PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

sanderz6900 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon XV6900 woes...and questions

So I just got the Verizon XV6900. I've been reading through these forums, and I am so confused. I have so many questions.

1. Isn't the 6900 Rev. A compatible already? My radio is 1.60.30.

2. What is the benefit of WM 6.1? Do I still get TouchFLO? Does HTC ever offer upgrades/updates or new versions of the TouchFLO interface?

3. Is it worth it to upgrade using, say OMJ's rom for example? Is there an easy Verizon version/guide to follow?

4. How do you flash a rom? Does that change the current setup I have?

5. If all I want to do is make my 6900 GPS compatible, so I don't have to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver, can I "flash" a rom that doesn't change anything else?

6. Won't Verizon release roms/upgrades like for 6.1 and Rev. A?

7. Does anyone else with a 6900 help me out by giving me suggestions and advice and problems that you ran into that I can avoid, etc etc?

8. What is the best guide to follow to do all this?

Thanks for anyone who helps me out!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

sputnikkk is just getting started
Re: Verizon XV6900 woes...and questions

Hey man ...

Im new too and have a 6900 verizon style. [since last friday] Wish I had known sprint had the bomb internet access speeds - and now that they just created all you can eat everything for one fee - seems like the carrier to be with. Im stuck with Verizon for 2 yrs now.

On the gps issues - most of the posts Im reading indicate that even with the new rom and the ulgraded "radio" - people still need their Blue Tooth GPS devices like Tom Tom etc ... [not sure why] - Im just getting more familiar with Live Search - seems pretty damn good.

Not sure why the other combo's are better???

Using air minutes with Live Search?

Seems like flashing a rom changes ... everything then you start loading apps fresh - all over again.

There's tons of how to guides at the top of this forum as sticky's ... Im still reading - Im not ready to put on the chef's hat just yet

Imma be watchin this thread for more informed users answers ....
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: VZW

TwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1 - The phone is Rev A compatible....but the current Verizon radio does not have Rev A activated.

2 - WM 6.1 is only a slight upgrade. Biggest thing I noticed was the Threaded SMS. Everything else is the same. I still have TouchFLO on mine. I used PPCKitchen.org to upgrade mine.

3 - I think the upgrade was worth it. You may not think so. Currently it has been hit and miss to go back to the original VZW ROM, so if you can't get it back you pretty much void your warranty. There is a guide that is Stickied on the Vogue Upgrade. It works for Verizon

4 - Your current setup will be overwritten. Everything will be set back to defaults. For instructions on how to Flash a ROM check the Stickied area.

5 - In order to use the GPS in your device you must flash the newer ROM and Radio.

6 - It is highly unlikely that Verizon will release a Rev A/GPS upgrade for the 6900 in the near future. They have gone out of their way to lock down the GPS in our devices in the past and will probably continue to do so. If they don't, what is our incentive to use VZNavigator when it is released?

7 - If you read the instructions in the Sticky area you will be fine. Just remember to READ, READ, READ. When you think you have it down and are ready to try it....READ IT AGAIN! And if you do run into a problem READ all the Stickies before you post your problem. Chances are someone else has already had the same issue and the answer is already posted!

8 - Read the Stickies!

Good luck!

Jim
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

jim gave excellent advise and pretty much took the words out of my mouth... read all the directions before running it.. just to make sure u know what u will be doing. and i have found it to be pretty easy if u just follow the instructions... topics at the top of the forums are "stickies" and will guide u the best. read through them and use them to upgrade.

my gps locks and works perfect in less then a minute without any dumb blue tooth device.. which i think is worth upgrading in itself... if verizon gives us a update within a year.. i'll be surprised..
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900
Threadstarter

sanderz6900 is a n00b

Thanks for all the quick replies!

What custom roms do you suggest or have had success with?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

personally i have used a bunch of them, but recently i prefer the crisp clean roms from jd.. quite simple.. stripped and fast. you add what u want, which can take a little more effort but i prefer that over having a bunch of programs taking up memory that i don't use. its all a matter of preference mostly.. i have flashed probably around 20 roms now and like a lot from each one.. it's interesting to see what people use program wise
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff

build with the kitchen. If you aren't inclined to cook your own rom (the kitchen makes it a piece of cake), I've found OMJ's to be very stable and reliable. As for gps - contrary to post #2's statement that "even with the new rom and the ulgraded 'radio' - people still need their Blue Tooth GPS devices like Tom Tom etc," the internal gps, upgraded to a 3.3+ radio, works. And I think Tom Tom is a program, rather than an actual external gps device. Now folks do use Tom Tom, Garmin, etc. software with the internal gps, as well as Live Search and Google Maps, depending upon whether you want the voice turn by turn directions or not. Whatever you decide to use, have fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
As for gps - contrary to post #2's statement that "even with the new rom and the ulgraded 'radio' - people still need their Blue Tooth GPS devices like Tom Tom etc," the internal gps, upgraded to a 3.3+ radio, works. And I think Tom Tom is a program, rather than an actual external gps device. Now folks do use Tom Tom, Garmin, etc. software with the internal gps, as well as Live Search and Google Maps, depending upon whether you want the voice turn by turn directions or not. Whatever you decide to use, have fun!
I stand corrected ... apologies.

I did try to suggest that it "seemed" as if thats what folks were doing. The rom flashing is now getting much more interesting
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM
mhrc4

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

and just a heads up to the OP, the 6900 out of the box is EVDO-A capable, Verizon just has not activated their network yet. Give it 2-3 months and Rev-A should be up online.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Rev-A should be up online.
Newb Alert ...

Do I understand this to mean my internet speeds will be much faster than they are currently - with no mod to rev a needed?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue