PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6900, XV6700, X50v
Carrier: Verizon

night_of_dreams is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon XV6900 with fast GPS lock *SOLUTION*

Hi all, I believe I have find a way to do this. First of all, I can't really take credit for this as I didn't invent these registry hack. All credits should go to the people in this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32703 I simply consolidate what's been discussed, and singles out what's working and what's not.

So let's begin. First off, I am using a Verizon XV6900, installed Coke's 2.31 unlocker, and flashed the radio to the Sprint latest (3.42.30). I also cook my own rom using PPCKitchen's 20270 Vogue rom. If you need instruction on how to do this, please read the according threads.

Now with a freshly cooked xv6900 (with no other gps tweaks or software from the kitchen), I do these 2 reg hacks:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
"GPSMode"=dword:00000002
change from 2 to 4
"EnablePDEIPFromNV"=dword:00000001

You may also change the ip address of the agps server as discussed in the thread I linked above, but that's the extra as changing the ip does NOT solve the lock problem.

After you make the registry edit and restart your phone, go back and check that those 2 registries are actually changed/added. I am using Resco Explorer and it's regeditor, and I find out if after I make the change and don't close down the editor before I restart, the changes are not saved. And if the regedit is not saved, it won't do anything for you, and you end up having a phone with non-working gps even you think you have changed the registry. So, before you do anything else, just double check your registry and make sure you have the correct value in it.

Now, all I do is install Google map, the latest version, and on a first lock, it takes about 20 seconds. I am now located about 50 miles from NYC and it seems to be working well indoors. Can't guarantee it works for everybody, maybe I just got lucky, but this is what I want to share with all other Verzion users.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff
Re: Verizon XV6900 with fast GPS lock *SOLUTION*

glad to hear it's working for you!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

jacksplat is just getting started

I'll have to reserve judgment until I try it a few times. My first pass was pretty typical of what I have been experiencing, about 2-3 minutes if I just plug it in and set it by a window to take it's time.

Now I'm using DHarvey's 2.9 VZW rom, which so far appears to be a great rom, and any of the other past roms I've tried haven't really made a difference with the GPS, so I hoping this fix doesn't get it's mojo from a clean 20270 rom only.

Although as I'm typing this, locked on 5 sats in my office...pretty sweet.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

taidan is just getting started

let us know how it goes jack. I will try it out as well. thanks to all
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Eris

pjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Doing a little testing myself I found no difference what so ever. I was using HTC GPS Tool, Windows Live Search, and Tom Tom. I would get locks with Tom Tom but it would take 3-5 minutes.

As soon as I installed and tried google maps I started getting cold locks at 10-20 seconds. If I use google maps to prime from a cold start everything else locks. Gps Tool was getting locks under 2 sec.

I may be mistaken but it sounds like Google maps will triangulate your position through the cell towers which seems help the gps as well. Just my experience.

If you haven't tried Google maps its a must
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

taidan is just getting started

No difference for me... we are discussing possible reasons for this in the other thread.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

vaxick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to vaxick Send a message via Yahoo to vaxick

Just tried it on the OMJ Verizon ROM based on 3.02 and it actually seems to be working. I changed the GPSMode from 2 to 4. The other reg setting was not in this ROM.

Gonna try it with another ROM now, but so far even after a few soft resets it is locking on very quickly so this just might be the magic ROM for my phone.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6900

arianhojat is just getting started

made my first rom with newest kitchen 20270, installed the 3 files mentioned in other thread, added those regedits, the NV one and messed with GPSMode 1, 2, 4. then soft reset and tested each gpsmode, i got a lock in 2.2 minutes. nothing special was getting those kinda locks before with other roms. if it can get 2m locks consistantly then thats a lil different. ill test tomorrow. if anyone is scared to create new ROM to test, can try mine, although i would clear the Today screen and change to the Pure Black theme so looks cleaner, its my first so just threw a bunch of progs on there, nothing special at all. WILL ADD LINK
in the general vx6900 thread when done...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...=30109&page=24
Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jacksplat is just getting started

I tested just the registry fixes on Dharvey's 2.9 rom and the biggest difference for me was using Google maps instead of HTC GPS tool. I can consistently get a 2 minute lock outside. Inside still takes a little longer if I'm by a window.

In my office at work though, where the window is further away, I let it run 10 minutes and it never locked.

Again, not sure if it was the registry changes or not because Google was never my go-to primer, but 2 minutes beats the 5-10 i was seeing before using HTC GPS Tool before.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksplat View Post
I tested just the registry fixes on Dharvey's 2.9 rom and the biggest difference for me was using Google maps instead of HTC GPS tool. I can consistently get a 2 minute lock outside. Inside still takes a little longer if I'm by a window.

In my office at work though, where the window is further away, I let it run 10 minutes and it never locked.

Again, not sure if it was the registry changes or not because Google was never my go-to primer, but 2 minutes beats the 5-10 i was seeing before using HTC GPS Tool before.
Maybe someone can confirm if the second registry isn't there it should be created?

About to try now of a 20270 kitchen rom!

Edit: The 20270 kitchen already had me set to mode 4

Last edited by rolandroland; 07-25-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development