by a more skilled chef than I.

The things that I'd really like in my ROM are, working GPS, a way to tether my phone to my netbook for internet on the go, and a few of the stock vogue features like the keyboard input and the touchflo menu.

Thank you all in advance,
-Noah

horndoctor 10-07-2009 07:09 PM

Re: Some questions and troubles.

I recommend you read through codybear's faq on xda-developers about flashing the Vogue.Here is the link :http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=508544 There is a lot of great info in his faq and you could try NFSFAN's rom if you like. It is a little old but the info is still great. I also suggest you try several roms from the Chefs on this site and see which one you prefer. Good Luck ! :)

Snowden 10-08-2009 04:12 AM

I found that this tutorial was great for unlocking the radio on my Verizon HTC Touch. I'm now running NFSFan's WM6.5 ROM with the newest radio, found in this thread, and can get directions wherever with Garmin without having a data plan. I had an unusual problem after following the tutorial wherein I was stuck roaming all the time, but if you have trouble with that I know the fix, so...no worries. Hopefully that helps, since I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get GPS working myself. Good luck.

-Snowden

daethwing188 10-08-2009 04:47 AM

Okay.

I've followed your suggestions and installed Nfsfan's WM6.5 ROM. I have the 3.42.30 RADIO working. Calls and Data and SMS work. I'm working on patching the MMS right now.

I have a couple of questions still though...

1) when I do the *228 option 1 thing, the automated message tells me that they can't activate my phone at this time (or whatever the message was) and tells me to call in. I suppose I should yes? Tell them I tried to activate my phone and it gave me that message. (note: *22899 doesn't work either) I think I've taken care of this problem.

2) My reception is still MUCH less than it was. I mean, I have terrible reception. I still have to leave my place in order to get signal. I used to get signal in subways. What's up with that? Anyone know?

3) I've been following codybear's step-by-step as was linked by horndoctor (thank you horndoctor) I am however very confused about this bit. Maybe you can help me out with this one. In the tutorial, codybear posts these instructions,
"MMS
1. Go to connection settings and select "Manage existing connections"
2. edit the only connection there
3. Name it whatever you want ie "vzw"
4. hit next and enter #777 as the number
5. hit next and put "your10digitnumber@vzw3g.com"
and "vzw" as the password
6. hit finish
7. install the attached arcsoft cab
8. do a soft reset.
9. open phmregedit in the start menu
10. navigate to HKLM\Software\Arcsoft\ArcsoftMMS UA\Config\mm1\WspHeader\X-VzW-MDN
and put your 10 digit phone number for the value
11. wait a min or two and do a soft reset
12. go into messaging select menu and then mms options
13. select the server tab
14. select verizon wireless and change connect via to "the internet",
the other settings should be correct.
15. wait a few min and perform a soft reset once more
16. now mms should work!!!
Originally Found Here."
on step 10, when I navigate into the reg. I find a dead end at "HKLM\Software\Arcsoft\ArcsoftMMS UA\Config\mm1" I have no idea how to get to, "HKLM\Software\Arcsoft\ArcsoftMMS UA\Config\mm1\WspHeader\X-VzW-MDN"... I don't know where to put my 10-digit number...

I think that's about it. I'll let you all now if I figure anything further out... but I think I'm just kinda stuck until someone can help me with some fixes.

Oh and I'm still not getting any satellite after like 5 minutes. Tomorrow, I'll try for longer. Patience is a virtue, yes?

Thanks all,
-Noah

horndoctor 10-08-2009 06:52 PM

Well looks like you have made progress. :) You may be able to get better reception if you try a different radio. Maybe the Bell radio(3.42.50). You could PM codybear and ask him to clarify and answer your question. He knows a lot more than I do about Verizon Questions.

daethwing188 10-09-2009 05:34 AM

I'll likely do just that... later today I suppose. The one thing though, I heard that the 3.42.50 Radio can actually act as a detriment. Just what I've heard though. I'll ask codybear later.

Another update is that the GPS... seemingly is not working. I've regEdited and all. No go. Is there some specific steps I should follow. Neither googlemaps nor any of the gps tools are getting a lock and I do have location enabled. Com4 baud 4800...

thoughts?

thanks,
-Noah

codybear 10-09-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daethwing188 (Post 1224651)
I'll likely do just that... later today I suppose. The one thing though, I heard that the 3.42.50 Radio can actually act as a detriment. Just what I've heard though. I'll ask codybear later.

Another update is that the GPS... seemingly is not working. I've regEdited and all. No go. Is there some specific steps I should follow. Neither googlemaps nor any of the gps tools are getting a lock and I do have location enabled. Com4 baud 4800...

thoughts?

thanks,
-Noah

if you go to the last page of my faq, (link in signature, its the same as the one horndoctor told you about), go to the last page, and there's new info about MMS for Nfsfan's rom.
I haven't been able to update my faq for a little while.

Also, did you turn on the gps?
like the location settings?

Start> settings > Personal > Phone
Click Services tab.
Highlight location setting (should be highlighted by default),
and then press get settings.
Change to on, and press okay in the top right corner.
(This info should also be in my faq).

Not trying to be mean or anything,
but read the whole faq, it has TONS of stuff in there, and TONS more links for things that should keep you busy customizing your phone for quite a while. ;)

daethwing188 10-13-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 1226431)
if you go to the last page of my faq, (link in signature, its the same as the one horndoctor told you about), go to the last page, and there's new info about MMS for Nfsfan's rom.
I haven't been able to update my faq for a little while.

Also, did you turn on the gps?
like the location settings?

Start> settings > Personal > Phone
Click Services tab.
Highlight location setting (should be highlighted by default),
and then press get settings.
Change to on, and press okay in the top right corner.
(This info should also be in my faq).

Not trying to be mean or anything,
but read the whole faq, it has TONS of stuff in there, and TONS more links for things that should keep you busy customizing your phone for quite a while. ;)

Okay, my location has been on since day 1 (guess I forgot to post about that tid-bit here... heh) and still no locks in 20mins.

What's bothering me too is that I have MAYBE 5 hours of battery life TOTAL. This is unacceptable. The GPS toggle .cab isn't working either... dunno why.

Also, the cellular reception, I have no idea why it's so miserable. Is there any reason why my phone reception should be a quarter of the strength it was previously. I get reception no where now. I feel like I'm on AT&T... it's that bad!

I need help guys. Codybear, you're great man, I actually used your walk-through to get as far as I did in the first place. And reading, I'm good at that. I have been reading and haven't found my answers yet. :\

I was thinking of flashing in the Bell 3.42.50 radio, but I've heard that it has some negative effects on trying to get the GPS working (which doesn't work at the moment anyway it seems)

Any thoughts on how to fix... GPS, Cell reception, and Battery life?

THANKS for any advice you might be able to impart.

-Noah

horndoctor 10-13-2009 02:16 PM

For the reception issue, have you tried upgrading your prl ? That may help.In your area you may need to use the 3.42.50 radio to get a better signal or I believe there is also a modified radio that someone was posting about not long ago. 3.42.40 I believe.

codybear 10-13-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1234677)
For the reception issue, have you tried upgrading your prl ? That may help.In your area you may need to use the 3.42.50 radio to get a better signal or I believe there is also a modified radio that someone was posting about not long ago. 3.42.40 I believe.

I was using the .40 radio on mine a while back.
or maybe it was the .30, not sure since it was a little while ago.

I'd suggest trying the different stock roms (like for the different carriers).
Flash them, but DO NOT let the customizations run.
See how the reception is with that.

Also, some carriers have the thicker reception bars which I believe are four bars and the little reception logo thing.
Alot of custom roms use the Skinny Signal Strength bars, which is like 6-7 bars at the top. The skinny one's are a little more accurate since there's more bars available to represent the same reception.

As for gps, do you have aGPS enabled?
I forgot and don't have time to re-read this thread (sorry).
If you do, ignore this comment.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what else you could try...
If I think of something, I'll let you know.