PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue, HTC Apache
Carrier: Bell Mobility

macmee is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions about flashing?

I just got an HTC touch, and I wish to flash it. I'm scared to flash, though, because I'm not sure what risks are involved while flashing. I really don't want to break my HTC Touch, and after flashing, will I have to re-configure anything for my phone to work with Bell Mobility?

I'm kind of new to flashing, so sorry if I sound sort of stupid.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC incredible
Carrier: Verizon

jtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuff
Re: Questions about flashing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmee View Post
I just got an HTC touch, and I wish to flash it. I'm scared to flash, though, because I'm not sure what risks are involved while flashing. I really don't want to break my HTC Touch, and after flashing, will I have to re-configure anything for my phone to work with Bell Mobility?

there is very low risk of anything happening to your phone the biggest one is it voids the warranty. you can use a program to backup your settings but i don't know how well it would transfer if you flash to 6.5. here is a little info on flashing. it was written for verizon phones but it can be followed for bell as unlocking, upgrading the radio, configuring GPS, and flashing custom ROMs are pretty much all the same on these phones. you can make a custom ROM for Bell and only have to reconfigure the GPS and your programs to how you like them. you will have to do a little work yourself to get everything working right but once you do custom ROMs are worth all the effort.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Once you unlock the phone,you can flash damn thing every day
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: Telecom NZ

ali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:

The best advice i give to you is to READ ALL YOU CAN b4 YOU DO ANYTHING read 5 times if you have to, but read until it makes sense to you, even getting off on the wrong start by flashing .40 unlocker instead 2.31 unlocker can make life diffucult for you.

here is where you should start http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20370 ,dont be sorry either we all were once in your shoes.

ps read READ READ and they say patience is a virtue dont go rushing into anything

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue, HTC Apache
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

macmee is a n00b

Thanks guys! I didn't know I was supposed to unlock before flashing (good thing I haven't flashed yet).

So I don't miss anything else, I just want to make sure, all I have to do in order to flash is:
1. back up any data on the phone
2. unlock the device
3. flash

And I'm good to go? I guess what I'm scared about is if I am half way through flashing and something goes wrong (file corruption, application frozen, power loss) and I'm stuck with a half-flashed device. Is there a way to rescue a device if it's in this predicament?

Cheers, Dave
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: Telecom NZ

ali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on repali3nfr3ak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

just dont start any applications during flashing, make sure your computer is set not to sleep or go into screensaver, if you want a gps rom make sure u use 2.31 unlocker
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

also make sure the rom your flashing is for your specific model
dont flash a gsm rom on a cdma phone
dont flash a cdma rom on a gsm phone
dont flash a touch pro rom on a touch
dont flash a touch rom on a touch pro
dont flash a diamond rom on a touch pro
dont flash a touch pro rom on a diamond

now that im used to flashing its super easy to do.

!!WARNING!! iT can become addictive HAHA

Last edited by psycho_maniac; 07-14-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC incredible
Carrier: Verizon

jtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuffjtuite knows their stuff

Quote:
Thanks guys! I didn't know I was supposed to unlock before flashing (good thing I haven't flashed yet).

So I don't miss anything else, I just want to make sure, all I have to do in order to flash is:
1. back up any data on the phone
2. unlock the device
3. flash

And I'm good to go? I guess what I'm scared about is if I am half way through flashing and something goes wrong (file corruption, application frozen, power loss) and I'm stuck with a half-flashed device. Is there a way to rescue a device if it's in this predicament?

Cheers, Dave
99% of the time if that happens you can usually get it back into bootloader mode. there were a couple ROMs that I made that were corrupt or something and it stopped bout 75% done and all I had to do was put it back in bootloader mode and reflash it and it worked fine. it really is hard to brick these vogues.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc inspire hd
Carrier: at&t

LessThanZero is keeping up the good workLessThanZero is keeping up the good work

Learn to flash from the sd card. Once you have the phone unlocked, format any sd card on your computer to FAT32 (card has to 2GB or less), rename the largest .nbh file of the rom you want to flash to VOGUIMG.nbh (remember caps). Put that bad boy in boot loader and the phone does the rest. Once the update has completed poke the reset with stylus and have fun with your new rom. Only other thing I could suggest is flash back to your newest specific carrier rom before you flash another custom.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanZero View Post
Learn to flash from the sd card. Once you have the phone unlocked, format any sd card on your computer to FAT32 (card has to 2GB or less), rename the largest .nbh file of the rom you want to flash to VOGUIMG.nbh (remember caps). Put that bad boy in boot loader and the phone does the rest. Once the update has completed poke the reset with stylus and have fun with your new rom. Only other thing I could suggest is flash back to your newest specific carrier rom before you flash another custom.
i have a 4gig msd card and i just flashed my touch pro ??? or is this specific to the vogue?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue