PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch 6900
Carrier: Sprint

djohn554 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to keep Texts from splitting at 160 characters

My incoming Texts messages have always truncated at 160 characters - which is what I want.

For some reason, today they started splitting into multiple messages. I receive messages from computers and I want it to truncate at 160.

How can I change it back to cutting off at 160 instead of splitting up into multiple messages?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: low tech vzw

imdarkside is becoming a great contributor
Re: How to keep Texts from splitting at 160 characters

messages split at 160. if you go over 160 it will appear as a second message.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn554 View Post
My incoming Texts messages have always truncated at 160 characters - which is what I want.

For some reason, today they started splitting into multiple messages. I receive messages from computers and I want it to truncate at 160.

How can I change it back to cutting off at 160 instead of splitting up into multiple messages?

Thanks.
That's unusual. Are you sure it wasn't specific to who sent them?

Here's an excerpt from HowStuffWorks.com
Why 160 Characters?
... the 160-character limit is not absolute. Length limitations may vary depending on the network, phone model and wireless carrier. Some phones don't allow you to keep typing once the 160-character limit is reached. You must send your message before continuing. However, some services will automatically break any message you send into chunks of 160 characters or less. So, you can type and send a long message, but it will be delivered as several messages.

I've experienced both truncating and splitting in the past with different phones and companies. Maybe call your service provider to see if that's an option they can change. I looked in my Sprint Touch phone and there were no options regarding this.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Slorizon

joshkeller77 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjoshkeller77 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjoshkeller77 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjoshkeller77 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn554 View Post

Thanks.
This is due to the way that messages are handled by WM and cannot be improved until WM or the providers provide new software to enable eSMS (I still think it is funny that our phones can run emulators, sling player, you name it, but we are killed by the most simple applications that run great on a free Verizon phone). If you are on other phones they can handle eSMS messages (see here for explanation).

Every now and again I will have issues with Verizon MMS and SMS where it will truncate the message and the second part over 160 characters is lost altogether. I will then reinstall the Arcsoft file that I have attached and it will work again. This will not combine the messages into one, but it will fix if you are losing the second part.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch / Mogul
Carrier: VZW

ems275 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkeller77 View Post
Every now and again I will have issues with Verizon MMS and SMS where it will truncate the message and the second part over 160 characters is lost altogether. I will then reinstall the Arcsoft file that I have attached and it will work again. This will not combine the messages into one, but it will fix if you are losing the second part.
What file are you talking about, I didn't see one posted and would love this to fix loosing the 2nd part of all my sms messages. Can you please re-post it.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkeller77 View Post
This is due to the way that messages are handled by WM and cannot be improved until WM or the providers provide new software to enable eSMS (I still think it is funny that our phones can run emulators, sling player, you name it, but we are killed by the most simple applications that run great on a free Verizon phone). If you are on other phones they can handle eSMS messages (see here for explanation).

EMS = Less than MMS.
Even says so in the link to the explanation you gave.
Therefore we have something better than EMS.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
EMS = Less than MMS.
Even says so in the link to the explanation you gave.
Therefore we have something better than EMS.
I always thought EMS showed up if you were having a heart attack, which would make them better than MMS in my book!
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch / Mogul
Carrier: VZW

ems275 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
I always thought EMS showed up if you were having a heart attack, which would make them better than MMS in my book!
So sorry to continue the off topic humor, but I could not resist.

We always called it E-arn M-oney S-leeping, but we still would show up if you were having a Heart Attack, so yes defintely better than MMS. )

Last edited by ems275; 04-04-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue