PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: New Official rom & live & gps bug.

I think this theory is correct after thinking about it. When the first leaked ROM came out, I had no problems getting a GPS lock, but I was using an Exchange server to push my email (which doesn't seem to have this problem).

Once the later leaks came out, I started using Windows Live instead and my GPS was flaky. I've stopped using Windows Live and now it seems to be better again.

So I think the problem only exists with Windows Live and not all push mail apps.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH
Carrier: sprint

pjrey is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i dont have push enabled, and its taking 15+ minutes lately.. the other day not at all, i had it sitting still, for over 30 miniutes... right by the window.. clear day... it has gotten worse... locks used to be within 1 minute...
makes GPS useless, if you cant count on it...
p
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jhale83 is just getting started

Anyone have any idea if you can still set Windows Live to check your email periodically? I just set mine to check it every 4 hours because I don't get many emails there AT ALL so it wouldn't kill me to have it checked that infrequently.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (CDMA)
Carrier: Bell Mobility

ckl_88 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Ok, I think I found a bug and solution for us Vouge users with the new official rom. I noticed that after installing the new rom my gps got locks really fast with 10 to 15 seconds. Then after doing all my app installations and configured my email and finalized my phone, my gps would not lock as fast as it did right after a reflash.So anyways, I noticed that after opening up gps thru gpsviewer 1.5, the phone would not use agps to connect to the server to get the gps location. I realized that that was the whole problem in why I would not get a lock like i did before. So I hard resetted and then installed gpsviewer and immidietly noticed that agps was working since i noticed the phoneonnected automatically to edvo and got a gps lock within 15 secs. So... I traced down what was stopping agps from working. I noticed that right after I set live email to get emails "receive as they come" the a-gps would stop working. How did i noticed agps was not working? Well, after setting my live account to pushmail and reseting my phone.. when i launched gpsviewer and opened com4 the phone would not blink the arrows from edvo showing data being anffered. Remember when making live to receive email as then come, the phone always has a internet connection. So then I did a few more test and found out that disabling pushmail on my live account and just set it to "manual" and resetting the phone, my a-gps would work again and I would get 10 second locks. So if you still have gps issues.. disable you pushmail on live and reset the phone and then see if it locks fast.
I just downloaded gpsviewer and turned off my Windows Live push email and soft resetted. I got the signal bars with the antenna (which means no data connection). When I start up gpsviewer and click on the open GPS button, I can see it's working but is it supposed to open a data connection? Mine doesn't... I still have the antenna as opposed to the data arrows.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

wavetek is a n00b

Well I going to do a hard restart to test this theory out. Hopefully this is the issue because this is starting to become a major pain.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Hugo, I dont mind at all. Link thisvthread everywhere if you want. Mindfrost, I am leaning towards aeeing with you. I think pushmail might Not Be the issue since exchae does work. Looks like having a automatic connection established thru Live Pushmail might Be the problem.Pjrey, do this test. Reset you phone aand see id a data connection gets established automatically after the phone boots up completly. If any does then see what is making the phone connect to data after startup. Once found if any connection is automatically, then disable it and reset the phone again and once there is no data connection after start up then open gps thru gpsviewer and see if it works.Ckl-88, yes having bars mean no data connection.What should happen is once gpsviewer is launched it takes about 1 and half seconds for you phone to pop up the data connectiong being done and then about another 10 seconds you have a lock. I did Noticed once a successful gps connection is established then even if you have pushmail disabled, the phone WILL not connect to data. I think it tries to recall the recent past sat coordations, and for some the recent are no good soo it takes long. I think the gpsone chip is programed to do that. Just a guess. Best test is to do it in the morning when gps has not been used.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

los1223 is becoming a great contributor

For what it's worth, I read in another thread that removing the battery for 5 minutes has worked for some people. So I tried it and since then I've been getting a lock within 15 seconds even indoors and with Windows Live mail set to "as items arrive". I have the little EV square in my task bar, I launch Google Maps, and get a fix pretty quick. Just another possible fix for you guys to try. =)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 / Rhodium

Hugo381 is keeping up the good workHugo381 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by los1223 View Post
For what it's worth, I read in another thread that removing the battery for 5 minutes has worked for some people. So I tried it and since then I've been getting a lock within 15 seconds even indoors and with Windows Live mail set to "as items arrive". I have the little EV square in my task bar, I launch Google Maps, and get a fix pretty quick. Just another possible fix for you guys to try. =)
I might have to try that. If it works it will be a major gain. I just hope its not a temporary fix.

Does your phone keep getting GPS locks constantly or was this a single trial test and not repeated?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Ok... I woke up this morning and tried the 5 minute battery removal test. I actually waited 10 minutes to make sure and before I took the battery out I made sure I did have Live Push mail enabled. Ok... 10 minutes later after boot up and the phone acquired a automatic data connection I launched gpsviewer 1.5. I waited 3 minutes and nothing so I aborted the gps. I disabled Live pushmail , reset the phone and booted up. No automatic data connection was made and I launched gpsviewer 1.5, immediately a data connection was established and under 9 seconds I had a gps lock. I am indoors 7:27 in the morning and its cloudy as hell. I officially confirm this BUG and temp solution. Take it or just leave it. But I am convinced and Live pushmail being the culprit.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I think the battery helped because it wasn't done after flash...

I don't actually use Live, but any app that uses an always on data connection causes this..(scotty's sports...) basically if a normal data session is active before/during the agps attempt will prevent access to the PDE (agps) Server....

what is needed to fix this is figuring out how to access the pde server via a standard data connection, or a way to kill the data, before attempting agps.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue