PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unusually high battery drain+ leaked ROM

has anyone else with the leaked ROM noticed an unusually high drain on the battery? Im down to 46% in only 8 hours off the charger with only a 30 second voicemail check. Same exact spot i always sit so theres no varioations from the other ROM in times or location.
Usually i can get off work 3 hours from now and still have 70% on the gps "compiled" ROMs (using JK's gpstest 2.1) out of the Alltel base. 30% drop in battery performance is huge. The phones usuless dying more than 50% on 6 hours standby with only psuh email running as ive always had. GPS is definitely off, no programs running

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 05-15-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung for the "Moment"
Carrier: Sprint

pg2k3 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Unusually high battery drain+ leaked ROM

Some here have reason to believe that the Vogue's still maturing gps drivers are to blame. Try changing your GPS setting to E911 only to see if that helps. This can be done by going to Start--> Settings --> Personal --> Phone --> Services --> Location Setting --> Select Off. Hope that helps
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ret2961 is becoming a great contributor

From a post of mine on 5/13:

Sprint - GPS/IGuidiance/Astro GPS/Confused
Okay, please don't flame, I tried searching and came up empty after about 6,000 pages of reading...

I am using the leaked Sprint ROM with IGuidiance, GPSGate and the Astro GPS hack.

Astro launches with Iguide, and I see GPS Gate fire right up. Quick locks, works great...

I have two questions...I was using GPS Viewer, which I used to manually shut down the GPS when I was done...It does not look to me like the GPS is shutting down after I close Iguide (I thought it was supposed to).

Also, tonight I used the GPS for a long trip (45+ minutes). Even though the phone was plugged in to the car charger, the battery was at 10%! Is the GPS draw that significant so as to negate the car charger??

Sorry for the questions and thanks for the help!!

<<<>>>

I was using an after market battery and thought that was the problem...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

CMeys is keeping up the good workCMeys is keeping up the good work

I used the GPS today for 1½ hours on a car charger and the car charger got it and kept it fully charged (using SEIDIO 1500 mAh battery).
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg2k3 View Post
Some here have reason to believe that the Vogue's still maturing gps drivers are to blame. Try changing your GPS setting to E911 only to see if that helps. This can be done by going to Start--> Settings --> Personal --> Phone --> Services --> Location Setting --> Select Off. Hope that helps
the main problem with that theory ive seen mentioned too is that e911 is only the a-gps portion, not the satellites and gps drivers. e911 location would function with or without the gps update, so turning it off shouldnt have any effect on the actual gps portion of the chipset

i hope the official ROM doesnt come out soon if this is any indication of how it is with a 4/23 build date which is only 2 weeks ago. theres clearly battery issues- i just got home and normally ill have 60-70 percent and i was at 20%, 9 hours off the charger and in standby with no use the whole time (ok checked VM for 30 secs), nothing running at all.

i agree with Ret's observation that the battery draw seems like gps isnt ever shutting down fully when you close out the gps programs using it causing it to always be active...

im just now wondering how far i need to change stuff. if its the ROM, PRI, or radio. i was running gpstest 2.1 with 3.35 titan and the older 1.x PRI and got my usual battery life and decent gps results.

anyone else seein battery drain? Could be the new radio is touchy between EVDO and 1x and flopping back and forth is killing the battery more than the older non-test radios

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 05-15-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket!!
Carrier: AT&T

hotbyz168 is becoming a great contributor

Hmmm... I took my phone off the charger tuesday morning at around 10AM and I was actually pretty surprised when I didnt have to charge it until wednesday night. Right now i took my phone off the charger at around 8AM and at 1045PM I'm at 44% with pushmail going and a 170 mile drive that went through a few poor coverage areas. I really cant complain.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

-------------------------------Off topic-------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2961 View Post
From a post of mine on 5/13:

Sprint - GPS/IGuidiance/Astro GPS/Confused
Okay, please don't flame, I tried searching and came up empty after about 6,000 pages of reading...

etc etc etc
You're GOing to either get flamed or ignored like that man. Make a new thread if searches don't work out, it's better than hijacking....

------------------------------On Topic-----------------------------

On 6.1 I've also noticed a decrease and don't know what's to blame. been trying to figure it out. i've got an extended battery from seidio and i still only get thru a day (12 hrs)

as always, i'll suggest checking your beams, and doing the performance hacks.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

ret2961 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
-------------------------------Off topic-------------------------

You're GOing to either get flamed or ignored like that man. Make a new thread if searches don't work out, it's better than hijacking....

------------------------------On Topic-----------------------------

On 6.1 I've also noticed a decrease and don't know what's to blame. been trying to figure it out. i've got an extended battery from seidio and i still only get thru a day (12 hrs)

as always, i'll suggest checking your beams, and doing the performance hacks.
sorry there player, but I was highlighting the relevant section of my other post that related to the OPs comments. sorry if you didn't get it, but I have always appreciated the help I get here and tried to follow the "rules" about searching and not wasting people's time.

thus, the explanation in advance about why I was asking. I didn't hijack anything.

sorry for the confusion, but after some of the other interesting conversations I felt compelled to explain my position.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

I am having VERY SIGNIFICANT battery drain, and I believe it's related to a combination of things... all radio stuff.

1) I find that with the new radios, 3.37.10 and now 3.37.15, that the phone tends to "linger" in 1X mode, instead of jumping right back onto EV-DO. Plus, when I'm stuck in a 1X area with no EV-DO signal, the battery can be dead in less than an hour. Sometimes I have to reset the phone for it to pull up the EV-DO signal I KNOW is there... sometimes if I'm driving around, I get a new tower, and it goes back to EV-DO.

2) Bluetooth seems to be using 10x the power as before... My battery life is cut by almost 75% when I leave it on, and discoverable now.

3) GPS. Yesterday, I was at a car dealership, helping my friend look for a new car. I was bored at one moment in the office, so I turned on GPS. I never got a lock, so I turned it off. I was at 90% battery. About 30 minutes later, my phone gave me the low battery sound. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was hot as hell. It was showing very critical battery level. I tried to send a text to my GF, but the phone turned off before I got a chance. Would not turn back on, at all. So in 30 minutes, I went from 90% to 0%... amazing. Also, I happened to have BT off at the time, since I was away from my hands-free in my car, and I am aware of the drain.

When I got in my car, the car-charger (iGo from RadioShack,) would not charge the phone. No light came on, nor would the phone activate. Only once I got home, and plugged it in my wall socket, did a charging light come on. Then I was able to turn it on, and send a text. I still couldn't make a phone call, because the phone portion kept turning itself off. (I guess these phones don't ACTUALLY run off the charger when you plug them in, but rather, run off the battery, that's being charged---poor design, I think.)

Then, with BT ON, and no attempt made to use GPS, my battery charged from 0%, to 90% in about 45 minutes, and by 1 hour, 30 minutes, I had a full battery. I was pretty impressed.

I think GPS uses so much power, at least when it encounters a problem... perhaps a stuck loop in a driver---that it ALMOST negates the charger. Some days, my phone takes 4-5 hours to charge... Others, like last night, only take 1-2 hours....

One other note.. 9 times out of 10, when I pull my phone out of my pocket, it's warm. This only started once I put on the 3.37.10 radio, and continued with the 3.37.15 radio. When I turn the phone on, it's not doing anything. I'm in EV-DO, and many times, I have not even tried to use GPS... strange to me.

Last edited by ScrapMaker; 05-16-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: sprint

xoom is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I am having VERY SIGNIFICANT battery drain, and I believe it's related to a combination of things... all radio stuff.

3) GPS. Yesterday, I was at a car dealership, helping my friend look for a new car. I was bored at one moment in the office, so I turned on GPS. I never got a lock, so I turned it off. I was at 90% battery. About 30 minutes later, my phone gave me the low battery sound. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was hot as hell. It was showing very critical battery level. I tried to send a text to my GF, but the phone turned off before I got a chance. Would not turn back on, at all. So in 30 minutes, I went from 90% to 0%... amazing. Also, I happened to have BT off at the time, since I was away from my hands-free in my car, and I am aware of the drain.

I am experiencing the same issue.
OS 5.2.1629 (Build 19202.1.0.0)

No clue how to fix it or what is really going on, that's what this forum is for,
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue