PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vx6900
Carrier: verizzon

donc13 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hard Reset vs Clear Storage

Verizon vs6900, got it new from Verizon about 3 weeks ago.

A couple of things, what's the difference between a hard reset, and clear storage?

Second, there are several .cab files in /windows such as the one to add opera, etc. There's also a radio refurbish cab there. If I stop customizations from running (after a clear storage), which of these cabs are safe to run, and yet still be able to use the GPS (with Vahalla Legends) with everything else stock?

ROM 3.14.605.1
Radio 3.37.78
Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: Hard Reset vs Clear Storage

Welcome to Geekdom! To answer your question, a hard reset resets your phone to out of the box condition. If you have a custom ROM installed, it will not change this, but otherwise your phone is in the same condition it was when you got it. Clear storage does just that...it clears your storage of any files you have residing there. On that note, I'd suggest a clean up app (SK Tools or MemMaid) to keep junk files from accumulating and eating up storage.

As for your customization question, cant help too much

Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

donc13 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
Welcome to Geekdom! To answer your question, a hard reset resets your phone to out of the box condition. If you have a custom ROM installed, it will not change this, but otherwise your phone is in the same condition it was when you got it. Clear storage does just that...it clears your storage of any files you have residing there. On that note, I'd suggest a clean up app (SK Tools or MemMaid) to keep junk files from accumulating and eating up storage.

As for your customization question, cant help too much
Ok...I was under the impression that Clear Storage also returned it to 'factory fresh' condition as it completely removes everything in storage memory, re-initializes WM (6.1) and then loads all the customizations.

Apparently I was wrong.

I've got tons of storage, I'm not worried about that have have several memory cleaners, was more concerned with why I couldn't get the Vahalla Legends gps fix to work. That may be why, I'm not starting with a hard reset...only a clear storage.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ɯ,ı ʞooן
Pocket PC: 3rd GALAXY from the SUNG
Carrier: Sprint

rdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPrdd0512 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

clear storage is a hard reset, you will lose all your contacts, you will have a "fresh strart" and it will re load all the carrier customizations, there is no difference between clear storage and a hard reset besides the hardware/software way of activating it.

Last edited by rdd0512; 08-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

donc13 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd0512 View Post
clear storage is a hard reset, you will lose all your contacts, you will have a "fresh strart" and it will re load all the carrier customizations, there is no difference between clear storage and a hard reset besides the hardware/software way of activating it.
Ok...now I've got one vote for they are the same (and what I presumed ... that they were the same) and one vote says they do different things.

Humm.....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

There the same...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
There the same...
We have a winner!

Clear storage also gives you the option to clear your \storage card or \internal storage depending on your device... Both will "re-loads" the initially flashed software onto the device and set it up with a fresh load.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Yep, they are the same.Good Luck!!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Also, I say no to the radio refurbish cab unless your having problems. The Opera cab is ok to install but you can prolly get a newer version from the Opera Mobile Website or from someone here. I recommend you read through codybear's faq over on xda cause it has a lot of useful info. It explains how to unlock and flash and also has several cabs and other useful info to fix common problems.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue