PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: verizon

WythDryden is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Rom for New Flasher

Hey guys, I know there's a ton of roms here, but there's just so much information it's hard to know where to start so please bear with me.

I've been thinking about changing to a custom rom for a little while, but not sure which one would be good to start with and what actual steps I need to take. I did upgrade to the leaked vzw 6.1 release (and let customizations run), so my radio is 3.37.77. I believe I still would have to unlock, which I think would be with the newer unlocker because it's the gps/rev a rom?

Also, would I need to reinstall whatever programs I have installed even though I installed them to the storage card? I would think yes, because the registry would still be changing, but like I said, I'm still a total newb.

Any advice you guys could offer would be great, and I totally appreciate it! I've been following the forums here for a long while, and reading as much as I can, but a little advice goes a long way.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue, HTC 5800, Touch it like a Pro!
Carrier: Verizon

shadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: New Rom for New Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WythDryden View Post
Hey guys, I know there's a ton of roms here, but there's just so much information it's hard to know where to start so please bear with me.

I've been thinking about changing to a custom rom for a little while, but not sure which one would be good to start with and what actual steps I need to take. I did upgrade to the leaked vzw 6.1 release (and let customizations run), so my radio is 3.37.77. I believe I still would have to unlock, which I think would be with the newer unlocker because it's the gps/rev a rom?

Also, would I need to reinstall whatever programs I have installed even though I installed them to the storage card? I would think yes, because the registry would still be changing, but like I said, I'm still a total newb.

Any advice you guys could offer would be great, and I totally appreciate it! I've been following the forums here for a long while, and reading as much as I can, but a little advice goes a long way.

Thanks again!
Here is a tutorial for unlocking your phone http://www.ppckitchen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305
Heres ImCokeMan's unlocker: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20370

Also heres a link to my favorite rom, NFSFAN over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=432487

But try out a bunch of different ROMs and see which one you like best. I would also suggest Old_Man_Jenkins ROM or Dette's

Good luck!

Also yes all of your apps and stuff are uninstalled because it is basically a hard reset.
However just save the cabs on your storage card and that makes stuff a lot easier and once you learn more, do your own user customizations.

***ZEBRAPPC***

zebra cases are for L337 pimps.

Last edited by shadowfender42; 02-23-2009 at 09:25 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Great advice! Thank you so much. One more question, is there any way to do a backup that would completely restore my phone to the state it's currently in? I guess maybe it would be creating a rom from what's already on my phone. I'd just like to have something in case I didn't like the new rom to be able to revert back effortlessly. I have spb backup, but that wouldn't quite be as extensive, in regards of program, setup, and everything else.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....
Carrier: Sprint

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Just back up your info with spb and if you don't like the custom ROM flash back to stock
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker

shadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Great advice! Thank you so much. One more question, is there any way to do a backup that would completely restore my phone to the state it's currently in? I guess maybe it would be creating a rom from what's already on my phone. I'd just like to have something in case I didn't like the new rom to be able to revert back effortlessly. I have spb backup, but that wouldn't quite be as extensive, in regards of program, setup, and everything else.

Thanks again!
Well I just know that you can make your own user customizations, which I think is really advanced stuff, not sure and also theres PIM backup for contacts, messages, email, stuff like that.
http://www.dotfred.net/
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:

Thanks again!
u can use sprite backup to back up everything,even storage card,but for restore u must use the same rom as in backing up.otherwise it can duplicate bunch of programms
sprite is good when u planning to use 1 rom for a long time

Last edited by vin255764; 02-24-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm running NFSFAN's rom, and it's pretty great, thanks for the tip again. One concern is that before when I connected to my computer via bluetooth before I could use the data from there to be able to surf the internet, or sync oggsync ota, but now it seems to want to dial for a data connection. What settings do I need to change to make sure this is working?

Also, I remember seeing the facebook integration so that you could automatically download pictures to save to your contacts in your phonebook.. I don't remember if it was part of wm 6.5 or something, but is this available in the form of a cab anywhere?

Thanks again for the help, ppcgeeks is such a great community, you're not going to find one like this anywhere else!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Hmmm try usb to pc settings? Idk bout that. And as the photo download thing cant you just hold a tap on the screen and tap save image as? then just set that image as the contact picture.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Turned out the problem was with oggsync afterall. Worked around it by setting up google sync and microsoft exchange.. Still no word on the automated facebook contact pictures though. I know you could manually do it, but you'd have to go to every page for every contact, where this was completely automated, made it look like going through your whole phonebook would be easy..

Edit: I think I might've found what I was looking for with a program called SkyBook. It's running through now, I'll update when I find out whether it's worth having or not, for anyone interested.

Edit: Turns out SkyBook is not worth anything at all as I couldn't get it's main feature to work. Though I did find a work around. I downloaded the files here: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/10/...-facebook.html, made sure I had .Net framework 3.5 installed, and then ran it. (The screen that comes up is your google account and password, it's not very clear). I let it run, and when I checked my contacts in my google account it didn't have any pictures showing up, but I sync'd anyways. I checked after the sync and voila! Not every contact worked (Shows the '?' picture you see in facebook at times), but for the most part it did. Hope this helps someone. Should I consider making this a seperate thread?

Last edited by WythDryden; 02-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Turned out the problem was with oggsync afterall. Worked around it by setting up google sync and microsoft exchange.. Still no word on the automated facebook contact pictures though. I know you could manually do it, but you'd have to go to every page for every contact, where this was completely automated, made it look like going through your whole phonebook would be easy..

Edit: I think I might've found what I was looking for with a program called SkyBook. It's running through now, I'll update when I find out whether it's worth having or not, for anyone interested.

Edit: Turns out SkyBook is not worth anything at all as I couldn't get it's main feature to work. Though I did find a work around. I downloaded the files here: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/10/...-facebook.html, made sure I had .Net framework 3.5 installed, and then ran it. (The screen that comes up is your google account and password, it's not very clear). I let it run, and when I checked my contacts in my google account it didn't have any pictures showing up, but I sync'd anyways. I checked after the sync and voila! Not every contact worked (Shows the '?' picture you see in facebook at times), but for the most part it did. Hope this helps someone. Should I consider making this a seperate thread?
Possibly, in the Ppc software area. Bound to make someones life easier.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue