PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Force Touch to 1xRTT only?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem in my area lately, and I want to know if there's a way to force the Touch to 1xRTT only instead of EV-DO.

I'm thinking they might have made some new synergy sites around here that may not have EV-DO yet.

What I've noticed on the Touch is that it is normally on EV-DO with about 2 bars. When I get a phone call, it switches to 1X and all of a sudden I get full bars and it stays that way.

To test my theory I want to force the Touch to always use 1X instead of EV.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre, touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

IFMISM is keeping up the good workIFMISM is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is a thread that discusses how to unlock the hidden menus of your phone if i am not mistaken you can use this to force your phone to evdo or 1xrtt. try searching evdo for touch. i will search as soon i get home to help
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre, touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

IFMISM is keeping up the good workIFMISM is keeping up the good work
Ok, found this link HERE for forcing Ev/1X. Didn't work for me to try and force Ev so I'm calling Sprint for the upgrade.
Gave thanks to tstacks77. i used it and it works great
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung for the "Moment"
Carrier: Sprint

pg2k3 is becoming a great contributor
Why would you want to force 1X? From what I understand, The phones are programmed to show the signal quality/Strength of EVDO only. EVDO is sent over a separate 1.5Mhz band and therefore there is a chance that the strength may be lower. Forcing 1X wont do anything more than cause you to miss a few calls it wont really improve signal.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg2k3 View Post
Why would you want to force 1X? From what I understand, The phones are programmed to show the signal quality/Strength of EVDO only. EVDO is sent over a separate 1.5Mhz band and therefore there is a chance that the strength may be lower. Forcing 1X wont do anything more than cause you to miss a few calls it wont really improve signal.
That's not always true in a couple of examples that I can think of (from my understanding of reading other posts):

1) If someone lives in a fringe EVDO area the phone will try to hold onto the EVDO signal as long as possible instead of picking up the possibly stronger 1X signal.

2) It is my understanding that some of the new synergy sites are first setup with 1X only and later EVDO is turned on. If this is the case the phone will still hold onto the EVDO site even though the new synergy site might offer a better signal.

If you are right and the phone constantly uses both EVDO and 1X, then it wouldn't matter for voice since voice would use 1X anyway.

I wanted to try it on my Touch as a test, but if it works, then the phones I would do it to don't use data anyway, so that wouldn't really matter.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
There's a setting in PST that I changed which forced my phone to 1X only all the time. I'll look through PST today and see if I can find it.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
There's a setting in PST that I changed which forced my phone to 1X only all the time. I'll look through PST today and see if I can find it.
The link that IFMISM posted seems to work good:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...-1x-ev-do.html
Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Yeah that does essentially the same thing. I missed that somehow.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung for the "Moment"

pg2k3 is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
1) If someone lives in a fringe EVDO area the phone will try to hold onto the EVDO signal as long as possible instead of picking up the possibly stronger 1X signal.
True. Its also possible for a PowerVision phone to hold on to that EVDO signal for as long as possible while still using the control channel of the closer stronger tower to listen in for incoming calls and text massages. The signal strength bar is only going to show you the dbm reading for EVDO unless you are in a 1X only area. To determine if you are in the scenario I explained you can simply go to ##debug# from the phone application. Once in the debug menus compare the signal strength readings under "HDR" and "1X" sections.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg2k3 View Post
True. Its also possible for a PowerVision phone to hold on to that EVDO signal for as long as possible while still using the control channel of the closer stronger tower to listen in for incoming calls and text massages. The signal strength bar is only going to show you the dbm reading for EVDO unless you are in a 1X only area. To determine if you are in the scenario I explained you can simply go to ##debug# from the phone application. Once in the debug menus compare the signal strength readings under "HDR" and "1X" sections.
Thanks for that information! This doesn't make much sense because mine is backwards then.

My 1X RSSI is -96dB right now and my HDR RSSI is -88dB. Shouldn't that be the other way around? If the HDR has a better signal, wouldn't the 1X be the same as that?

Aren't all of the EVDO cell sites equipped with 1X for voice/data as well?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue