PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Re: htc touch gps

how is it helpful if you have this revolutionary thought of how it uses a data plan. why not share and help us all out.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Ok if u insist. I want more people to read it though well anyways here's just a simple explanation why. Most of the phones that have GPS chip in it uses A-GPS technology. I know your familiar with that already. A-GPS has 4 types including the standalone. Standalone does not need a data plan. If u don't have AT&T tilt, moto Q9c and blackberry device, U don't have a standalone chip on ur phone. So for the rest of us, we will pay for data. U ask why do we need data? Well this is how it works. The GPS satellite will locate ur position. The satellite then communicate with cell towers about ur whereabout. Then the info will be processed at a nearby A-GPS servers. The A-GPS servers will then transfer the computed data to ur phone. Now you ask, Why does the A-GPS server do the computations? Because they have a significantly more powerful processors than ur phone.It's faster when they do the computations. And most importantly, To save your batery. It will drain your batery doing this calculations. Now U ask, So where the data plan comes in place. Here's your answer. How will the A-GPS servers transfer the DATA to ur phone? here are your options, Voice plan? text messaging plan? Or DATA plan? Now you tell me how to transfer Data to your phone if the answer is not in the 3 options? yah digg? if U do. Hit that T.

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 09:52 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch WM 6.1 REV A & GPS Mustan Clean Rom
Carrier: sprint

BANGER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Ok if u insist. I want more people to read it though well anyways here's just a simple explanation why. Most of the phones that have GPS chip in it uses A-GPS technology. I know your familiar with that already. A-GPS has 4 types including the standalone. Standalone does not need a data plan. If u don't have AT&T tilt, moto Q9c and blackberry device, U don't have a standalone chip on ur phone. So for the rest of us, we will pay for data. U ask why do we need data? Well this is how it works. The GPS satellite will locate ur position. The satellite then communicate with cell towers about ur whereabout. Then the info will be processed at a nearby A-GPS servers. The A-GPS servers will then transfer the computed data to ur phone. Now you ask, Why does the A-GPS server do the computations? Because they have a significantly more powerful processors than ur phone.It's faster when they do the computations. And most importantly, To save your batery. It will drain your batery doing this calculations. Now U ask, So where the data plan comes in place. Here's your answer. How will the A-GPS servers transfer the DATA to ur phone? here are your options, Voice plan? test messaging plan? Or DATA plan? Now you tell me how to transfer Data to your phone if the answer is not in the 3 options? yah digg? if U do. Hit that T.
From my experience, some GPS proggies get a fix without data via the network. The chipset is detecting the radio signals from the satellites, and with 4 or more, you get a great triangulation from that alone. You then need the maps relative to that spot. If I have maps on my stoage card, (Garmin, IGO, TOMTOM) I can still navigate. For some unexplained reason last night, I couldn't get on the internet on my phone, but I was able to use tomtom. I know for a fact I was disconnected from any data that I get from my data plan.

EDIT: Oh yeah, these programs warn you when they want to connect to the internet for traffic updates or extras. They want to make sure you're ok with using your data plan or they say they say you can't use these features without a data plan. I think you may be right about AGPS, but it doesn't use your data plan, it uses the 3.37 (or other) radio's frequency and doesn't require DATA. it just has to read a frequency that is in the air. I can look at deatailed satellite info in IGO and its not telling me where the satellites are relative to the cell tower relative to me. Its not triangulating off of the cell towers. If it was, I'd never have a problem getting a GPS fix because I'm indoors. I'd have problems because I can't read 3-4 cell towers.

I'm new here, but not totally noob.

Last edited by BANGER; 06-18-2008 at 09:52 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
From my experience, some GPS proggies get a fix without data via the network. The chipset is detecting the radio signals from the satellites, and with 4 or more, you get a great triangulation from that alone. You then need the maps relative to that spot. If I have maps on my stoage card, (Garmin, IGO, TOMTOM) I can still navigate. For some unexplained reason last night, I couldn't get on the internet on my phone, but I was able to use tomtom. I know for a fact I was disconnected from any data that I get from my data plan.

I'm new here, but not totally noob.
I forgot to mention, If your phone is navigating, U do not have access to the internet.it is being used by the GPS. That it the 3rd type of A-GPS which most of our phones have,Ur phone does not do any calculations at all. Phone GPS's are made that way. Carrier programmed it that way to nickel and dime as. I have a very strong proof about my explanation.

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch WM 6.1 REV A & GPS Mustan Clean Rom
Carrier: sprint

BANGER is a n00b

Quote:
I forgot to mention, If your phone is navigating, U do not have access to the internet.it is being used by the GPS. That it the 3rd type of A-GPS which most of our phones have,Ur phone does not do any calculations at all. Phone GPS's are made that way. Carrier programmed it that way to nickel and dime as. I have a very strong proof about my explanation.
That's Bu&^%$#t. TomTom, and Garmin both connect to the internet while navigating for a lot of extras. While Navigating.. Also, see my edits in the above post. Hve you tried either? Tomtom would be the most concretre example, but Garmin too... google maps NEEDS the internet to get its map info I believe......,my not being able to connect had nothing to do with that. it was an odd anomoly.

Last edited by BANGER; 06-18-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
╚════════════════╝

third type of A-GPS
MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..
Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
That's Bu&^%$#t. TomTom, and Garmin both connect to the internet while navigating for a lot of extras. While Navigating.. Also, see my edits in the above post. Hve you tried either? Tomtom would be the most concretre example, but Garmin too... google maps NEEDS the internet to get its map info I believe......,my not being able to connect had nothing to do with that. it was an odd anomoly.
Ur garmin and tomtom software is utilizing the use of GPS chip that is why u can download stuffs that u need. Outside the GPS software u r using is not accessible
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
╚════════════════╝

As for all u that don't know. The GPS chip on your phone was not made for navigation purposes. It is a requirement from e911. Cellphones has GPS chips in it eversince 2002. e911 requires that. But ur carrier locked it because it's not for u to use. It's for 911 to locate the distress call and relay it to the dispatcheer. When people found out about a GPS chip on the phone, They wanna use it as navigation tool coz it cool. GPS on my phone. Well tell you what. Who's gonna pay for the maintenance of the A-GPS servers that give u info if U use it for free? If U want a real GPS that does not need data plan, Buy garmin, tomtom magellan etc.

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
As for all u that don't know. The GPS chip on your phone was not made for navigation purposes. It is a requirement from e911. Cellphones has GPS chips in it eversince 2002. e911 requires that. But ur carrier locked it because it's not for u to use. It's for 911 to locate the distress call and relay it to the dispatcheer. When people found out about a GPS chip on the phone, They wanna use it as navigation tool coz it cool. GPS on my phone. Well tell you what. Who's gonna pay for the maintenance of the A-GPS servers that give u info if U use it for free? If U want a real GPS that does not need data plan, Buy garmin, tomtom magellan etc.
I'm pretty skeptical. Do you have anything to support your statements?

-GT
Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
I'm pretty skeptical. Do you have anything to support your statements?

-GT
yes I do. But the thing is, This is not the right thread to post it though. I've researched this because people here are telling people the wrong infos. I will give one though.
http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gp...vigation.shtml
here is a link on sprint navigation software. You will see there what U need. data shared plan. I know ur next question. That is sprint software! I use tomtom garmin etc. software. Well, what method does ur tomtom garmin software does that is different with sprint software, That does not require U a data plan? This application is for GPS enabled phones including ur moguls.

GPS chipset required in device. (All Sprint phones sold since Jan 2002 have the GPS chipset. Contact your Sprint account representative for additional information.)
taken from:
https://sfl.sprintpcs.com/finder-spr...tm?question=34

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue