PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Corrupt MicroSD card fix! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40834)

boobman 10-18-2008 09:53 PM

Corrupt MicroSD card fix!

Like many of you have had my memory card corrupted for a second time now. This is not a 100% and not even really a fix, but hopefully you will be able to get your lost pics or whatever else you lost.

As soon as you realize something is missing or wrong with your card DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CARD. Your files are still there but something has went wrong. If you write anything onto your card you could possibly be overwriting the files you want to get back.

1. You need to install Flash format. Do not use your corrupted memory card to do this.
2. Open the program and go to verify and repair. This may take a while. Eventually it will find all the corrupted files left on the card and give them numerical names with a chk file extension.
3. Move all the new .chk files to a safe place and run an app or bat file to rename the extensions ie .jpg for picture files.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find anything helpful when i was looking and just got lucky that the app i was using to format my card found some of my lost pics. Also i think its worth noting that I think the card gets corrupted while the vogue writes to the memory card so if it keeps happening to you try to keep apps off the card. It happened to me a while ago while running android. And i just now got around to formatting the card.

Sandlot 10-19-2008 08:14 AM

Re: Corrupt MicroSD card fix!

I used Recuva the last (and only) time it happened. It is a free program from the same people that do CCleaner (Crap Cleaner). Use it on a PC and extract the files to some place on your hard drive where they will be easy to reorganize. You don't have to rename anything, and as long as you haven't written anything to the card after the glitch, the only thing you lose is the folder structure. One of the first options in the recovery wizard is to recover files from a card.

It can be found here:

http://www.recuva.com/download

If it works well (and it will) I suggest you donate.

I now back up my storage card whenever I change something on it intentionally and since I started doing this I have not had need for the backups.

Compusmurf 10-19-2008 08:27 AM

hey boobman.

Are you using the 6.1 official upgrade or no?

hibby50 10-19-2008 08:29 AM

rofl boobman

toinejuan 10-19-2008 08:52 AM

I wish they made a mobile version of CCleaner, it would be the bomb!! I love that program.

acontrasto 10-20-2008 11:11 PM

Great info! I have recently had issues with my storage card, so I have been looking into the issue on my own, outside of PPCGeeks. I have stumbled across a very similar fix. You can use the same steps mentioned in the OP with a program called StorageTools developed by Softwinter. I was amazed at what happened when I Analyzed and then Repaired my storage card with StorageTools. All of my files appeared, although they were renamed to sequential numbered names. All I had to do was go through the files and change the extensions back to their original, which was sometimes a guess whether it was jpg, mp3, wav, cab, or any other various extensions that were on there.

One word of advice in addition to this great advice is: Make sure to remove all of this information from the storage card once you have restored it and save it to a safe place, ie. your computer. Then format the storage card, and then you can replace the files. I only suggest this because I did not do this the first time I restored my files, then within a few days the card became corrupt again and some of the files could not be recovered.

StorageTools

boobman 10-31-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandlot (Post 464196)
I used Recuva the last (and only) time it happened. It is a free program from the same people that do CCleaner (Crap Cleaner). Use it on a PC and extract the files to some place on your hard drive where they will be easy to reorganize. You don't have to rename anything, and as long as you haven't written anything to the card after the glitch, the only thing you lose is the folder structure. One of the first options in the recovery wizard is to recover files from a card.

It can be found here:

http://www.recuva.com/download

If it works well (and it will) I suggest you donate.

I now back up my storage card whenever I change something on it intentionally and since I started doing this I have not had need for the backups.

Good alternate method, when my card broke it was unreadable by my pc. So my way was the only thing that worked for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 464202)
hey boobman.

Are you using the 6.1 official upgrade or no?

No i was using an unofficial 6.1 rom (mustan) and i think running android a couple times is what did it for me. Now im using wdm's 2dmanilla rom.