PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ppckitchen - Tips and Tricks - Share YOURS here!

This thread is designed to help maximize the full potential of ppckitchen.org's BuildOS. While they may not 100% approve of what is shared here, it worked for me or others....

This thread will be unique in that ppckitchen users can submit their Tips and Tricks that help them build awesome roms!

Not too much time will be spent on this first post just yet, let me describe the structure that I have in mind.

All tutorials should be no more than 1-2 posts. Any longer, start a thread and pm me the link. The tidbit will be linked in the 2nd post so you can find it easier. So yes, this thread is open to questions. I'll keep track of all the links, if I dissappear, a mod can add a link to a post of someone that can carry on in my absence. If I miss one after a couple of days, pm me and I'll add it. Here is what is planned as of now....

Post #1: Intro/Rules

Post #2: Links to the "how to tidbits" and other good info

Post #3: Basic Rom links. By this I mean a selections.txt and OEM package of what you used. (See post #4 for an idea)

Post #4: Let the tutorials start. Briefly describe what you did and the benefits...

That's it for now, now start posting your how-to's! This will elimate having to wade through hundreds of posts just to figure out something...

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: ppckitchen - Tips and Tricks Share them here!

Here are the links :

Creating Today Theme OEM's for your Custom Rom - Tutorial
This tutorial will allow you to include a custom Today Theme in your customized rom. Again, written to help the aspiring Chef of tommorrow!
PPCKitchen.org BuildOS Friendly!

Tutorial: Adding Registry Entries to your Rom (RGU Method)
This Tutorial will allow you to include your registry entries into your rom. I wrote this for the aspiring Chef of tomorrow! After all, Subtle Tweaks make all the Difference!

Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial
Have you ever wanted to customize the Sound Theme in your ROM? This tutorial will show you how to customize the Sounds in your Custom Rom!

Customize your StartMenu for PPCKitchen.org's - BuildOS - Tutorial
Have you ever wanted to customize the Start Menu in your ROM? This tutorial will show you how to customize the StartMenu, even those pesky ones like Help, Internet Explorer, Phone, Contacts, and Calendar that show up when you tap on the Start Menu!

Customizing Your Rom: Adding Personal Files & Other Stuff
Do you have certain files that you must have with a new flash or hard reset? Ringtones, Office templates for work, or others? Ones you can't lose if you have the dreaded "Corrupt Storage Card" issue, then this tutorial will show you how to insert your files into your rom and copy them where you want them so you will always have them!

Undocumented Features Links:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Using the "Patches" directory to overwrite rom build files............................................. .....Post #8

User Submitted Tweaks. Within this thread and elsewhere:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Packaging OEM's to save space and manage different projects..........................................Post #4

Setting up your E-mail accounts... With provxml........................................... ..................Post #5

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Reserved for misc ppckitchen links...

Misc Links:

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Packaging OEM's to save space and manage different projects

This tutorial will show you how to create different OEM packages for buildos.

Moving from dogguy's kitchen I had one major challenge. At any one time I had 8-15 kitchen's on my hard drive. Different projects such as, stock roms for helping folks, other chef's roms so I could help them, and different roms I was working on. So I needed a way if I was going to switch to also have that flexibility. I couldn't have just one place (USER_OEM) to put a variety of OEM's and keep my sanity... It's actually quite easy, here is what I did to include all my OEM_MegaPacks into my rom:

1. Archive your OEM's into an archive with a unique name. I chose USER_megapack.rar

2. In the ppckitchen install directory make a directory called "USER_OEM2" and copy your new USER_megapack.rar into it.

3. Edit your selections.txt and include that enrty. Here is a basic build and I have highlighted my entry in yellow. I add my entries right after PPCGeeks_OEM.rar. (and don't forget the ":" to indicate a .rar archive!!)

Code:

SelectionsVersion=.90.04
KitchenDir=Kitchens\Vogue_Core.rar:;
ModuleDir=kitchens\SYS_20273_QVGA.rar:
ModuleDir=kitchens\Generic_OEM.rar:
ModuleDir=kitchens\Drivers_Vogue.rar:
ModuleDir=kitchens\Carriers_Vogue.rar:
ModuleDir=kitchens\000_Shareware.rar:
ModuleDir=kitchens\PPCGeeks_OEM.rar:
ModuleDir=USER_OEM2\USER_megapack.rar:
ModuleDir=USER_OEM
OutputDir=kitchens\RUU
PreProcessTool=
PostProcessTool=
ROMDeviceType=Vogue
ROMRevType=GPS
ROMOSType=WM6.1
DeviceRUUType=Standard
DeviceCarrierType=Sprint
PagePoolSize=12
SelectedBootSplashImage=240x320,HTCSplash_Fire.png
SelectedSubSplashImage=240x320,HTCSplash_Fire.png
SelectedAnimSplashImage=240x320,fingerprint_anim651.gif
SelectedMainSplashImage=320x320,Diamond_welcomehead.96.png
110a1202-f5ca-49bd-90e3-3cf58e40a2b8, True, Sprint
fffff07f-5a9e-4efe-9a4f-527b04880440, True, zzz_My_Email_OEM_Dons
ffffffc7-4536-42ad-924d-ed96275488e1, True, zzz_My_Registry_OEM
ffffa07d-5a9e-4efe-9a4f-527b04880440, True, zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
fff614c7-4536-42ad-924d-ed96275488e1, True, zzz_My_TodayScreen_OEM
4. Now, restart buildos and it will find your entries!

I chose the directory USER_OEM2 just to limit the clutter in the other ppckitchen directorys, but keep it in the root directory where you installed BuildOS originally.

Now this is handy for me, now I can make subtle changes to each OEM within an archive and tailor it to the particular rom I'm building. You can also use this if you are only working on your rom. Me, I've just started using ppckitchen tommorrow and already have 5-6 different OEM packages I've archived this way. Plus it saves space on your hard drive!!! Now I can handle multiple rom builds and I'm not limited to just one set of OEM's...

Here are some suggested uses:
1. Use it for different skinning OEM's, like your diamond skinned OEM's.
2. Use it for different rom builds
3. Use it to ensure you have your favorite OEM's included
4. You could even extract OEM's you use, archive them, and delete the line referencing PPCGeeks_OEM.rar and you won't have to wade through all the "junk"!

This helped me temendously with my decision to use the ppckitchen's buildos.

Enjoy the tip people, and share yours!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Setting up your E-mail accounts...

Here is a usefull tool I use to setup my gmail e-mail accounts for my rom. I use a provxml file so that windows sets it up upon boot.

To incorporate this into your rom, See my tutorial in post #2 on Adding personal files and other stuff. Drop it into this OEM, and add to your USER_OEM directory.

The filename I use is "mxip_MyEmail_190.provxml"

Here are the contents:

Code:

<wap-provisioningdoc>
<characteristic type="EMAIL2">
 <characteristic type="{86bcb241-aec1-4800-bd9c-2d5e7ee00005}">
  <parm name="SERVICENAME" value="Gmail - rstoyguy" />
  <parm name="SERVICETYPE" value="IMAP4" />
  <parm name="INSERVER" value="imap.gmail.com" />
  <parm name="OUTSERVER" value="smtp.gmail.com" />
  <parm name="NAME" value="rstoyguy" />
  <parm name="AUTHNAME" value="rstoyguy@gmail.com" />
  <parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="password" />
  <parm name="DOMAIN" value="" />
  <parm name="REPLYADDR" value="rstoyguy@gmail.com" />
  <parm name="LINGER" value="120" />
  <parm name="RETRIEVE" value="-1" />
  <parm name="KEEPMAX" value="-1" />
  <parm name="DWNDAY" value="-1" />
  <parm name="FORMAT" value="2" />
  <parm name="AUTHREQUIRED" value="1" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTENABLED" value="1" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTAUTHNAME" value="dmcbork01" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTPASSWORD" value="password" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTDOMAIN" value="smtp.sprintpcs.com" />
 </characteristic>
</characteristic>

<characteristic type="EMAIL2">
 <characteristic type="{86ffb241-aec1-4800-bd9c-2d5e7ee00005}">
  <parm name="SERVICENAME" value="Gmail - DonMcBork" />
  <parm name="SERVICETYPE" value="IMAP4" />
  <parm name="INSERVER" value="imap.gmail.com" />
  <parm name="OUTSERVER" value="smtp.gmail.com" />
  <parm name="NAME" value="donmcniel" />
  <parm name="AUTHNAME" value="donmcbork@gmail.com" />
  <parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="password" />
  <parm name="DOMAIN" value="" />
  <parm name="REPLYADDR" value="donmcbork@gmail.com" />
  <parm name="LINGER" value="120" />
  <parm name="RETRIEVE" value="-1" />
  <parm name="KEEPMAX" value="-1" />
  <parm name="DWNDAY" value="-1" />
  <parm name="FORMAT" value="2" />
  <parm name="AUTHREQUIRED" value="1" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTENABLED" value="1" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTAUTHNAME" value="dmcbork01" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTPASSWORD" value="password" />
  <parm name="SMTPALTDOMAIN" value="smtp.sprintpcs.com" />
 </characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>
Edit your server information and passwords. And my name is not D McBork, that was kitchen fun!

Here is a link to Microsofts MSDN Library on EMAIL2 Configuration Service Provider, it will help you with what all the fields are....
Attached Files
File Type: zip mxip_MyEmail_190.zip (548 Bytes, 17 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 11:43 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Tips and Tricks, eh? how about the old patches folder
I remember learning about this old trick from you and mr geoff here
Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Tips and Tricks, eh? how about the old patches folder
I remember learning about this old trick from you and mr geoff here
Details sir! Give us some details, what it's named, and usefull uses for it!!!

I've only heard rumors of that directory, and honestly, I haven't quite yet flashed a rom with this yet....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Details sir! Give us some details, what it's named, and usefull uses for it!!!

I've only heard rumors of that directory, and honestly, I haven't quite yet flashed a rom with this yet....

Detail? you want details... ok here's some details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
I'll have to get home to check the actual edit but...

The PatchDir is a hardcoded path in your project file that imports anything you have in it into the build without any questions asked. It will be the last folder it copies in right before the actual ROM building part.

It is a little tidbit colonel told me a while back in the IRC. It is awesome for certain DLLs and whatnot.
Quote:
Add the following line to your saved project file:
PatchDir=C:\Program Files\ppckitchen.org\buildos\Patches

You can have the location in any folder, but I just made it easy on myself and put it w/ BuildOS.

Patches are copied in after the kitchen rars and the user_oem packages are read, but right before it starts building the registry.
Not sure how to use/what dll to put in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
From what I've heard, it's perfect for this OEM.. What it does is overwrites duplicates that are in the rom without prompting. Buildos processes the Rom archive(sys) files first, then user selection oem's, and then it processes the Patches folder. Anything in the patches folder will overwrite anything else already processed in the rom. Great for no2chem's 1% battery.dll, an updated audiopara.csv file, or a keyboard oem that replaces many standard rom graphics and dll's like this one...

A great undocumented feature!
Quote:
Exactly! I have the rilphone, battery, and the phcanOverbmp DLLs in there.

I haven't tried moving an entire OEM package in there. It would feel a little cluttered to me. Especially if it was the keyboard oem... that has a ton of files lol
hows that for details?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Detail? you want details... ok here's some details...

hows that for details?
Awesome! I'm feeling somewhat like a noob in charge here...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: ppckitchen - Tips and Tricks - Share YOURS here!

OK, a few details about patches...

A) It's very crude. It only exists because it's effective in a limited set of cases. It may go away at any time. It WILL go away eventually.

B) there are better ways of doing things. Patches is NEVER necessary...just expedient.

c) you can really screw yourself with patches. Know what you are doing, don't guess.

d) don't just dump an oem in there....odds are good you will end up with a mess. Besides, it's for PATCHES, not whole apps. If you're putting an oem in there, you need to stop. It's really for when an OEM isn't suitable.

e) don't expect help if you use patches. You are on your own. You can get really weird problems from using patches incorrectly.

f) don't use it as a means to avoid overwrite prompts. You will get screwed. There already exists a proper mechanism for handling overwrite prompts.

Last edited by gguruusa; 09-11-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development