PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (GSM)
Carrier: Mobistar (Belgian daughter of Orange)

Focaldesign is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Trivial questions I don't find

Hey all,

I've never owned a PPC but want to buy the Touch.
I've searched lots of forums and viewed lots of reviews, but some very stupid simple questions I can't find.

(1) Can I find some pics of very standard stuff in WM?
For example how the screen looks when a call comes in and when you are having a call?
What does my mailbox and sms inbox look like?

(2) I find pics of the speeddial (touchFlo), but how fast can I go from the homescreen to the contactlist to quickly dial a number that isn't one of those 20 speeddials?

(3) Can you shut down the screen. When for example I'm calling I don't accidently want to touch a button with my ear during a call, or when it's in my pocket to save battery?

(4) I want to install some extra apps:
rlToday (with some png-'s for a skin)
Mortscript (to go with the rlToday)
VJToggleTodayII (to get rid of top and bottom bar)
VJKeyPress (to make battery icon copies the action of hitting 'X' and signal strenght icon for 'start')
PocketCM Keyboard
GCalc
S2U2 (with custom wallpaper)
Cube Config Tool (to change some icons and replace shotcuts to other apps)
OneTouchOrganizer
Opera browser

Will all those apps not fill my internal memory storage to hard and won't all those apps slow down my PPC too much? And what about battery life?

Last edited by Focaldesign; 12-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 PM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
1)This might help with some of your questions. It's an "interactive" demo of the Sprint Touch. It shows many of the screens you were looking for.

http://www.america.htc.com/support/s...g/default.html

2) To call someone that is not in your Quick Dial, you would press the green hard button, then start spelling the person's name (Xt9 style) the Smart Dial will bring up a list of contacts that have that spelling. Highlight the one you want and press the hard green key again. Pretty simple and fast.

3) Yes. Thankfully unlike Palm the screen shutdown button is separate from the Hang up button, so you can hit "Dial" and immediately hit the power button on the top to turn off the screen while you talk.

4)With the Sprint Touch (Vogue) you get 256MB of internal stoarge. You also get 128MB of RAM. I've had up to 14 programs running simultainously without any slowdown. Battery is also great!

Hope this helps!

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Focaldesign is a n00b
Thx for the very quick reply!

1) i'll check that right away

2) aha, looks pretty fast to me. Is there also a way to see a list of my contacts so I can simply flick scroll through them?

3) great!

4) That's a big releave

Thx again.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Focaldesign is a n00b
Additional questions:

5) nice to have a stylus/fingernail input method, does it really recognize writing easily?

6) if I install for example PocketCM Keyboard, can I set that as my default inputtype instead of always having to pick it by going to that menu first? And can I use that keyboard everywhere (mail, sms, input fields in apps, office, opera...°?

7) I don't want to use GPRS as in Belgium it costs a lot. I read I can disable it so no problem there. But is it possible to make my Touch check for mail when I have Wifi-connection? I spend a lot of time at my girlfriend and school. Both of them have accesable WLAN... would be nice if I didn't have to mannualy connect and check mail but have it connect (and disconnect to save battery?) and check for mail every hour or so.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
2) yes. at the bottom right there is a button that takes you immediately to a flickable contact list.

5)It recognizes about 80% of my chicken scratch when I use "Transcriber" Mode. It also has a "Block Recognizer" If you're used to Graffiti (sp?)

6)You can using a certain program that I can't remember the name of right now. It has SIP in it...hm. Otherwise it will default to the Touch 20 key.

7)Oops, didn't see you were from Belgium. The GSM version is a little slower than the CDMA version, and has a little less RAM. Other than that they are pretty much the same. Are we talking about the GSM Touch or the Vogue?

If you can have your mail check every hour and disable GPRS, then it will only be able to check when it is connected to Wifi.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

Mafamaticks is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post

6)You can using a certain program that I can't remember the name of right now. It has SIP in it...hm. Otherwise it will default to the Touch 20 key.

It's SIPChange
Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Mafamaticks!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Focaldesign is a n00b
2) nice

5) aha, will probably regonize my scribbling as well then (although, it will be Dutch, my guess it only know English?)

6) Hmm, will search for that...

7) Vogue? I only know the Touch...
Aha, didn't think of that, just say 'check every hour' and disable GPRS...
There isn't a way it's only connected to the wifi when searching for mails, just like in the old days you could say to outlook express it has to disconnect the internet connection of the 56K modem when finished downloading the emails?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Focaldesign is a n00b
About al those programs. Do you need to place them all in a folder simillar to Windows on a pc that runs them at startup? Like S2U2 needs to be up and running before you can use it to 'lock' your Touch, and rlToday and Mortscript need to be running to get the alternative skin...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM

I believe that those programs install themselves in the Start Up folder, but if not there is a \Windows\Start Up folder.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue