PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro CDMA (MR5)
Carrier: MetroPCS

Tekzel is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tekzel Send a message via MSN to Tekzel
Changing ROM, different carrier from original, will it have to be reprogrammed?

Hi, I have searched and searched for the answer to this, didn't want to ask it and have the answer right in my face!

I have an HTC Touch VOGUE from Sprint, that had an Alltel rom written to it then reprogrammed for my carrier, MetroPCS. The guy I got it from said they did it that way because Alltel was easier to program or something. He also said these particular devices have problems with WM6.1 and thats why it only has WM6 on it and he didn't recommend me upgrading it. I kinda doubt that, but maybe someone here knows if this is true?

Anyway, the question is if I DO upgrade it to WM6.1 or wait for a custom WM6.5 rom when it is released, will I have to reprogram it for MetroPCS after the new rom is installed, or is it only the USER data that is wiped by the rom upgrade? If the carrier configuration is overwritten, can I just go in and write down all the data and then after the upgrade go back in and plug it all back in (maybe there are only certain fields I need to record?) and have it work on the new rom?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Changing ROM, different carrier from original, will it have to be reprogrammed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzel View Post
Hi, I have searched and searched for the answer to this, didn't want to ask it and have the answer right in my face!

I have an HTC Touch VOGUE from Sprint, that had an Alltel rom written to it then reprogrammed for my carrier, MetroPCS. The guy I got it from said they did it that way because Alltel was easier to program or something. He also said these particular devices have problems with WM6.1 and thats why it only has WM6 on it and he didn't recommend me upgrading it. I kinda doubt that, but maybe someone here knows if this is true?

Anyway, the question is if I DO upgrade it to WM6.1 or wait for a custom WM6.5 rom when it is released, will I have to reprogram it for MetroPCS after the new rom is installed, or is it only the USER data that is wiped by the rom upgrade? If the carrier configuration is overwritten, can I just go in and write down all the data and then after the upgrade go back in and plug it all back in (maybe there are only certain fields I need to record?) and have it work on the new rom?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Firstly the douche you spoke to about 6 being better than 6.1 - he is an idiot LOL

Secondly - yes you will have to run an alltel and/or MetroPCS cab to provision the custom ROM to access the network, internet, mms-text, etc

As far as 6.5 ROM - there are alot of them right now and very fast and stable

Here is a small list

Vin225764 6.5 ROM - Stable, Quick, Constant working on it

WhosDaMans 6.5 ROM - Stable, Quick, Constant Work as well

ShadowFenders 6.5 ROM
- No personal info, good things said of this one

Infamousj012 6.5 ROM - Rather new ROM, no personal info on this one

NFSFANs 6.5 CHome/TF2D Hybrid ROM and his FAQ as well that can help you with unlocking, flashing and setting up your ROM in one spot (My personal choice as I use this one steady although I flash to various ROMs for testing and checking them out as I can)

As far as the phone, when you flash a ROM its wipes it right out and starts from the new fresh image and if you need to hard reset at any time - that ROM is what is re-flashed to the phone from within

Store your data on your SD Card (use PIM Backup or SPB Backup) like your emails, text, contacts, etc then when you flash you can use the restore option to put those items back

As far as choice of ROMs the best thing to do is to read each page of each thread of the ROMs in questions - screenshots are nice but lets face it they are screenshots and dont represent the speed, stability and issues that exist on a ROM so read and see who is having what problems, how often the Chef or others help users out and the like - the more support the more enjoyable and easier the upgrade will be

Detroit Doug

Last edited by detroit_doug; 04-25-2009 at 12:05 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Re: Changing ROM, different carrier from original, will it have to be reprogrammed?

Thanks Doug, I really appreciate all the great info. I figured he was off his rocker, but I just wanted to get third party confirmation. One more question though, I am VERY tempted to try that NFSFan ROM you recommended, but I really only want to do this once, its a pretty scary prospect for a phone newbie like myself. Should I wait until it is released and then do it, or just do that ROM there now and stay with it?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Thanks Doug, I really appreciate all the great info. I figured he was off his rocker, but I just wanted to get third party confirmation. One more question though, I am VERY tempted to try that NFSFan ROM you recommended, but I really only want to do this once, its a pretty scary prospect for a phone newbie like myself. Should I wait until it is released and then do it, or just do that ROM there now and stay with it?
If your going to wait for a "final" release - your showing your noobness to the Nth degree then LOL .. just kidding
Sorta

You'll never reach a final release, the reason is new things are discovered, new system files are ripped from newer phones, new apps and compatibilities are either created or discovered its a never ending travel for the Chefs as for the people whom flash their ROMs PLUS remember that WinMO 6.5 is pre-release -its not an official release from Microsoft or the Phone Manufactures of the devices but can be surprisingly stable and fast on our phones which it was never designed or intended for

If you want a 1-time flash - find a Stock or Custom 6.1 and enjoy, its older, stable tech that really isnt seeing any additional growth (not that its a bad thing) but as with most people they get through the jitters and put on the big boy/girl flasher underwear with extra soil protection and jump right in, and well, after that .. well ... Ill just let you know that Flashers Anonymous meetings take place the 3rd Wednesday of last week twice a month LOL

Detroit Doug
Old 04-25-2009, 12:45 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Haha, I read and reread... and reread the information on the NFSFan rom and the faq link you posted, and have decided I am going to pull on my big boy pants and go for it!

They didn't mention anything about writing down anything in the carrier configuration screen, so I assume the carrier cabs handle all that hard work for me. So it looks like I just have to unlock it (which should already be done, since it has already had an Alltell rom written to it), flash it, then install the MetroPCS carrier cab and it should be up and rocking. If it has already been unlocked to install the Alltel rom, if I go through the unlock procedure, there shouldn't be any bad mojo with that?

I have already backed it up with SPB backup, plus I sync with Outlook on my PC so all my contacts are there. I use IMAP for my email so nothing to save there.

I think I am ready to do this! I already downloaded the unlocker, v7 NFSFan rom and MetroPCS cab! Thanks again for the great help.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:23 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Well, I flashed the NFSFan rom and so far so great. Wierdly, after doing everything, new rom and hard reset and all that, it STILL worked on MetroPCS before I installed the carrier cab. I still installed it though, because the instructions said so

Lots to like in this new rom! I had a few virtual keyboards installed before but NONE of them are as awesome as the one included in this rom. I find it faster to use the qwerty keyboard with my thumbs than with the stylus now.

The only thing not working yet is the internet, I got it all configured as far as I could tell, but it still doesn't work. All in good time though. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Well, I flashed the NFSFan rom and so far so great. Wierdly, after doing everything, new rom and hard reset and all that, it STILL worked on MetroPCS before I installed the carrier cab. I still installed it though, because the instructions said so

Lots to like in this new rom! I had a few virtual keyboards installed before but NONE of them are as awesome as the one included in this rom. I find it faster to use the qwerty keyboard with my thumbs than with the stylus now.

The only thing not working yet is the internet, I got it all configured as far as I could tell, but it still doesn't work. All in good time though. Thanks again
No problem, in the FAQ or the Thread itself someone has posted the settings needed for MetroPCS in there - I just woke up and cant remember or find it but it is in there.

Best bet, open the thread and along top just above the first post on what ever page your at to the right is "search" you can search in just a certain thread so use that and find the MetroPCS posts and your answer will be there

glad to hear your almost up and going LOL

Detroit Doug
Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Well, I am fully functional now. I found a post on the xda-developers forum, thanks for that suggestion. It was late last night and I wasn't thinking straight, or searching for MetroPCS might have been more obvious

Thanks again, I like this rom a LOT.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue