PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Aides/Reg Hacks/Utilities/"Fast Fixers"

OK, so I have been reading a lot on the gps capabilities of the vogue, and have seen a lot of things out there like the virser gps dll, reg-hacks, gps kick-start, quick-gps, mmeto, and different gps drivers that can all supposedly change the speed at which the gps can get a lock. on a thread over at xda tabout the quickgps one, they were able to get fixes/locks after only about 20-40 seconds! thats the kind of thing we all need...

there is definitely an awful lot of stuff about it, and i have grown pretty confused i must say. i have a sprint vogue and would REALLY like faster connection times.

if there is ANYONE who has some consolidated facts and real numbers/evidence about what (combination) works best, i would greatly apprecaite it, as im sure would many many others.

even though you may have the urge, plz do not post here for at least 1-2 days if you do not have some good evidence/clear consice instructions on how to improve gps signal quality.

thanks a lot guys!,
Jim.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: GPS Aides/Reg Hacks/Utilities/"Fast Fixers"

The truth is that everything is beta/test right now for the Vogue. Until the official ROM for the Sprint Touch is released, GPS will be flaky. Some people have it working better than others, but I don't think anyone has it working flawlessly and quickly.

Once I get a lock it works great in my testing. I've been able to get a lock on every ROM I've used (currently using the latest Sprint leaked ROM).

EDIT: The Mogul experienced the same type of flakiness with the beta/cooked ROMs until the official ROM came out.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: axim, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

j10376 is becoming a great contributor

mindfrost82 did you just install the sprint leaked with no mod to get the gps working. I also used the titan test when it was released gps was flacky but it worked. I cannot get gps to lock on sats on the touch I see the sats but no lock using gpsviewer I am using kitchen 302 right now but installed leaked rom first. Also what I am seeing is gps keeps resetting in gps viewer find example finds 6 sats then resets.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Retired Staff

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by j10376 View Post
mindfrost82 did you just install the sprint leaked with no mod to get the gps working. I also used the titan test when it was released gps was flacky but it worked. I cannot get gps to lock on sats on the touch I see the sats but no lock using gpsviewer I am using kitchen 302 right now but installed leaked rom first. Also what I am seeing is gps keeps resetting in gps viewer find example finds 6 sats then resets.
I'm running the sprint leaked ROM, not the kitchen. I did copy the DLL from the first post into the /Windows directory (although some people are saying its working for them without that).
Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Maybe I'm the only one, but I had the same problems with the released Mogul rom as with the Touch. In fact, I did a little experiment over the weekend. Powered on both phones side by side (mogul with the released rom, and touch with the leaked rom), and ran TomTom. The gps had not been run on either for 24hrs prior, and they took about the same amount of time to get a lock (about 2 minutes), and showed the same number of satellites after the same amount of time.

And the Touch with the leaked rom did not need anything special to enable GPS.

There's only one thing I found that helps speed up getting an initial fix/lock: warm over cold! And the way to do that, is with an app like GPSToday. I now fire up the gps when I get up in the morning. Let it sit until it gets a lock. Then let GPSToday run with auto updates, and never have to deal with a cold boot...

Last edited by dew.man; 05-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
Maybe I'm the only one, but I had the same problems with the released Mogul rom as with the Touch. In fact, I did a little experiment over the weekend. Powered on both phones side by side (mogul with the released rom, and touch with the leaked rom), and ran TomTom. The gps had not been run on either for 24hrs prior, and they took about the same amount of time to get a lock (about 2 minutes), and showed the same number of satellites after the same amount of time.

And the Touch with the leaked rom did not need anything special to enable GPS.

There's only one thing I found that helps speed up getting an initial fix/lock: warm over cold! And the way to do that, is with an app like GPSToday. I now fire up the gps when I get up in the morning. Let it sit until it gets a lock. Then let GPSToday run with auto updates, and never have to deal with a cold boot...
I tried GPSToday, and I like the app, I just wish it didn't take up as much space on the today screen.

Maybe I'll try it without the virser DLL. I didn't think it would work since it showed GPS Device as Unloaded in dotFred's Task Manager until after I copied that file.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue