PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

View Poll Results: Does gps work for you with fix?
Didn't work and still doesn't. 11 28.21%
Didn't work and now does! 3 7.69%
Did work and now doesn't (then why did you try it? :P) 5 12.82%
Did work and now get better locks. 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb New potential GPS fix work for you?

I am posting this because as a highly sceptical Verizon user I have tried everything to get my gps to work over the last 2 motnhs and this if the first thing to actually give me real results.

What I am posting is based on this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32703 (Thanks to fredcatsmommy for posting the files originally)
I am not responsible if you install this (seems to be the trendy thing to say :P)

Here are the steps:
-Under HKLM/Software/HTC/SUPL AGPS check that reg value "GPS Mode" is 4
-Under HKLM/Software/HTC/SUPL AGPS added dword key "EnablePDEIPFromNV " and value of 1
-Downloaded the attached zip and extract the 3 files, copy them to your \Windows directory on your 6900.
-Install them in order of 1, 3 , 2 (based on first character of filename), 1 and 3 will not give an install message, you'll just see the screen refresh. 2 will run a regular install message.
-You MUST now (typo said not) soft reset your phone before it'll work

I do have to run GPS Viewer to prime from a cold start. I get locks in about 1 minute, sometimes up to 90 seconds.

I would like to get some semi-scientific which is why I am starting this pole.

ps, any way to edit typos in a poll?
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC.Device.Software.zip (7.8 KB, 54 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rolandroland; 07-29-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6900

royals21 is a n00b
Re: New potential GPS fix work for you?

I've followed the steps......

How do you define working?

--My GPS was "working" before, but took 2-3 min to lock (not really "working")

--Changed registry and installed files. Got three text messages saying things had been changed.

--No appreciable change in GPS
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Former Midwest Wireless forced to Alltel and soon to be Verizon

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

better yet.... now it doesn't seem like the gps chip is even active... no battery drain, no excess heat... no nuthin! anyone got an idea... im using the new kitchen and the only thing i could think of is drivers or that BAF GPS Toggle doesn't work in winmo 6.1

Old 07-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeurx View Post
better yet.... now it doesn't seem like the gps chip is even active... no battery drain, no excess heat... no nuthin! anyone got an idea... im using the new kitchen and the only thing i could think of is drivers or that BAF GPS Toggle doesn't work in winmo 6.1
Not sure, I am using the latest kitchen myself. Maybe it is an option you have. If you are willing to flash I'll post my selection list so you can see if it makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals21 View Post
I've followed the steps......

How do you define working?

--My GPS was "working" before, but took 2-3 min to lock (not really "working")

--Changed registry and installed files. Got three text messages saying things had been changed.

--No appreciable change in GPS
I was getting no locks and now I am getting 1 - 2 min locks from cold and warm locks of a min or less. From my experince with gps on the 6900 so far this is a night and day difference for me.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

jacksplat is just getting started

I'm on the fence on this one as well. I now get 1-2 minute locks outside. Still nothing indoors unless it's by a window. But in addition to making the registry changes, I also (as suggested) use Google Maps to prime the GPS instead of HTC GPS Tool. If I don't use google maps, I'm back up to 5 minutes. So I'm thinking it may just be google maps somehow?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6900

arianhojat is just getting started

i dunno. didnt lock for me so quick. same if not worse. i have a new phone coming in so ill test a bit more.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksplat View Post
I'm on the fence on this one as well. I now get 1-2 minute locks outside. Still nothing indoors unless it's by a window. But in addition to making the registry changes, I also (as suggested) use Google Maps to prime the GPS instead of HTC GPS Tool. If I don't use google maps, I'm back up to 5 minutes. So I'm thinking it may just be google maps somehow?
I don't use Google Maps so I didn't test with that. I prime with GPS Viewer and then run either Live Search or TomTom.

In my experience Google seems less accurate in terms of position and map data. For instance where I live it has the street spit into two names for different parts which is inaccurate and the other 2 have it correct. Weird since I assumed they all got their maps from the same place at some level.

Also I fixed a typo on the original post I missed (sorry!) you must soft reset your phone after the fix, before it had the word not but anyone reading the linked thread saw that you had to.

Last edited by rolandroland; 07-28-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6900

kylo77 is just getting started

I've run the same process as above with no real difference on performance. Once it does lock, anywhere from 60 sec to 3 mins if I'm patient, it's accurate enough for TomTom. I prime with GPSviewer. Google Maps and Live work well.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

NFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to NFSFAN

The files in the archive have nothing to do with GPS. They are just some certificates that are installed to allow some specific privileged apps, and Microsoft Visual Studio. There is absolutely no way that the above can make GPS lock faster.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6900

arianhojat is just getting started

i think adding VIRSER_GPS.dll to windows folder might help. some rom authors put it in but i didnt see it in GPS kitchen. at lunch downtown, i couldnt get a lock. but on the train i easily got a lock after a couple minutes which is really rare for me on moving train.
visualGPSce seemed to not jump around but HTC GPS Tool did. haha i keep switching on what is the 'better gps' priming app. im gonna setttle on visualGPSce. if it jumps around, ill turn off, take battery out, go back to HTC GPS Tool, clear memory for a sec. then start visualGPSce, think im gonna settle to test that way haha.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development