PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc vogue
Carrier: sprint

suanccd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS while in europe?

I am currently traveling in Europe. I have a sprint touch running the leaked sprint rom (version 3.03.651.2). Is it possible to get GPS working with any phone/data coverage?

On HKLM/Software/SUPL AGPS, I have the following settings based on previous suggestion from other threads.
EnableAGPS=0
EnableGPSSmartMode=0
GPSMode=1

I can in fact see many satellites using the GPSview program. However, I can't get a lock even after 20 minutes. I tried with both airplane mode on and off. Still can't get a lock.

Anything else I should try? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

tantrum829 is keeping up the good worktantrum829 is keeping up the good work
Re: GPS while in europe?

You should be able to get a GPS lock even if your on another continent but as far as data needed to run any navigation program you might not get service over there.

Did you get GPS locks before when you where in the states and how long did it take ?

A soft reset and a cold start on your GPS viewer might help.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

there is an ongoing thread in the titan forum. to my knowledge only gsm phones have been able to use the onboard gps in europe. I'm confident (barring a conspiracy) that they will work, just gotta find the trick.

Official Titan built-in GPS Thread

please read the whole thread as there have been several attemps by different ppl traveling there, so your milage may vary. there is lots of good info burried in there.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: bell

neyakfanmah is a n00b

I was in Europe a month ago and my I was having problems as well trying to get the GPS to lock. I was in Spain, Italy and Paris and it was doing the same thing as yours. Then I went on a cruise and there was no obstructions and after about 20 minutes I got 5 or 6 sat locks. I was using the older GPSviewer program which wasn't very reliable in my experience. I am back home in Vancouver now and have since upgraded to the new GPSviewer and I get locks even inside my house which I never got with the old program. Why don't you try installing the newest GPSviewer if you haven't already done so and see what happens? Good Luck!!

Here's the link:
http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/suppor...loadCenter.jsp
Look for the GPS viewer program with the most recent date
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch sprint

mg48 is a n00b

I was in Italy for a week and never got a lock with my touch (sprint). I use tomtom here in the US without issue.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc vogue
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

suanccd is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
there is an ongoing thread in the titan forum. to my knowledge only gsm phones have been able to use the onboard gps in europe. I'm confident (barring a conspiracy) that they will work, just gotta find the trick.

Official Titan built-in GPS Thread

please read the whole thread as there have been several attemps by different ppl traveling there, so your milage may vary. there is lots of good info burried in there.
Thanks. I found in that thread lots of ppl having the exact same problem. Looks like there is no solution, at least for now.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 AM
N00b

commandant83 is a n00b

im going to europe and africa next week, i'll try gps on my cdma touch and get back to you guys
Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
N00b

commandant83 is a n00b

yep definetly nothing in germany or egypt. but if it was true gps would it still not pick up something. ?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Spencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Spencer_Moore

im in spain and i got n othing i cant even get the viewer to pick up satelites
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, the only reason I'm gonna suggest navizon is because it will keep the ppc ON when it's running, so the phone doesn't go to suspend.. if you left the phone with clear view of the sky for a good 24 hrs.... also If you had it connected to a laptop with internet, I think maybe navizon acts as a PDE server for itself even with just the gps signals. (since the touch doesn't have wifi, and no cdma over there.....)

anyway, I'm just waiting for someone to get it working, because theoreticly it should.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue