PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

user60396561 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS on XV6900 Without Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
This is confirmed using both mine and my wife's XV6900 with data blocked on my wife's phone:

Verizon official 3.37.78 or leaked 3.37.77, customization or no customization, Valhalla

Change the registry setting in Valhalla GPSServer as follows:

HKLM\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\Mode=0, then soft reset.

This one disables the AGPS mode to use the GPS standalone mode. So no data plan is necessary. The lock is not as fast as agps but still locks in 2 min in cold start in open ground. The satellite number is not as many either, but still OK to get Google Maps and iGuidance working.

If it doesn't lock sometimes, just soft reset the phone.

Thanks Thenikonian for the great tips!
Stevens, I just ordered a xv6900 and am planning to put a data block. What was your wife's exact setup? 3.37.78 or leaked 3.37.77, customization or no customization? I saw you had 3.37.78 customization but I'm not sure if you have a data plan. So I just wanted to copy your wife's setup so there's no problems. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue & apache
Carrier: Verizon

mr4r4n is becoming a great contributor

what radio do you guys generally recommend? right now im using 3.42.30 and while phonecalls have been good i havent actually been able to get a gps lock yet, very hit and miss with finding sats, no locks yet, any ideas and radio that will work good for me on VZW in nyc?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Big Red VZW

Reddog80p is keeping up the good workReddog80p is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
This is confirmed using both mine and my wife's XV6900 with data blocked on my wife's phone:

Verizon official 3.37.78 or leaked 3.37.77, customization or no customization, Valhalla

Change the registry setting in Valhalla GPSServer as follows:

HKLM\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\Mode=0, then soft reset.

This one disables the AGPS mode to use the GPS standalone mode. So no data plan is necessary. The lock is not as fast as agps but still locks in 2 min in cold start in open ground. The satellite number is not as many either, but still OK to get Google Maps and iGuidance working.

If it doesn't lock sometimes, just soft reset the phone.

Thanks Thenikonian for the great tips!
Don't you need a data plan to get the maps? If so it totally defeats the "gps without data" in the first place, unless there is alternative software????

MR4,

As I understand it, as long as you have a gps capable radio you should be good. I don't think one is preferred over another one.

Last edited by Reddog80p; 04-27-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue & apache

mr4r4n is becoming a great contributor

i was wondering because my radio is VERY glitchy with current radio on gps flashing multiple sats for a split second then going back to one or two or almost locking then making them all disapear , i wanted to try and flash something else cuz i beleive the one i used was from a sprint rom, im going to end up trying it again today using a vzw rom/radio then making my own again
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6900

stevens is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by user60396561 View Post
Stevens, I just ordered a xv6900 and am planning to put a data block. What was your wife's exact setup? 3.37.78 or leaked 3.37.77, customization or no customization? I saw you had 3.37.78 customization but I'm not sure if you have a data plan. So I just wanted to copy your wife's setup so there's no problems. Thanks!
3.37.78 with customization.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog80p View Post
Don't you need a data plan to get the maps? If so it totally defeats the "gps without data" in the first place, unless there is alternative software????

MR4,

As I understand it, as long as you have a gps capable radio you should be good. I don't think one is preferred over another one.
I'm using iGuidance installed in my 6900, so I don't need the data plan. If you're using Google Maps or Live Search, then yes you'll need data plan to download the maps.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

user60396561 is just getting started

Stevens,

I installed official Verizon Windows Mobile 6.1 update with Radio 3.37.78 and customization from
http://www.pcdphones.com/downloads/X...grade_file.zip
Device information shows ROM 3.14.605.1, ROM date 10/3/08, Radio 3.37.78, PRL 51344, PRI 2.03_002

I installed "Valhalla Legends GPSServer.cab" I found on the web and changed HKLM\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\Mode=0

I installed iGuidance v4.0 onto the phone and put my maps on MicroSD. I did autodetect GPS to Comm4/Baud4800. Not sure what to do now? Is it suppose to automatically get a GPS signal and my location? I manually entered my location and a destination, and I get "Waiting for GPS Signal." Nothing after that.

The phone is activated on Verizon with Data Block.

Any ideas on why I can't get a GPS signal? Is there a way to test/confirm it working? Did you need to change any other settings like COM, LOCATION (911 only?), registry keys? Any help appreciated. If anything, I may just start all over.

I saw you posted a link to http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...1493&page=6#59. but it looks like it's instructions to fix aGPS not GPS standalone and using a custom rom not Verizon rom? Unless I missed something.

Last edited by user60396561; 04-30-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: v6850
Carrier: verizonwirelee

learner1 is a n00b

you need prime GPS first, then it will work. I installed the official verizon rom too, but I didn't let customization run. i don't install GPSServer too. GPS is working with TomTom. but I can't let phone go to sleep. GPS only work after soft-reset before go to sleep.
Quote:
Stevens,

I installed official Verizon Windows Mobile 6.1 update with Radio 3.37.78 and customization from
Device information shows ROM 3.14.605.1, ROM date 10/3/08, Radio 3.37.78, PRL 51344, PRI 2.03_002

I installed "Valhalla Legends GPSServer.cab" I found on the web and changed HKLM\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\Mode=0

I installed iGuidance v4.0 onto the phone and put my maps on MicroSD. I did autodetect GPS to Comm4/Baud4800. Not sure what to do now? Is it suppose to automatically get a GPS signal and my location? I manually entered my location and a destination, and I get "Waiting for GPS Signal." Nothing after that.

Any ideas on why I can't get a GPS signal? Is there a way to test/confirm it working? Did you need to change any other settings like COM, LOCATION (911 only?), registry keys? Any help appreciated. If anything, I may just start all over.

I saw you posted a link to http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...1493&page=6#59. but it looks like it's instructions to fix aGPS not GPS standalone and using a custom rom not Verizon rom? Unless I missed something.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Ozone or Saga

windorabug is a n00b

you need to set LOCATION to ON, not 911
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Stevens,

To get it working, do the follwing:
  1. Turn GPS Location to ON.
  2. Install GPS Toggle from http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle and run it to prime the GPS
  3. Install GPS Gate 2.6 and follow the instruction from my other post here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...133#post730133
Hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue