PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there an old people rom?

LOL. Exactly as the title suggests. I have a Sprint Touch phone that I no longer use. I upgraded to a Blackberry and would like to add my parents to my plan. They have a hard enough time with their Samsung Flip phone on AT&T so I was wondering if there is a basic rom out there for someone who is technically inept as them. I would like a rom with these basic features, slide lock, clock, phone, address book, the biggest keyboard layout there is available, and sync. Other than that they need nothing. Does anything come close to that? I would figure this would have to save battery life as well right?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon

Snowden is becoming a great contributor
Re: Is there an old people rom?

I'm interested in this too--my grandpa is planning to get a Touch to replace a three-year-old Motorola phone and I'd like to find something easy for him to use as well. I guess I could just cook him a custom ROM, though maybe it would be best for him to use the same ROM as me so we're on the same page. Which ROM do you have on the Touch right now?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I gave my wife the old touch when I went to the Pro... she loved it with the stock rom. I just asked her what she wanted to do with the phone and I set up shortcuts.
It gave her a chance to familiarize herself with winmo. Now she has my old pro and I got the pro2.
p.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The rom on there now is currently the last Sprint update for the phone. I had a custom rom on there but reverted back to the Sprint one after the developer gave up on it.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
The rom on there now is currently the last Sprint update for the phone. I had a custom rom on there but reverted back to the Sprint one after the developer gave up on it.
Yeah. That one is pretty friendly... Especially if they stay within the cube. I set up the caller id's for my wife and the weather and the telenav and all that jaz. She loved it except for when she figured she could text. Thenk she hated the on screen keyboard. Which is the main reason I went to the touch pro anyway.
p.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Just use the stock rom. Hard reset. Then remove all of the extra stuff from the today screen exept for htc home. Set up the cube with speed dial numbers and if you want you can use the cube configuration tool to set up the cube with whatever else you want. Install S2U2 for the unlock and for the keyboard install one of the full screen ones and use sip change to set it as the default. That should do it!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I still think it is too much. One slip of the finger in the wrong place and they are lost. The cube would most definitely confuse them. That would have to go altogether.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
I still think it is too much. One slip of the finger in the wrong place and they are lost. The cube would most definitely confuse them. That would have to go altogether.
Well, you can certainly disable the cube, I removed mine. I would still do a clear storage/hard reset with the stock rom and disable all of the stuff on the Today screen. You could even disable htc home if you want and download and install a simple clock like Pocket Digital Clock that just shows the time and date. Then download and install S2U2 for the slide screen unlock. Then you could get simething like icontact or a contact/dialer app that is finger friendly for phone use. There are also some themes available that change the today screen to function like the iPhone so you can make the today screen black with icons for the apps you want. Just depends on what you want the Today Screen to look like.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This is a EZ set up ? ...

Thanks T M Z
Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

What is that TMZ?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue