PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Beta Test Discussion

This thread is those who were invited to the test a beta of a 5 program platform I'll be using on newer ROMs in the future to discuss it in full detail.

-Note: No native registry edits were included in this beta, just the ones from the kitchen.

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-30-2008 at 12:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Re: Beta Test Discussion

Neat! You named the rom file VOGUIMG.NBH. This will undoubtedly facilitate easier flashing, as you can downloading the archive and unpack it directly to the sd card with no user intervention necessary to rename in order to flash from sd. Nice touch.

Before I flashed the ROM, I did use PagePoolChanger to identify the default page pool is set to 12mb, which I did not change.

Bork! Bork! Bork! – I was greeted by the Sweedish Chef! An obvious homage and credit to the PPCKitchen. Nice touch, which is fitting and I am sure is appreciated by the PPCKitchen team.

Date and time setting runs, which you might consider bypassing this. This rom is probably going to cater to more advanced users who will probably have a registry cab setup to configure this automatically. Of course, don’t take my word on this – others, please chime in.

After I set date and time, the autorun stuff started to fire up … When I first flashed the ROM, I had ejected my SD card, so that I might be able to observe the behavior without the (potential) added complication of going through the scan and install process.

Interestingly enough, TierAutoinstall ran, could not find any cabs (SD card not present) and it ran and eventually I received an error message:

Quote:
The file ‘AutoRun’ cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certification or one of it’s components canoe be found.

I did a soft-reset to get into the rom.

Feedback on The ROM: In all honesty and I can’t help but sound unappreciative, but this *.RUU file is about 10mb larger than I would have expected. (edit: However, I DO APPRECIATE the effort ... this is a neat project and I am happy to be associated)

Things that you may want to think about removing from the rom:
dotFred Regeditor
dotFred Task Manager
FunContact
ICS Control
Oxios Hibernate
Core Player
WM5orage
Quick Menu
SmartsKey
Scroll bar 9pt width
Soft Keys
NewMenu for WM5
Pocket RAR

context for my comments

I like the goals of these types of projects, because I like an absolutely bare-boned clean rom as a baseline that I can install the applications and tweaks that I desire.

I should probably invest time in learning how to use the various tools to port the XIP, SYS, so that I could build the exact rom that I like, but that is a level of detail that I prefer to leave to others. Similar to my car, I like to add custom (but tasteful) wheels, stereo components, etc. – but I don’t feel that I have to be able to personally modify the crankshaft, camshaft or differential gears in order to be satisfied. If those items need to be worked on, I’ll find somebody to help me out.

When I use PPCKitchen, I have gone back and forth on how to use the features to support my goal. After going back and forth (many times) I have recently decided to use PPCKitchen to install as little as possible and then to add all of my supplementary applications as a post-flash effort.

I’ve also been an outspoken advocate of both User Customization and Tier Autoinstall. However, as I settled on a bare-boned rom, I also had to settle on User Customization, as Tier Autoinstall doesn’t handle installations that require user-interaction, the way that User Customization can.

I use User Customization and my SDConfig.TXT (attached) is setup to install around 30 cab files. Once I complete my personal cab to install all of my registry edits and mail settings, these items will also be added to the U.C. package.

Thank you again for allowing me to participate.

Best regards,
-boggsie

Last edited by boggsie; 05-30-2008 at 03:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
Re: Beta Test Discussion

Hey Soul_est

Thanks for the invite for the beta! But currently I'm dabbling with ROMs w/o GPS (0.40) so I'm not gonna be able to try this ROM out for a bit, although I will be watchin this thread to provide some feedback if I can. Looks like you already got a pretty informative post by boggsie to keep ya a lil busy!

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue