PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a Carrier Specific Vogue Kitchen?
Yes! Soundsl like a great idea! 62 54.87%
No, I cook my own... 4 3.54%
No, I use PPCKitchen, you can do that already. 26 23.01%
No, I don't know how to cook... 11 9.73%
No, I'm using another persons rom... 10 8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who would want Carrier Specific Kitchens?

I'm thinking about releasing a kitchen for each carrier with the popular customizations and want to see if there is interest. Here is my idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME!
...How about a set of 4 fully functional kitchens... Each one based from the stock rom... For the following carriers: Bell, Alltell, Verizon, and Sprint Roms with all the popular components? With full support from me! All you have to do is read a tutorial or two, add what you want from all the popular applications and FLASH!!!

I'm thinking of the following components:
1. Kitchen...done.
2. Carrier Rom as base...done.
3. Carrier specific OEM's to fix/override issues in the stock rom and support add-ins.
4. Other OEM files to add in...done.

That way all I have to worry about is a couple carrier OEM's...Time for a new poll to see if there is interest...

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Who would want Carrier Specific Kitchens?

Also taking program requests so you guys have what you want...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Spiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Spiderman313

How about metropcs?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Do you have a link to an original rom so I can look into it? Of course, everything I need is at home on the hard drive, I was just thinking outloud and checking to see what interest there was before I invested the time in this venture...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Spencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Spencer_Moore

i dont really understadn the point but i may be wrong the ppckitchen does this alreadyy maybe there is oemthing i am missingg but im not sure
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: Sprint

evilvoice is just getting started

Well I understand the need for other kitchens besides ppckitchen. Ive had the ppckitchen on my pc for probably 1-2 months, and only in the past 3 weeks have started building my ROM, and only because of rstoyguy and his tutorials. PPCKitchen, IMO, is too convoluted for me and if you read some of my posts about OEMs I am a stickler for correct settings, and I also like a hands on approach.

Now, I personally think that the kitchen in rstoyguy's tutorial is great and dont really know what would change with specific carrier kitchens, but I trust that there is a need or rstoyguy would not put the time into it. If he thinks there is a need, then obviously there is and I wait to see what this new kitchen brings to the table. I say go for it as there is always a need for more options
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Gazoo22 is just getting started

If you are talking about having a kitchen for each carrier and then having the different versions of roms/oems separated, that sounds great.

I am running the stock bell release of August, I think it is 3.08, 3.42.50 or something like that. It would be nice to build a rom with known working changes made, like ati drivers, Registry changes, Battery management and programs that might need a tweak to get to run right for different roms. I think the best part of something like this would be the non listing of programs or versions of programs that do not work with your rom/radio/carrier combination.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

RStoyGuys goal only applies to people who want to use the old style kitchen. There is ZERO value in making seperate kitchens otherwise. There is extremely limited value in doing it even with the old style kitchen (like almost none).

If you find PPCKitchen convoluted, you're not going to find any other kitchen any better (the available interfaces are almost identical). I suggest you pare down the number of oems you have to pick between. You don't have to include PPCGeeks_OEM.

It would be great to have something that doens't list invalid rom/radio/carrier oems, but sadly that is not available and not being offered by RSToyGuy. I don't believe he is even planning on offereing much in the way of oems, so you'll be mostly on your own there.

The only value I see being offerred is really "the popular customizations". That can be done in a .cab or OEM without the need for an entire kitchen.

If you seriously want to do it though, have fun. It's a heck of a learning experience.

Last edited by gguruusa; 09-04-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

sorry, i don't usually comment on these things, but are you SERIOUS?

everything can be done as an OEM... heck, in GSM-land, ROMS work on hundreds of carriers without any extra work because they have this thing called advanced configuration.

nevertheless, I guess one cannot see how overcomplicated they are making things until they understand what they are getting themselves into.

therefore, i side with gguru, and agree with him that it will be a fun learning experience for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

no2chem and gguru packing the HEAT lol just kidding and IMO who cares just use a kitchen or better yet install the little cab that makes it work.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development