PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6900
Carrier: Att

deejaypapa is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having serious problems here

Hello, I am somewhat new to these forums. New as in for the last month ive been scanning PPCGeeks, HowardForums, Xda, PPCkitchen, and numerous others that i cant think of right now due to sleep deprivation. I believe this is my first post on any of the sites, but i could be wrong, once again, no sleep. Here is my situation...

I purchased a HTC Vogue about 2 weeks ago. I had been looking to buy an HTC for about 2-3 weeks before that, but waited because i wanted to make sure that i would be able to flash it to my carrier, Cricket. I found one for a steal that was already flashed to cricket so i said why not, and purchased it. When i recieved it all i had to do was call Cricket CS and give them the ESN and badda bing working right off the bat. The internet and MMS didnt work right then, but through the Cricket complete mms/wap settings thread on this site, i was able to get them both working fine. Please Note: My first attempt at working mms/gps/net was a complete SUCCESS. It took me about 10-20 minutes of messing with the registry and re-entering settings before i had the internet and mms up and running(The previous owner had already had internet and mms working as well as gps, but i guess somehow the registry settings reverted back to default when i dialed *22

Anyways, the previous owner had it running some version of WM5. It was extremely plain, no touchflo, nothing but plain old windows. I was walking around my house for a good 15-20 minutes surfing the internet when i said to myself, "if its this easy to get the internet working then im gonna install a different rom that i want.

So i downloaded the most current version sprint rom with the 3.42 radio and wm6.1. From there i initially tried keeping the sprint rom and was able to get the phone with working talk and text, obviously through qpst, but i couldnt get the net or mms working no matter what i did. Even tried the HC_GUARDIAN dummy file and followed instructions to a T, and to no avail, the internet and mms still wouldnt cooperate. So i decided to find some custom roms on the internet, through the aforementioned website forums'. I've successfully installed at least 15-20 different roms on my phone since. I've never had a rom that didnt work the way it was intended to. Never had any serious bugs that needed fixing. Never had a problem...except NO NET, MMS, OR GPS.

Now please let me explain, I am fairly new to this, but i would not consider myself a newbie. I researched and downloaded files for flashing for more than 3 weeks before i even tried flashing my phone. I am the type of person that, if I am going to do something, I am going to make sure it is RIGHT, and if i dont think i can do it right, then i dont do it. Especially when it comes to something that i have my money invested in. But I am completely STUMMPED. I feel like i have literally tried EVERYTHING that i can think of....

Dont get me wrong, Im not one of those people that thinks just because everything is entered correctly that something is automatically going to work. I understand that computer systems dont always work, even when a person thinks they should be. But on that same hand, when a computer isnt working properly, there is ALWAYS a solution, but sometimes the solution is something a person would think had nothing to do with what they were trying to accomplish. That being said, I have LITERALLY done EVER SINGLE THING that i can possibly think of, from my general knowledge of computers and phones, to hours upon hours, (literally, as im writing this, it is 7:41 AM CST and I have been working on this since 6pm last night. And this isnt the first night like that, its actually about the 8th or 9th night that ive put in anywhere between 12-16 hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my phone. Ive tried everything, arcsoft 4.2 with the cab fixes, arcsoft 5.0 with the mms fixes, tried loading every different type of rom, and every carrier version, went through registry i dont know how many times, honestly im so tired right now that i cant list off everything that ive tried. But its just about everything. So now im to the point where im about to break the phone. I know it has the capability to work because i had it working before. I have tried everything ive been able to find on the internet through google and no success. So i guess, basically what im asking is for somebody to please smack me in the head and say SHOULDA HAD A V8 because i know it has to be something so simple. Any help that ANYONE could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Edit:I am running on VERY little sleep here so I know there are a ton of things that i have not mentioned that i have tried. I forgot to mention that i had success with about 10 roms that i downloaded off the internet, and the other 10 or so roms i have done were roms i made myself in ppckitchen. For some reason i thought that isntalling a rom from ppckitchen with cricket selected as the carrier would get me a rom that all i had to do was some regedits and a little shake and bake and i would have working net, just like the first time i got the phone. The person i bought it from said that he had used ppckitchen to make a custom rom, so i figured if i did the same, i would have the same results.

Last edited by deejaypapa; 04-27-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: Verizon

ruslan is becoming a great contributor
Re: Having serious problems here

I'm not familiar with cricket but I can try to give you some ideas.
So you already tried kitchen rom with cricket as carrier selected?
After you bought you phone did you just update the roms or radio too?
Try re-entering user and password for cricket (not sure what they suppose to be) in settings for internet connection.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

deejaypapa is a n00b

First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLY. i posted this yesterday and i was honestly expecting more reply's by today. for some reason it seems that the veterans on this website are more than willing to jump in and help a self proclaimed "NOOB," but when someone jumps on here askin for help or guidance that halfway knows what theyre doing, all of the sudden these people with hundreds and thousands of posts and thanks' are nowhere to be found.

But yeah, ive tried everything. ive put pretty much every copy of every rom that buildos has for my phone (think theres like 5 or 6 different builds) ive entered and re-entered cricket account information, edited the arcsoft registry so many times while reading the mms/wap guide on this site, that i pretty much have it memorized. i can flash a whole new rom, go into the registry, edit everything im supposed to, then go back and double check by reading over the mms/wap guide, and i will have everything entered correctly, and it still doesnt work. Ive even tried isntalling every rom possible, and literally sitting in front of the computer screen reading that guide and doing everything verbatum, and no luck. for some reason the phone just wont let me get internet and im completely stumped and extremely mad because, following those instructions the first time got me......FULLY WORKING INTERNET AND PIC MESSAGING. i think i need a TRUE fresh start for windows, like literally wipe the whole thing clean, write zeros or somethin, and start from scratch. hard reset doesnt do anything besides erase my contacts and sms inbox, and erase any software ive installed after i put the rom on the phone. i wasnt sure if that was all a hard reset was supposed to do, so i even download the hard reset program...same results. i did upgrade the os and the radio as well, i believe in using v3.42 which was the newest one i came across the quickest. i really dont know what to do, but it seems like the phone is holding onto settings from previous roms. ie. when i go to connections and look at the available networks or connections, only 1 will be listed and its one ive named cricket mms, and if i try to add a new one with different values or modify the cricket mms and change its name to just cricket, it tells me a file or connection or something like that already exists with that name. BUT IT DOESNT!!! There is no connection named cricket, but i cant make one because my phone apparently says there is. so getting an error like that, my first thought was ok, obviously the registry has a value in it somewhere that needs to be deleted or restored to default. NOPE. not that i can find anyways. I just want to delete EVERYTHING on the phone and get it back to wm6 or whatever it had when it was pulled outta its sprint box for the first time. is this even possible, and can i even downgrade my radio? i havent done much research into downgrading radios, i just remember reading something somewhere sayin that it was one of the few things that could brick an htc.

EDIT:I dont think my phone is upgrading my rom. not sure but everytime i have updated my rom (which has been NUMEROUS times) It says:

Verify that you want to update the ROM Version:

Image Version : 3.08.666.1

To:

Image Version : WM6.1_20924

.................................................. .............................

But ive already put at least 3 different versions of this build alone on my phone...so shouldnt it be updating from WM6.1_20924 back to WM6.1_20924 since ive already flashed the rom at least 3 times? Ive already reset my spc or msl or whatever to 000000 and installed coke 2.31 so i have no idea whats goin on with this thing.

Last edited by deejaypapa; 04-28-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO, Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

jstn76rs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjstn76rs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjstn76rs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjstn76rs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjstn76rs is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You can perform a hard reset and that should reload what ever rom is on your phone. If you want to try a custom rom again I would recommend NFSFAN's 6.5 Rom over on XDA. I have been able to get alot of help with it over there also. There is also a cab to help with the gps and other stuff for cricket on Codybears thread. The link is on his signature at the bottom of his post.

Last edited by jstn76rs; 04-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: verizon

infamousj012 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to infamousj012

im sure you are, but you loading the roms from bootloader mode? hold camera button 3-5 seconds/press and release power; tri-color mode.. other than that, hard reset sucks try everything before that. backup everything if it comes to that.
+samsung continium (verizon)
+samsung facinate (verizon)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: verizon

infamousj012 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to infamousj012

im sure you are, but you loading the roms from bootloader mode? hold camera button 3-5 seconds/press and release power; tri-color mode.. other than that, hard reset sucks try everything before that. backup everything if it comes to that.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

you could try loading official Sprint rom (don't let customizations run) and then load custom cricket rom. Any official rom will rewrite rom and radio part.
I know for verizon and sprint besides user/pass for internet there is also special characters stuff in EPST that allow for connection. Maybe that is what 's missing on your phone if cricket uses that stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

deejaypapa is a n00b

Yeah, i got a bootloader program on my phone, i can never seem to get to bl using button combinations, but yeah i tried that and when in the RUU it didnt recognize my current OS build, it said

(blank)

To:
2.08......whatever the build is again i forget

but the point is it didnt recognize my current version rom so i was hesitant to flash the new rom. i dont wanna put much more time into it today, gotta go to sleep, gotta be to work here in about 8 hours and still havent slept yet today.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

deejaypapa is a n00b

Yeah, thats how i started off, that was the first rom i flashed cuz i read somewhere that was best to do in order to get the most current radio. so i flashed that and got 3.42 radio, as far as i know ive done everything that i am able to find on the net. I used qpst to get me spc and set it to 000000. I know that there are settings in there that can basically "force" the internet to work on a phone, for lack of a better word or phrase. But i am not familiar with that deep of programming. there are things that i would try, that i have thought about doing through process of elimination and my own computer/phone knowledge but i really dont know how comfortable i would be doing anything like that without SOME sort of guide. ive already seen the 6800 guides to get net working through qpst, but i also read somewhere that modifying those settings could possible lead to bricking so i havent wanted to risk anything.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Did you try flashing from SD card? it's the most dependable way. Also, I had no radio issue on vogue and it wouldn't recognize my phone or flash over usb so sd was the only option and it worked. However it worked on the second time. Screen showed failed for the radio part first time, second time all was ok.
Anyway, if its sprint phone try running official rom from sd card, maybe it will fix some things.
As far as, entering those special characters in qpst, i don't think it will brick the phone but it definitely won't connect to net if they are wrong. I would only suggest going that route if you can find other working phone and copy those values (I don't even know which ones cricket uses) to your phone to be sure that part is not the weak link.
hope it helps
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue