PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Sulten is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting HTC TOUCH Test

Link: Info hxxp://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/HTC-Touch-Cell-Phone-Review/Battery-Life.htm

Call Time (3.82)
To test how long the HTC Touch lasts on a call we made a phone call to the phone using Skype and piped an audio book over the connection to simulate conversation. We then timed how long the phone lasted before the battery ran out. The HTC Touch lasted 3 hours and 11 minutes in our call time test. This is somewhat surprising, since the Touch has a decent-sized 1100 mAh battery. This may be impacted by the fact that Sprint uses a 3G network, however, which tends to be more battery-intensive than older 2G networks. Whatever the reason, you can clearly see below that the Touch didn't do very well in this test. We expect an average phone to last between four and five hours, and some last significantly longer.

Cell PhoneTalk TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 3 hours 11 mins 3.82
Helio Ocean 4 hours 7 mins 4.94
BlackBerry Curve 8320 7 hours 24 mins 8.88
HTC Mogul 5 hours 30 mins 6.60
Palm Centro 4 hours 8 mins 4.96
Apple iPhone 7 hours 4 mins 8.48

Music Playback (3.42)
To see how long the HTC Touch lasted while playing back music we set the phone to play a looped album at maximum volume using the loud speaker. We left all other settings at their default and timed how long it takes for the battery to die. The HTC Touch lasted 4 hours and 45 minutes in this test. As with talk time, this isn't a very good score, and most of our comparison phones lasted at least a couple of hours longer. Once again, we're surprised the Touch's 1100 mAh battery didn't last longer, as music playback is typically much less battery-intensive than calling, but there seems to be a trend of poor battery performance here. Simply put, if you listen to music a lot you'll probably want to invest in a second battery, because the Touch won't last very long.

Cell PhoneMusic Playback TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 4 hours 45 mins 3.42
Helio Ocean 8 hours 9 mins 5.87
BlackBerry Curve 8320 12 hours 2 mins 8.66
HTC Mogul 11 hours 13 mins 8.08
Palm Centro 6 hours 47 mins 4.88
Apple iPhone 10 hours 46 mins 7.75

Web Browsing (3.94)
For our Web browsing test we pointed the Touch's browser at a page that is set to refresh automatically every 10 seconds. We then ensured the screen stays on and timed how long it lasted. The Touch was able to browse for only 3 hours and 17 minutes in our test, similar to what we saw from our call time test and completing the trio of poor battery life results. As with our call time test, we expect the Touch is hurt because it uses Sprint's 3G network, which is more battery-intensive. If you do a lot of browsing on the Touch you're going to run out of battery life quick.

Cell PhoneBrowsing TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 3 hours 17 mins 3.94
Helio Ocean 4 hours 19 mins 5.18
BlackBerry Curve 8320 9 hours 43 mins 11.66
HTC Mogul 4 hours 8 mins 5.36
Palm Centro 4 hours 22 mins 5.24
Apple iPhone 5 hours 13 mins 6.26

Last edited by Sulten; 03-12-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Interesting HTC TOUCH Test

I'm more surprised by the Mogul's results as opposed to the Touch's.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Sprint Touch

mvpilot172 is a n00b

Guess i'll be buying a spare battery, altho I have yet to run it to empty while away from a charger
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

TeeBlack is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
I have yet to run it to empty while away from a charger
i havent either
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

j37hr0 is becoming a great contributor

Yeah, miniUSB is sweet, I can charge my battery at work if I forget to plug my phone in the night before.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: "THE NOW NETWORK"

Ya Boi D is becoming a PPCGeeks regularYa Boi D is becoming a PPCGeeks regularYa Boi D is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Ya Boi D

Well, Im not sayin that the test Sulten performed was inaccurate but, Ive started a call with about 70% battery power left & easily exceeded 4hrs talk time & in my apartment I have TERRIBLE service. Playback of music, the same, about 6-8 hrs playback. I guess for different users,there will be different results (charging habits, etc.....) .

Last edited by Ya Boi D; 03-12-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm seeing different results then this. My Touch lasts *much* longer then my Mogul ever did...
-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulten View Post
Link: Info hxxp://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/HTC-Touch-Cell-Phone-Review/Battery-Life.htm

Call Time (3.82)
To test how long the HTC Touch lasts on a call we made a phone call to the phone using Skype and piped an audio book over the connection to simulate conversation. We then timed how long the phone lasted before the battery ran out. The HTC Touch lasted 3 hours and 11 minutes in our call time test. This is somewhat surprising, since the Touch has a decent-sized 1100 mAh battery. This may be impacted by the fact that Sprint uses a 3G network, however, which tends to be more battery-intensive than older 2G networks. Whatever the reason, you can clearly see below that the Touch didn't do very well in this test. We expect an average phone to last between four and five hours, and some last significantly longer.

Cell PhoneTalk TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 3 hours 11 mins 3.82
Helio Ocean 4 hours 7 mins 4.94
BlackBerry Curve 8320 7 hours 24 mins 8.88
HTC Mogul 5 hours 30 mins 6.60
Palm Centro 4 hours 8 mins 4.96
Apple iPhone 7 hours 4 mins 8.48

Music Playback (3.42)
To see how long the HTC Touch lasted while playing back music we set the phone to play a looped album at maximum volume using the loud speaker. We left all other settings at their default and timed how long it takes for the battery to die. The HTC Touch lasted 4 hours and 45 minutes in this test. As with talk time, this isn't a very good score, and most of our comparison phones lasted at least a couple of hours longer. Once again, we're surprised the Touch's 1100 mAh battery didn't last longer, as music playback is typically much less battery-intensive than calling, but there seems to be a trend of poor battery performance here. Simply put, if you listen to music a lot you'll probably want to invest in a second battery, because the Touch won't last very long.

Cell PhoneMusic Playback TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 4 hours 45 mins 3.42
Helio Ocean 8 hours 9 mins 5.87
BlackBerry Curve 8320 12 hours 2 mins 8.66
HTC Mogul 11 hours 13 mins 8.08
Palm Centro 6 hours 47 mins 4.88
Apple iPhone 10 hours 46 mins 7.75

Web Browsing (3.94)
For our Web browsing test we pointed the Touch's browser at a page that is set to refresh automatically every 10 seconds. We then ensured the screen stays on and timed how long it lasted. The Touch was able to browse for only 3 hours and 17 minutes in our test, similar to what we saw from our call time test and completing the trio of poor battery life results. As with our call time test, we expect the Touch is hurt because it uses Sprint's 3G network, which is more battery-intensive. If you do a lot of browsing on the Touch you're going to run out of battery life quick.

Cell PhoneBrowsing TimeScore Rating
HTC Touch 3 hours 17 mins 3.94
Helio Ocean 4 hours 19 mins 5.18
BlackBerry Curve 8320 9 hours 43 mins 11.66
HTC Mogul 4 hours 8 mins 5.36
Palm Centro 4 hours 22 mins 5.24
Apple iPhone 5 hours 13 mins 6.26
Old 03-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842

My touch lasts about as stated. Especially for the browsing section. Right at three hours. I don't talk or listen to music much so I can't really compare.

Remember to say when someone helps you out.

Open thread without searching > waste server usage > waste energy > higher gas prices
Think about the economy the next time you feel the need to open a useless thread. Think about it.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

asuman1179 is a n00b

I have had much better battery life from my Touch. I just have a feeling it depends on what is running in the background of the phone.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Apache (again)

focusedlife is a n00b

it also depends on the signal strength each phone sees at the location of the test. In the past my talk times would vary with location. Also, I go two days without charging sometimes. I was actually surprised by that.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue