PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Improving GPS Accuracy (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33125)

jstich 07-26-2008 04:34 PM

Improving GPS Accuracy

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of the GPS on the Touch?

I'm running the newly released ROM for the HTC Vogue which I updated using the RUU EXE. I have GPSMode = 2 in the registry. I know different settings should improve/diminish accuracy, but what I'm seeing with all the settings is pretty unacceptable.

In most areas, both urban and residential, the "current location" seems to jump all over the map, within about 1-2 blocks of my actual stationary location. The number of satellites I track while stationary can range anywhere from 3-9 and changes every second.

I have a pretty clear view of the sky in most places that I try this, and the results seem to be consistent. I haven't exactly checked to see if some areas are consistently better than others, however I would say they are mostly similar (in a park with trees in close proximity and larger buildings a few blocks surrounding).

I am using NomiGPSPlot freeware to do tracks, but I see the same issues with Google Maps. I am able to export the track to Google Maps, and I have included the KML file to show how the tracking "jumps". I did this route on bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

tichi 07-26-2008 10:31 PM

Re: Improving GPS Accuracy

Yes, that is (unfortunately) consistent with my experience

(the carrier is Bell.ca)... GPS precision is about tens of meters, at least..

mindfrost82 07-26-2008 11:11 PM

Mine is pretty accurate. If I'm inside, it might show me in the backyard or be a little off but mine has been exact while driving. It shows me on the road the entire time and is really accurate as I'm approaching an intersection, if anything its a few feet off which isn't noticeable for me.

You usually need 4+ sats for the lock to be accurate. If it shows I have 2-3, then it usually does jump around. Even indoors with 4-8 it'll jump around, but it has been very accurate outside and I usually get 6-9 sats.

mc-fine 07-26-2008 11:51 PM

I dont have any issues with accuracy. Though sometimes on google maps it will show me on the wrong side of the freeway. I have noticed the locks are way faster using Garmin XT and the accuracy is spot on. Indoor locks as well.

funtek 07-27-2008 05:46 AM

I had similar problems with older radios (especially the ported Titan one (3.35)). Which radio do you have now? I find the newest sprint one to be a good compromise between quick locks and accuracy (3.42.something)

DHarvey 07-27-2008 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 361851)
Mine is pretty accurate. If I'm inside, it might show me in the backyard or be a little off but mine has been exact while driving. It shows me on the road the entire time and is really accurate as I'm approaching an intersection, if anything its a few feet off which isn't noticeable for me.

You usually need 4+ sats for the lock to be accurate. If it shows I have 2-3, then it usually does jump around. Even indoors with 4-8 it'll jump around, but it has been very accurate outside and I usually get 6-9 sats.

I have to agree with frosty here. Mine shows me as out on the street when I am inside my apartment but when I am driving it is dead on within 1-3 feet of my location. It even measures my speed very accurately usually within 1-2mph difference.

gedster314 07-27-2008 06:41 AM

Miine isn't bad either. Igo sometimes puts me on the wrong side of the freeway too. If I only have 3 satellites (indoors) gmaps puts me up the street a couple of houses. If I have 5 or more it's within about 10 feet.

It is strange how some phones do worse then others. Try one of the more popular custom roms and see if it does better.

hoddy4 07-27-2008 08:15 AM

It's funny, I added GPS Today onto my Today screen. GPS Today has the capability of showing your home address on that screen when you are home. It shows me in an address about 50 yards away.

jstich 07-27-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtek (Post 361990)
I had similar problems with older radios (especially the ported Titan one (3.35)). Which radio do you have now? I find the newest sprint one to be a good compromise between quick locks and accuracy (3.42.something)

3.42.30 is my radio version. The accuracy really comes and goes, but I just wanted to see if it was a common experience. It just frustrates me to be standing in one spot (open view of the sky) and see the trace jumping all around within 10-20 meters or so. I wish the thing could just pick one spot and show me there!

rolandroland 07-28-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstich (Post 361573)
Anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of the GPS on the Touch?

Have you tried testing with Live Search? I find Google jumps sometimes (but rarely for me) and Live never does. I find Live to be more reliable.