PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch

TheExoticFish is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PRLs

I saw somewhere where a PRL was offered to disable the roaming triangle on Sprint phones.

I was told with Alltel as soon as you leave your home calling area, even if you're still on the Alltel network you will see a Roaming Triangle. I noticed earlier that while still on Alltel, in another town that there was in fact the Roaming Triangle.

Does anyone offer PRLs that disable this unless you are actually roaming on another carrier, rather then if you're simply out of your area code so to speak.

I know years ago there was a program called PRL Read. That would read an encoded PRL and I believe re-encode one. Is this program or another like it still available ? If so, I'm pretty sure I could edit the PRL myself and just remove the part that triggers the triangle to show up.

Thanks

^ Click Me ^
Old 07-10-2008, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch [Vogue]
Carrier: Sprint

LauraAmerica is just getting started
Re: PRLs

I don't know if there's such PRL for Alltel but I'm pretty sure it is possible.

Two years ago I made a *magic* PRL for my CDMA carrier (outside US) and it gave me no-roaming all the time no matter where I was, also EvDO access for free (that one was for casualty, I don't know how exactly got it), and occasional free calls (like 1 of every 10 calls). Now the only trick that remains is the no-roaming (which was my first reason to made it since here in my country charges for roaming and income calls were really huge back then). BTW, my PRL sucks and won't work in USA --where a normal/official PRL from my carrier wouldn't have any problem. I haven't fixed that since I don't visit the States that much anyway

The program I used to edit the PRL is still working out there. It's called QPST; once you get it use its tool "RL" to edit/manage/create PRLs. My advice would be to get the PRL closest to what you want (one that already includes all the services, for instance) and then start editing it. Save it in the same format it was even if the program suggest alternatives, otherwise some of the info may be lost.

Regards.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Former Midwest Wireless forced to Alltel and soon to be Verizon

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

QPST pack has a prl editor, as far as removing the triangle on this phone you would have to enter a bunch of sids, the flashing triangle means roaming in your plan coverage area (nation wide) and a solid roaming means your getting charged.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

TheExoticFish is a n00b

I'm not trying to avoid roaming charges or anything. I only want the annoying flashing triangle to go away.

I went in and looked as a SID list and just added 4 additional SIDs to my phone in the Home SID area. I'll see if that removes the flashing triangle tomorrow when I go out.

Hopefully this works. It would be a lot easier then editing the PRL.

Does the solid triangle ALWAYS mean you'll be charged for data/voice ? We're on the Smart Choice family plan.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

the blinking means your on no charge roaming, or just out of home SID... SOLID means $$$, i know cuz i just talked to cs last night about this when i goto college next year, and how do you find the sid of the roaming area?

edit: n/m its under the 1x tab in the ##debug
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

TheExoticFish is a n00b

Yes, I know what it means. And IMO it's confusing to have a "roaming triangle" when you're not really roaming. Hopefully what I did will remove it while I'm on the Alltel network.
Tomorrow I'll drive up to the next Alltel tower and see what happens. I actually think that SID wasn't in the list I looked at because it's a newer tower so I may have to look it up once I get there, add it, and see if it takes the "roaming triangle" away.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker

can the sid be used to select preference of the carrier? like choose a verizon over a sprint tower?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

TheExoticFish is a n00b

Nope....
Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker

maybe try setting it to your first sid?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

TheExoticFish is a n00b

Your Home SID doesn't control what tower you lock onto. Putting in a Verizon/Sprint SID on the Alltel network will only allow you to get onto that tower and not show it as roaming on your phone (Assuming the SID thing does work).

Your PRL controls who you roam on.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue