PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 02:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: NYB

Old Faithful is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No Service after ugrading ROM HTC Touch

Hey Folks,

I was having trouble with connections in the past few days and decided to reflash my phone.

So I did, and now I have No Service! I read elsewhere that I may need an A-Key, however when I look at it using EPST (##778#), there is none. Also, I noticed that my activation date (dec 27, 200 disappeared as well, as did my slot cycle index setting, which reverted to 2 from my setting of 0.

Does flashing mess up the EPST settings? I've tried reflashing twice, to no avail... NO SERVICE!!!

Any ideas what i could do myself? I need this phone for work!!!

TIA for your help!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work
Re: No Service after ugrading ROM HTC Touch

Your going to have to call your service provider to have them take a look either at your area or recent activity in your area for the service issues.

(As a trick I would try dialing *22800 - *22805 as with windows mobile phones if it can detect a signal from a roaming carrier it will sometimes revert your phone signal back to the original carrier and then no issue at that point. These will call different carriers programing which you NEVER need to complete but just call to get operator (some codes dont work in certain areas so dont fret if it just hangs up ))

That being said theres a good chance it can still fail. IF you ever get enough signal for an OTA then thats when you may need to get yourself an A-Key (which even when you have one or add one wont show in EPST)

That would be an authentication issue that appears with windows mobile when flashing or hard resetting a phone. Again you would normally have to call your service provider to even get a new correct A-Key anyways.

If all else fails try to relock your phone and program it to see how it goes. That will let you know if its truely an area issue or a phone issue. If it doesnt work once relocked then you can take it that the phone is ok and will need to have your carrier investigate your signal in the area. If it is working at that point then try to reflash it later on. if its only your pda and there are others that dont report the problem then try to have your carrier replace your relocked phone (if you dont feel bad about sending in a phone you KNOW you flashed at one point. )
Anyways good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by ca2l3vin; 02-16-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thanks for your input, ca2l3vin.

Let me explain the situation a bit more in detail.

The phone was working fine, except for the coccasional loss of data connection in the middle of a download. In other words, until I relocked and reloaded the OEM ROM tonight, I was able make and receive calls no problems.

The problems I am experiencing happened right after I reloaded the OEM flash. Also, I haven't been able to reload any ROMs from the computer, I get RUU errors 320 and 328, so I've had to load them all from the storage card.

As far as signal goes, there simply is none whatsoever. The phone starts OFF, and when I attempt to turn it back on, it says "No Service". So I cannot make place any calls whatsoever.

It's quite upsetting
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Faithful View Post
Thanks for your input, ca2l3vin.

Let me explain the situation a bit more in detail.

The phone was working fine, except for the coccasional loss of data connection in the middle of a download. In other words, until I relocked and reloaded the OEM ROM tonight, I was able make and receive calls no problems.

The problems I am experiencing happened right after I reloaded the OEM flash. Also, I haven't been able to reload any ROMs from the computer, I get RUU errors 320 and 328, so I've had to load them all from the storage card.

As far as signal goes, there simply is none whatsoever. The phone starts OFF, and when I attempt to turn it back on, it says "No Service". So I cannot make place any calls whatsoever.

It's quite upsetting

OK then, lets start at the beginning and work our way into the problem if we can...

1st - turn off the phone then back on, in the lower right of the screen what is displayed there - there should be 3 settings displayed

P
R
D

Within the R setting is there a number or a message of "no radio"

2nd - lets step back and find out the process in which you flashed
Did you unlock with IMCokeMans unlocker utility and which one?

3rd - Did you upgrade the radio (the R from above) what is the version number from the R settings

4th - what ROM are you using? did you grab a GSM ROM and use it mistakenly? or perhaps one for a different yet similar phone? (believe me it does happen often)

* what carrier is your plan with?

Lets start with those and get some idea where we are going and then go from there

Detroit Doug

Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_doug View Post
OK then, lets start at the beginning and work our way into the problem if we can...
Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated!

Quote:
1st - turn off the phone then back on, in the lower right of the screen what is displayed there - there should be 3 settings displayed

P
R
D

Within the R setting is there a number or a message of "no radio"
R: 3.42.50

Quote:
2nd - lets step back and find out the process in which you flashed
Did you unlock with IMCokeMans unlocker utility and which one?
early january: used bell 3.09.666 OEM carrier EXE. all went fine, updated he radio to 3.42.50 ROM. This is the latest Carrier EXE, directly from HTC. At that point the phone worked flawlessly.

end of january: decided to try unlocking to load NFSFAN 1.27 ROM (uh-oh!).
- used coke 2.31 loader to unlock, then watched it display Coke 2.31 upon entering boot loader (tricolor) mode.
- ran the RUU Upgrade Utility and loaded the NFSFAN 1.27 ROM. All went normally.
- used it for a day, had some bugs in it (touch flo issues in today screen), had too many apps I don't use.... Anyway, decided decided to revert to the OEM ROM the next day.
- Couldn't reload the OEM ROM directly from the RUU upgrade: getting RUU error 328(Invalid Command). Started to get worried...
- Ran the carrier exe again and located the temp directory where its 20 constituant files were located and copied the VOGUIMG.nbh to a new directory.
- installed it on my FAT32 formatted OEM 512MB SD card, then put it in bootlader mode. everything went automatically after that, it flashed from there, let the customizations run after the first run and everything went back to normal, except for the bootloader, which stayed as "coke 2.31".
- used the phone for about 2 weeks like that, until last night, after I read that I should have reloaded the Coke 0.40 loader, which allows overwriting the loader when the carrier exe is run again, so that I could reload the carrier exe and get everything back to normal.
- During the last two weeks, i di experinece some odd diffiuclties. It seemed to me that the signal wasn't as good. although the signal strength seemd to be failry similar to before. in other words, it seemed to be abit weaker. Also, I tried some large (10-40MB) downlods, whii failed (interrupted connections). That's when I figured something must have gone wrong in previous flashes.

Last night, decided to do it the proper way, by loading the Coke 0.40 loader, so that running the carrier EXE would be possible (I thought) and revert everything back to OEM, loader and ROM.
- after getting the 0.40 Coke loader in, it automatically continued and booted by itself while I was reading the instructions on the loader DOS box. Never thought anything about it, but am now wondering if I didn't go wrong right there?
- Tried to run the Carrier EXE to reload the latest Bell ROM, failed with error 328 (Invalid Conmmand) again!. So I reloaded the carrier VOGUIMG.nbh file from the sd card like I did previously, and everything went back to normal (loader and software), EXCEPT that now the phone was OFF. No problem, I thought, and activated it from the comm manager. Unfortunately, got No Service
- Went to bed at 5, after trying all these different avenues, uninstalling and reinstalling WMDC and Active Sync on each of my 2 computers (one Vista, the other XP). Couldn't get it to work on the XP, so didn't pursue that avenue.
- Posted on the forums for help, then at 5, went to bed.

This morning, woke up at 9 so I would one of the first to call customer service, for a quick answer with little waiting time.
- Brewed a strong coffee and called customer service. Was answered to very rapidly.
- Asked if it was possible that I had lost the A-Key in the flashing process. Was scolded for even playing with the PST (heck, I'm an upfront guy)
- Was told to reset the phone (cold boot, which I tried before with no different result).
- at that point was told my phone was probably defective, after telling the tech that I had been experiencing data comnection problems of late, so the tech's interpretation of a defective phone seemed valid, even if I was told that playing with the PST could be the cause of the problem, and that he couldn't fix it over the phone, that it would have to be sent in (under warranty), which would take anywhere from 2 weeks to one month (!).
- decided to try unlocking again with 2.31 unloacker, and loaded the latest NFSFAN ROM (1.2. This time again, surprisingly, the RUU update went normally from the USB. In other words, running NFSFAN's ROM with the RUU utility went without any problems. But upon phone restart, still no phone service!
- Ran QPST to check the configuration and compare with the one I had saved back in January, when I first got the phone. Noticed the one I just read and the backup one were of different sizes. Tried loading that, and soft reset the phone again. No difference!
- Ran out of ideas and came back online to check any new messages... Thanks for your timely help!!!

Quote:
3rd - Did you upgrade the radio (the R from above) what is the version number from the R settings
First thing I did, running the Bell OEM Carrier EXE. The radio worked great at that point, seemingly better than when I got the phone, which had the original ROM from the year before. In any case the phone worked better with the nwe ROM.

Quote:
4th - what ROM are you using? did you grab a GSM ROM and use it mistakenly? or perhaps one for a different yet similar phone? (believe me it does happen often)
Nope, I did not. I read for several weeks and many hours before attempting unloccking the phone. I set the computer to no hibernation, deactivated my AV and firewall as well.

Quote:
* what carrier is your plan with?
Bell Mobility

Quote:
Lets start with those and get some idea where we are going and then go from there

Detroit Doug
Hope your eyes aren't burning out from all that reading, and that I've been clear and detailed enough...

Thanks for helping!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

OK, sounds pretty FUBARed so I personally would start from scratch (something like this somewhat has occurred to me in the past on a couple phones and this is how I had to fix it)

1) download another copy of IMCokemans unlocker (2.41 not the .40)

2) connect your phone via AS and run the unlocked 2 times

3) download a copy of the 3.42.50 radio and flash the phone again twice

4) download the lasted carrier base ROM you can and flash your phone then hard reset it once all the customizations have completed

once satisfied the phone is again functional, attempt to flash to the custom ROM of your choice and be sure you have a copy of the carrier cab for your carrier on the SD card as well - just in case

You can find the needed files on here or over at XDA's site, just make sure you have them all available and ready to use - you stated your using a vista and an XP pc but were unable to connect to the XP so you gave up on that, Im assuming the Vista would connect so that is why I gave the directions I did - if you do NOT have PC connections to your phone you can move the card to a SD Card reader (picked up cheap enough) and manually copy to it then re-insert the card into your phone

Detroit Doug
Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

WOW!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!! I just finsihed another post, mostly a question to ImCokeMan, as I wonder if the problem did not happen because the coke loader batch files are not working the way they should... In my case, after running the loader, the phone would reboot and run the customizations, and Ii would have to exit the coke loader batch file with control-c...

In the meantime I'm going to try your solution right away!!! Thanks a million, man!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Ok a few q's...

Where is Bell's 3.42.50 radio? Is that in the file 'Special_4350_For_BM.nbh"? then I guess I should load that first from the SD card then, after running the 2.41 unlocker twice?

Any reason why flashing has to be done twice?

I'll keep you posted!!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Faithful View Post
Ok a few q's...

Where is Bell's 3.42.50 radio? Is that in the file 'Special_4350_For_BM.nbh"? then I guess I should load that first from the SD card then, after running the 2.41 unlocker twice?

Any reason why flashing has to be done twice?

I'll keep you posted!!
No problem, if it works glad I could help..
As for the file "Special_4350_For_BM.nbh" Im not sure at all, Im a sprint user so I dont know what the "special" part of it is but the rest seem related to the BM (Bell Mobile) but I would look for something more generic than something "special" after all you want it to get back to working after all LOL

As for the double flashing, every custom ROM I install on my phones I always do twice, seems to work even better after the 2nd flash, but in your case I state to flash twice as that is how I had to do it, when I double flashed each step it finally worked for me where the single flashing in prior attempts would always seem to crap out for some reason, besides it doesnt take long per flash so it cant hurt.

Detroit Doug
Old 02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
As for the file "Special_4350_For_BM.nbh" Im not sure at all, Im a sprint user so I dont know what the "special" part of it is but the rest seem related to the BM (Bell Mobile) but I would look for something more generic than something "special" after all you want it to get back to working after all LOL
So I loaded that "Special 4350..." file on the SD card renaming it to VOGUIMG.nbh, like you do when your unlocker won't load from WMDC or ActiveSync, and the result was, NO RADIO and it stuck in the bell splash screen. So I presume it is a radio uninstaller, but can't be sure. No one from HTC on these forums?

Anyway after that I reloaded the Bell OEM NBH and I was back to where I was, no phone service. I then loaded the cab file that's in the OEM carrier exe, PPST____.cab, which I believe loads the PRL, still no joy.

In other words, I've tried everything included in the carrier EXE that I could figure, but still no joy.

BTW, loading the carrier ROM does NOT overwrite the 2.31 Coke loader. That is, the only way to do it is to downgrade the loader, which is what I'm about to do.

I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
As for the double flashing, every custom ROM I install on my phones I always do twice, seems to work even better after the 2nd flash, but in your case I state to flash twice as that is how I had to do it, when I double flashed each step it finally worked for me where the single flashing in prior attempts would always seem to crap out for some reason, besides it doesnt take long per flash so it cant hurt.

Detroit Doug
Very strange. It's as if the first flash only results in a partial data write... Wouldn't that mean that the flash memory/flash memory writing process itself is defective?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue