PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sprint ERI on verizon Roaming Fix (updated PRL's) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39985)

tomz17 10-09-2008 10:13 PM

Sprint ERI on verizon Roaming Fix (updated PRL's)

1 Attachment(s)
Works on my sprint 6900 converted to verizon... editing the ERI would be much more elegant. But since nobody seems to know how to do that (YET), I updated the PRL!

For the 6900, just put the correct file on your memory card and dial ##prl# or ##prl send

-----------------------------------------------

If you have a sprint phone converted to verizon, and can't access/update the ERI (common problem) resulting in a constant roaming indicator/icon, here are some modified PRL's to help you.

DISCLAIMER, USE THE BELOW INFORMATION AND FILES AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF USED IMPROPERLY, OR IF THE FILES CONTAIN ERRORS YOU WILL NEED TO MORTGATE YOUR HOUSE TO PAY FOR RESULTING ROAMING CHARGES. I TRIED MY BEST BUT I AM HUMAN AND MAY NOT HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING CORRECTLY.

The 51099 PRL (AC1) PRL is from my own phone, and the 51101 (AC2) PRL is from a sticky here.

The Verizon ERI values are (in decimal)
64 Verizon Wireless (indicator off)
65 Verizon Wireless (indicator solid)
66 Extended Network (indicator off)
67 Extended Network (indicator solid)
68 Roaming (indicator solid)
69 Extended Network (indicator flash)

The Sprint ERI values are (in decimal)
0 Digital Roam (sprint default)
1 Sprint PCS (no roam)
2 Digital Roaming (my default)
3 Out of Neighborhood
4 Out of Building
5 Roam Pref Sys
6 Roam Avail Sys
7 Roam Allince Prtnr
8 Roam Prem Prtnr
(there are more, but i got bored of resetting my phone)

Verizon doesn't seem to use 65 or 67 anywhere in it's PRL's.

So the methodology I used was to convert the roaming indicator value to the correct corresponding number in the Sprint ERI. (e.g.
64 -> 1
66 -> 1
68 -> 2
69 -> 5

In other words Roaming indicator off will give you a SPRINT PCS banner (with no roaming indicator). This means that you are safe to place calls on AC1 and AC2 at your normal rate plan.

Verizon Extended Blinking will give you a ROAM PREF SYS (with roaming indicator). This means that your rate plan still applies, but IN-calling does not! (so roam indicator is activated to alert you if your phone supports it)

Verizon ROAM Solid will give you a Digital Roaming banner (and roaming indicator). This means that you are paying extra for all phone services on AC1 and AC2 (roam indicator active to alert you).

HOW to use
The zip file includes
51099.prl (original 51099 AC1 PRL)
51101.prl (original 51101 AC2 PRL)
51099m.prl (modified 51099 AC1 PRL)
51101m.prl (modified 51101 AC2 PRL)

text files are included for each PRL so that you can see the changes yourself

If you have AC1 (America's Choice 1) load 51099m.prl onto your phone
If you have AC2 (America's Choice 2) load 51101m.prl onto your phone

Instructions for doing this vary by phone (if you have converted a sprint phone to verizon, then chances are you already know how to do this)

-Tom

P.S. in-calling policy for roaming is here
http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Calling%...n_calling.html

P.P.S. I did this by hand in QPST... If you want to write some software to do it here are the specs for the 683-C standard for the PRL files.
http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/t...-EIA-683-C.pdf

READ THE DISCLAIMER AGAIN... now here are the files
http://rapidshare.com/files/15253967...ntEri.zip.html

nitro66215 10-10-2008 09:48 AM

Re: Sprint ERI on verizon Roaming Fix (updated PRL's)

Awesome work. I've been wondering about this for a while. What about getting the VZW Banner to display correctly? I'm looking into the registry as I type this...

Also... I wonder if someone can edit this dll.... VZWPulgInERI.dll

tomz17 10-10-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitro66215 (Post 453341)
Awesome work. I've been wondering about this for a while. What about getting the VZW Banner to display correctly? I'm looking into the registry as I type this...

Also... I wonder if someone can edit this dll.... VZWPulgInERI.dll

I think that the banner text is actually read from the ERI... (I am using an alltel radio with a bell rom, and still see the sprint ERI text) Therefore the values are not stored in the registry or any dll on the system.

That being said, I don't see a reason why the software could not be patched to display something arbitrary (instead of the ERI text)...

Wish someone just found a way to update the eri, though!

-Tom

nitro66215 10-10-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomz17 (Post 453417)
I think that the banner text is actually read from the ERI... (I am using an alltel radio with a bell rom, and still see the sprint ERI text) Therefore the values are not stored in the registry or any dll on the system.

That being said, I don't see a reason why the software could not be patched to display something arbitrary (instead of the ERI text)...

Wish someone just found a way to update the eri, though!

-Tom

If that's the case... why does my banner display nothing? With VZW visible on my Today screen... the value is nothing. It used to be Preferred System. Does it have to do with the values sent back from the eri > PRL relationship?

nitro66215 10-10-2008 01:15 PM

Yes. I have the eri.bin file that when open in a hex editor, it displays the various text. Also... EPST is supposed to be able to write the eri using ##eri. The only problem, is that it errors. I'm guessing because of the conflict between Sprint / Verizon information on the phone.

Sucks. I have the Verizon MR1 updated PRI, and have the 2.07 stock verizon bootloader from the update, and still can't get the eri loaded. I thought maybe the EPST.exe file had an issue writing it, so I copied the Sprint EPST.exe file from their WM6.1 update... this did nothing same error. Is it possible that the EPST.exe has an issue with how the eri file is formatted?

jdin6800 12-01-2008 12:29 AM

the supplied verizon ERI file errors during install for me but seems to work actually. Also you can change the banner text in QPST service update (the full QPST software, not to be confused with EPST which has happened). Can't remember which tab at the moment but I've done it.

Unfortunately I still have no data in my sprint->verizon conversion.

mobidutch 12-02-2008 01:16 AM

Okay so I am on a nation wide family share plan, 1400 mins + Unlimted messaging + Email/Web for Smartphone. Which of these prl files should I use?

Also...am I understanding this correctly that if I currently see the roaming triangle, I run the risk of acruing roaming charges??

Ultima 01-08-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobidutch (Post 554157)
Okay so I am on a nation wide family share plan, 1400 mins + Unlimted messaging + Email/Web for Smartphone. Which of these prl files should I use?

Also...am I understanding this correctly that if I currently see the roaming triangle, I run the risk of acruing roaming charges??

For the purposes of voice usage Nationwide is the same as Americas Choice 2. The only differences is in how they bill data when you don't have VCast or a pda data package.

sephirothhoo 02-22-2009 04:38 AM

I am using the PRL in this thread