PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Lurker

jdaivpmed is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stuck in an endless reset loop... Help Please

I've searched, but it would seem that I'm the only one with this problem...

My touch seems to have developed some serious issues. This isn't my regular phone, but rather one I picked up on craigslist just to play around with in my spare time (it was a good deal).

Anyway, I had been messing around with the Android package from over at the xda site (very very neat piece of software by the way, can't wait till it's actually functional), but hadn't done any real hacking or programing on it, just loaded up the package and explored the Android system. Then my friend's phone died so I offered him this touch to use while his was being replaced. In an effort to be nice I flashed the phone to WM6.1 (don't remember who's ROM I used at this point).

The flashing went fine, everything worked as usual, and my friend activated the phone on his account. Then after two or three days he said it had locked up on him and required a hard reset to get it going again. After that it started locking up a couple times a day so we decided that maybe there was a bug in the 6.1 ROM.

I reflashed the phone back to WM 6.0 using the official Sprint package found on this site (not the dump) and the phone again seemed to work fine.

Then after about 24 hours the phone locked up and required another hard reset. It continued to do this for about a week... once a day, locked up, hard reset and good for another day.

My friend was bringing the phone back to me to fiddle with it some more and it locked up on him again, he hard reset and now it's stuck in some kind of endless reset loop.

The phone will power up and vibrate, then the HTC logo comes up and then the phone resets and the process starts all over. It will continue to do that until you either pull out the battery or the battery goes dead.

You can interrupt the reset loop by hitting the soft reset button which <surprise> makes the phone reset (just a little bit sooner) as soon as it comes back up it goes back into the loop.

You can also do a hard reset during the loop. The hard reset runs to completion (or completed if you speak HTC) and then prompts for the send key to be pressed. Upon pressing the send key the phone resets and the loop starts over.

Boot loader is also accessible and I have tried unlocking and reflashing via the SD card. This seems to work (everything goes as expected) but once it's finished the phone goes right back into the loop.

The one advantage to the loop is that you don't have to use the soft reset key to get into boot loader or do a hard reset. Just hold the respective buttons and wait for it to reset itself and you're in.

I have had no luck getting the phone to connect to a computer via USB, either in boot loader or during the loop (the loop doesn't really last long enough for a connection to be established so this is no surprise).

So.... I think that's about it.

Anybody run into this before or have any suggestions for trying to fix it?

Thanks,

John
Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Stuck in an endless reset loop... Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
This isn't my regular phone, but rather one I picked up on craigslist just to play around with in my spare time (it was a good deal).
I wonder what made it end up on the list as such a good deal? Sounds almost like the phone is possessed by one of them "evil water-damaged spirits".

Old 05-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdaivpmed is a n00b

I kind of thought about that, so I took the phone apart (actually did this just after posting this thread) and there are no signs of any sort of water damage inside the unit. I really opened it up thinking that maybe it had been dropped or my friend was a little over zealous pushing the soft reset button, but there is nothing inside that would indicate any sort of physical damage and the soft reset switch rings out fine on the meter.

I hit everything pretty good with contact cleaner and reassembled the unit but it's still stuck in the loop.

The positive side is that I discovered how easily the case comes off the touch and am now contemplating switching to a colored case (am I really that bored?).

Anyway, I don't think physical damage is the issue here. I also think that it's very odd that the unit worked fine for the last couple of months while I've been playing with it and then it suddenly developed these issues after being activated on Sprint.

It could very well be that there was some sort of problem with the unit when I bought it, but I would have expected to run into the issue while I had it, and not have it only appear after having been placed back in service.

Thanks.

John
Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

walla is keeping up the good workwalla is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I kind of thought about that, so I took the phone apart (actually did this just after posting this thread) and there are no signs of any sort of water damage inside the unit. I really opened it up thinking that maybe it had been dropped or my friend was a little over zealous pushing the soft reset button, but there is nothing inside that would indicate any sort of physical damage and the soft reset switch rings out fine on the meter.

I hit everything pretty good with contact cleaner and reassembled the unit but it's still stuck in the loop.

The positive side is that I discovered how easily the case comes off the touch and am now contemplating switching to a colored case (am I really that bored?).

Anyway, I don't think physical damage is the issue here. I also think that it's very odd that the unit worked fine for the last couple of months while I've been playing with it and then it suddenly developed these issues after being activated on Sprint.

It could very well be that there was some sort of problem with the unit when I bought it, but I would have expected to run into the issue while I had it, and not have it only appear after having been placed back in service.

Thanks.

John

Remove your SD card from the phone, then reboot the phone.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdaivpmed is a n00b

I don't have an SD card in the phone. In fact the only time there was an SD card in the phone was when I used it to unlock and reflash the phone from the bootloader screen a couple of times in an attempt to fix this reset loop issue.

Thanks.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdaivpmed is a n00b

Am I really the first one here to have this issue? I would have thought that with all of the hacking being done to the Touch these days that surely someone else would have run into this before. Does anyone even have a guess on what we're looking at with this thing?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by jdaivpmed; 05-24-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdaivpmed is a n00b

Anything?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Anything?
man did you try to upgrade the radio or flash a rom because the only way someone can help you is by telling what you did before it started acting crazy
Old 05-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND (cdma)
Carrier: Telus Canada

coolcmar is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to coolcmar

i do have the same prob just like you ... my phone is in a reset loop mode ... i have never p***** the htc screen since i have upgraded from wm5
Old 05-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

have you tried just flashing back to the stock rom via sd? that might be enough to restore/whipe out and cleanly fix everything...?

and i guess if its not working..just try flashing the 2.31 coke unlocker, and flashing a completely new rom to see what happens.

also try the sprint leaked one.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue