PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

thejunki is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Sync with Linux

I have just installed Ubuntu. It uses an email program called Evolution. Has anyone setup a successful sync? The most important is to sync the contacts and calendar. I have tried Multisync and it does not recognize the HTC Touch. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

Victor_A is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Victor_A Send a message via Yahoo to Victor_A
Re: Sync with Linux

I would also like to know if this is being done.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
t3k
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

t3k is a n00b

Check ubuntuforums.org. Last I checked there was something created to sync windows phones but it was not longer in progress and never really worked. Aside from that I never found anything to replace activesync.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunki View Post
I have just installed Ubuntu. It uses an email program called Evolution. Has anyone setup a successful sync? The most important is to sync the contacts and calendar. I have tried Multisync and it does not recognize the HTC Touch. Thanks for all your help.

Hey all there is 2 ways to achieve this

1) http://www.birdiesync.com/ this will help with Thunderbird and Sunbird (I know you asked about evolution but this will help you in the future should you need those apps synching as well)

and

2) Directly aimed at Evolution:

Synchronizing Windows Mobile PIM Data with Ubuntu
The default personal information manager (i.e., the Microsoft Outlook equivalent) in Ubuntu is called Evolution. Actually, it has a very similar look and feel to Outlook.
In order to start synching my Windows Mobile device with Evolution I had to install two programs: SynCE and Multisync. Installation was simple and configuration only took a few minutes (subject to the exception described below).

The biggest problem I encountered was configuring multisync properly. You see, you can only sync those items that are in identically-named categories. In other words, if you want to sync contacts that are in the "business" category on your phone with Evolution, you've got to have a category called "business" in Evolution.
[Edit: I have since discovered another annoyance: it appears that you can only sync one category of stuff at a time. In other words, if I want to sync all my contacts I have to go into options tell it to sync everything in my "personal" category, sync, and then go back into options and tell it to sync everything in my "business" category, etc.]
I'm not saying that it couldn't be easier. It definitely could. As a general matter, PalmOS devices seem to be supported better in Ubuntu than Windows Mobile devices.

Find the screenshots and article here:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/cms/blogs...ile_and_ubuntu

for the software go here:
http://www.synce.org/moin/FrontPage

http://multisync.sourceforge.net/news.php

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes for you

Detroit Doug

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

thejunki is a n00b

At this moment i dont care if I use Evolution or not. I will try the thunderbird idea. The page you quoted i have tried that and it really didnt work. it is like I am missing drivers somehow for the device (this would be the windows error).
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

synce was kinda broken on Hardy when I tried it a few weeks ago.
I just sync to the big repository in the sky (funambol, scheduleworld, google calendar, etc)
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Understood - not having ran Linux of any flavor (but Ubuntu and SuSE are favorites) recently (over 6 months) I cant recite step by step only give info Ive found and links Ive gathered - sorry bout that

if nothing else, perhaps WINE and then the device error might be corrected, just an idea

Detroit Doug
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue