PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

jiltedcitizen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rom questions and risks

I'm interested in trying some rom upgrades. But first a few questions.

1. What are the risks? Can I brick my phone?

2. Can I ever get it back to the Sprint original setup? Would I want to? Warranty issues?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

dereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to dereknjenny04
Re: Rom questions and risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiltedcitizen View Post
I'm interested in trying some rom upgrades. But first a few questions.

1. What are the risks? Can I brick my phone?

2. Can I ever get it back to the Sprint original setup? Would I want to? Warranty issues?
From what I can tell, you would have to royally screw something up to brick your phone. These devices are pretty hard to brick. I have flashed many a ROM that wouldn't get past the HTC logo, just put it into bootloader ( power+camera+soft reset) and reflash.

You can also get the the Original 1.12 ROM that will relock the bootloader. That way you could take it back to Sprint if needed for warranty work.

-Derek

like my work: donate a buck

Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

1. in this day its incredibly difficult to brick your phone. with that said though sometimes simply installing a cab file can do your phone harm or cause performance difficulties. So in reality, rom upgrades pose no greater risk than changing your todayscreen.

2. yes you can always downgrade back to original (stock) roms if need be, and you will ALWAYS - ALWAYS want to do so when taking your phone in for servicing by sprint. This will help you avoid any warranty issues.

All of this info could be found on the forums by searching for it. Please keep that in mind before creating a new thread in the future.

Good luck

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

the one thing thats always been on my mind, is not bricking the phone because like you guys say and like i say, it would take alot to really mess it up.

my worry is.. how many flashes can these phones take before the rom chip gets tired and worn resulting in perm damage??
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

not likely and besides that's what insurance and warranties are for... that would be considered normal wear and tear. (so long as you flash back to a stock rom when you take it in lol)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue