PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is the absolute best radio for GPS?

Now that there are, what, 8 some-odd radios to choose from, what is everyone using?

I have 3.42.30 on my Sprint Vogue, but I did not notice any positive GPS performance from any older radios... like the 3.37.10, or 3.37.15.... actually, I think it is a decrease in GPS performance, to be honest...

I think the best GPS I ever had was under custom ROMs, using 3.37.15, and running the 2.03 PPST file... I would get 5 second locks, but I still lost GPS after a day, and had to soft-reset...

That's still better than losing GPS entirely, on the latest Sprint ROM... but somehow, running IOTA seems to fix it... but turns into something you have to do quite often, it seems.

Has anyone found the perfect combination? Radio+ROM+Registry Settings+PPST+Technique?

I'm looking for the 5 second locks that I know the phone can do, because I used to have them... but along with stability... I don't want to have to soft-reset all the time just to use GPS... I definitely don't want to have to run IOTA every time, because I think that can cause Vision problems...
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
Re: What is the absolute best radio for GPS?

well, i've been getting 5-10 sec locks of about 8-11 sats outside (up to 14 once) running 3.03.651.2 and
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...=no1ustad+ppst. i know this to work because i've loaded the same setup on three phones with the same results.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ...
Carrier: Verizon

Pitobread is a n00b

The first link for the PPST is dead can you post it again?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Bell Mobility

patchez is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I have 3.42.30 on my Sprint Vogue, but I did not notice any positive GPS performance from any older radios... like the 3.37.10, or 3.37.15.... actually, I think it is a decrease in GPS performance, to be honest...
I have had similar results as well, the 3.42 radio just doesn't seem to be as 'good'
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
well, i've been getting 5-10 sec locks of about 8-11 sats outside (up to 14 once) running 3.03.651.2 and
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...=no1ustad+ppst. i know this to work because i've loaded the same setup on three phones with the same results.
So this is the "official" ROM that came out about two weeks ago, with the 3.42.30 radio? I had heard that the *.4 "official" Sprint ROM was nearly identical, aside from a few minor bug fixes...

Are you using the 2.04 PPST? Or did you cancel customizations? I'd swear that the 2.03 was working much better... I remember loading one of OMJ's ROMS that had GPSToday pre-installed, and before it even fully booted, (still showing splash screen,) it already had a lock on satellites... because once the Today screen appeared, GPSToday already showed my location... it also provided consistant 5-10 second locks... but I would still lose GPS after a day or so, requiring a soft-reset...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 AM
VIP Member

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP

here it is. reuploaded it. ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/No1USTAD/PPST.zip
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
So this is the "official" ROM that came out about two weeks ago, with the 3.42.30 radio? I had heard that the *.4 "official" Sprint ROM was nearly identical, aside from a few minor bug fixes...

Are you using the 2.04 PPST? Or did you cancel customizations? I'd swear that the 2.03 was working much better... I remember loading one of OMJ's ROMS that had GPSToday pre-installed, and before it even fully booted, (still showing splash screen,) it already had a lock on satellites... because once the Today screen appeared, GPSToday already showed my location... it also provided consistant 5-10 second locks... but I would still lose GPS after a day or so, requiring a soft-reset...
this is the *.2 radio. i have my phone working as good as i can imagine it ever working (sides the video drivers but that's a diff topic). umm. lets see.

it's a PPST from the titan, but for some reason, it was the only one that could get me 5-10 sec locks. i haven't reset my phone in about 4 days. and i've used it every day trying to figure out "problems" with igo8 that i finally got working. I currently have live search gmaps, gpstoday, ttn7 and igo8 all working like a charm. indoor locks in i'd say 15, 20 seconds max.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Cool, I'll have to try that PPST... I just loaded Dharvey's 2.8 ROM... and it gets 5-10 second locks... I wonder if Virsir_GPS.dll is the secret behind good GPS?

If this ROM looses GPS after a while, I'll try your PPST...

it's funny, I haven't even run PPST so far on this ROM... hrm
Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia - HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility - Telus Mobility

chrispipe is a n00b

You had a lock on 14 sats? That's strange, since the MAX is 12... Thanks for playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispipe View Post
You had a lock on 14 sats? That's strange, since the MAX is 12... Thanks for playing.
Are you sure about that? Most of what I've seen indicates that the chipset supports 20 parallel channels.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue