PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

johnnymac is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS in Flight mode???

Guys, I am currently running the newest Sprint ROM. Everything is working great for the most part. I usually use Garmin XT with great success with all of the Kitchen's (I love OMJ's stuff) and now the newest OEM SPRINT ROM.

I'm away on Business in Canada at the moment and I wanted to use the GPS function but not the data or phone service due to the high price of international roaming. Well, the Garmin GPS will not work with the device in Flight Mode. If I turn the phone and data on, get a GPS lock and then turn it off, after a couple minutes, the GPS loses all satelites.

I was under the impression that the bonus of using Garmin or TOMTOM was that since the maps were stored locally, you can use the gps without a data/phone connection. Am I completely wrong?

I have tried this with the newest OEM Sprint ROM and OMJ's "bare bones" ROM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

BlkCat is just getting started
Re: GPS in Flight mode???

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
Guys, I am currently running the newest Sprint ROM. Everything is working great for the most part. I usually use Garmin XT with great success with all of the Kitchen's (I love OMJ's stuff) and now the newest OEM SPRINT ROM.

I'm away on Business in Canada at the moment and I wanted to use the GPS function but not the data or phone service due to the high price of international roaming. Well, the Garmin GPS will not work with the device in Flight Mode. If I turn the phone and data on, get a GPS lock and then turn it off, after a couple minutes, the GPS loses all satelites.

I was under the impression that the bonus of using Garmin or TOMTOM was that since the maps were stored locally, you can use the gps without a data/phone connection. Am I completely wrong?

I have tried this with the newest OEM Sprint ROM and OMJ's "bare bones" ROM.

Flight mode disables the phone's radio completely, which includes the GPS function. It's my understanding that GPS uses the data service to make the connection. Not sure if theres anyway around that.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: VX6900 (Touch)
Carrier: Verizon

Magicality is becoming a great contributor

With a registry editor, change the following settings & soft reset.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS

EnableAGPS = 0
EnableGPSSmartMode = 0
GPSMode = 1

Note that this will disable all aGPS functions, and as such GPS will take a bit longer to get a fix.

Last edited by Magicality; 07-10-2008 at 12:08 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCat View Post
Flight mode disables the phone's radio completely, which includes the GPS function. It's my understanding that GPS uses the data service to make the connection. Not sure if theres anyway around that.
BlkCat, Actually i'm fairly positive it's the bluetooth stacks that turn off, not the gps (this can be seen by gps viewer still getting locks.. but since the gps software is preconfigured to use the BT stacks, it doesn't bother even trying to search for our internal gps...

Solution: turn your phone off. but then go back to the comm manager and turn on the bluetooth. then start up your gps software.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D

Last edited by No1ustad; 07-10-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCat View Post

No.....GPS doesn't need data........GPS uses satellites to pinpoint your location...just like GPS Units do..it doesn't need data for that. And I've used GPS is airplane mode before..not on the new rom though....
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc vogue

xteoos is a n00b

I am using new sprint rom with gps working in flight mode on using Igo 8.
Try tomtom but flight mode must be off.
So the gps signal always there no matter FM on or off.
Registry tweaking don't do anything different I play around with it for more than a week.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

lets not get into another debate if gps needs data or not....
Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

i'm not sure why every1's continuing. my method solves the issue w/o and regedits or anything else.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Threadstarter

johnnymac is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
i'm not sure why every1's continuing. my method solves the issue w/o and regedits or anything else.
I've tried your method on the new OEM Sprint ROM and enableing BT doesn't work on my device to get satelites. I'm going to try the reg edit that was posted above.

Nope, the regedit did nothing for me on Garmin XT. I do think that the radio needs to be on in order for it to work.

Last edited by johnnymac; 07-10-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch (6900)

dukenightvision is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
I've tried your method on the new OEM Sprint ROM and enableing BT doesn't work on my device to get satelites. I'm going to try the reg edit that was posted above.

Nope, the regedit did nothing for me on Garmin XT. I do think that the radio needs to be on in order for it to work.
I'm in the same boat. Enabling BT doesn't work. Neither does the reg edit
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue