PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: none yet

LA Shocker is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of buying a XV6900... But I got a few questions for the PROS!!

OK so I've had the e815 for about 4 year now and I love the thing. I've tried many phones to replace it. None could compare. I've played with a friends iPhone and love the response time and the way the menu flows. But I dislike the lack of options. (Plus I'm PC till I die). I've seen windows mobile phones with touch screens emulate the iPhone, and other hacks like free GPS navigation, but I was wondering if these were any good or even comparable.

My questions about the XV6900 are:

-Can you really "flash" the ROM and make use of the GPS, and by that I mean basically turning your phone in to a Tom Tom? (I belive I read this was possible with the Q9M)

-Is there apps out there where you can make the text buttons bigger, (basically like an iPhone) or does that come with the iPhone emulation.

-Can you make the whole thing have bigger buttons so that it would basically be using your fingers only? I don't know the term for doing something like this. But I guess it would be changing the UI or making a "Skin" for the UI

-Is there anyone out there that has this phone and also used an iPhone? If so how do the 2 compare in pros and cons.

-Are then other cool hacks that I haven't heard of? The one where I can play NES is nice. I had it on my Q9M, will that work on the XV6900?

I bet at this point you're are just like, wow dude just get flippin' iPhone... Well again, I hate MACs, but! I still respect them. They have a good work flow and ease of use. I see some of these PDA phones that look like they are only made for some businessman in need of spread sheets and instant e-mail and all that Jazz. But not me

I basically want an iPhone, but don't want to give Steve Jobs any more money. Or anyone at that. I've been using reverse engineered software since photoshop 2.0. I like the Idea of having total control, and not paying a dime for it. Some of these new touch screens like the Dare and the Voyager are a little too cookie cutter for my likeing.

Thank you in advance for any useful info you might be able to provide!!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 PM
unr
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond / HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

unr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to unr
Re: Thinking of buying a XV6900... But I got a few questions for the PROS!!

Yes, you can update to the official HTC/Sprint ROM to enable GPS and then install Tomtom. You can make some stuff bigger but keep in mind the screen it self is small. There are a lot of application out there that are designed to be used by fingers/touch, like the spb mobile shell interface. You can run emulators for NES/Genesis/SNES but they are hard to control due to the lack of buttons

I hightly modified both the Touch and the iPhone and the iPhone wins. The games cannot even be compared to games on the touch. Everything is easier to use, easier to see and the iPhone screen/interface is much more responsive. I love my touch but a jailbroken iPhone with certain apps installed gets my vote.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: none yet
Threadstarter

LA Shocker is a n00b
Re: Thinking of buying a XV6900... But I got a few questions for the PROS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
Yes, you can update to the official HTC/Sprint ROM to enable GPS and then install Tomtom. You can make some stuff bigger but keep in mind the screen it self is small. There are a lot of application out there that are designed to be used by fingers/touch, like the spb mobile shell interface. You can run emulators for NES/Genesis/SNES but they are hard to control due to the lack of buttons

I hightly modified both the Touch and the iPhone and the iPhone wins. The games cannot even be compared to games on the touch. Everything is easier to use, easier to see and the iPhone screen/interface is much more responsive. I love my touch but a jailbroken iPhone with certain apps installed gets my vote.

Now I would be using Verizon and not Sprint, could I still make the bootleg Tom Tom?? And would I get charged for usage on this??
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue