PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: (Bell Mobility)

avdude is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC QuickGPS - Locks in under a minute EVERYTIME...After LOTS of reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion600 View Post
Man, that is weird.....

Have you given BuildOS from the kitchen a try? Again, that is what i ma using now.

Otherwise, I would be inclined to flash back to a Bell stock Rom and go forward from there. You know, change the unlocker back, run the Stock Rom, then update the unlocker and try again...??? That is the approach I would take.
Yup my thoughts exactly.....I am going to flash my son's touch in the next few days. He is still on a the updated stock bell rom so we will se how i make out with that.. Funny thing is when i flash a cooked rom from omj or the kitchen it works like it should.... as soon as i try the leaked rom to upgrade to the new radio it all goes south on me....Maby some other bell user who has encountered this issue will chime in, thanks for the help though, The set up i have now works very well... i should just be content for the time being and quit worring about the .15 radio...lol.. when I try and load omj's rom built on the "leaked" rom I get no gps just a lot of flashing red sats in gps viewer which i know works properly with rom's built on the pre leaked rom's so I am just going to stick with this and see what hppens to my son's touch when i try to go from stock .. Hopefully i get a proper .15 radio loaded and can compare the 2 side by side.. If i can get his to work, I will go back to stock and start from scratch and go directly to .15 radio rom ...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: (Bell Mobility)

avdude is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopmanx View Post
Jim, no PPST.exe ran fine. I only was able to lock after running QuickGPS oddly. I know it's been said that it's just a placebo, but on a fresh ROM install, I ran PPST.exe, reset, then would run GPS Viewer, cold start. I'd leave it in one spot for 30 minutes and it wouldn't lock. I tried this a few times, in multiple places Then in the same position after running QuickGPS for the first time in the original spot, I was able to within a minute.
It's funny what works on some phones and doesn't on other's .... I have never ran ppst file or let carier customization run (3 second soft reset) I try to only use one "primer " at a time making sure the other one is turned off and results are usually the same on cold starts... Even after you close a "primer" it is warm and should lock quickly next time you open it..It seems trial and error is the key to finding what works best for your setup....I get the same results as far as quickness to lock with gps viewer and gps today although I have noticed a difference in the # of locks when you check gps status in either primer or in TOM TOM ........
Old 05-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopmanx View Post
Jim, no PPST.exe ran fine. I only was able to lock after running QuickGPS oddly. I know it's been said that it's just a placebo, but on a fresh ROM install, I ran PPST.exe, reset, then would run GPS Viewer, cold start. I'd leave it in one spot for 30 minutes and it wouldn't lock. I tried this a few times, in multiple places Then in the same position after running QuickGPS for the first time in the original spot, I was able to within a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdude View Post
It's funny what works on some phones and doesn't on other's .... I have never ran ppst file or let carier customization run (3 second soft reset) I try to only use one "primer " at a time making sure the other one is turned off and results are usually the same on cold starts... Even after you close a "primer" it is warm and should lock quickly next time you open it..It seems trial and error is the key to finding what works best for your setup....I get the same results as far as quickness to lock with gps viewer and gps today although I have noticed a difference in the # of locks when you check gps status in either primer or in TOM TOM ........
im pretty certain that ppst exe will work on any and all sprint vogues...everytime. it is not hard and there are no secret tips.

THIS IS ALL YOU DO ONCE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT RADIO AND A GPS ROM:
run the ppst cab.
run ppst.exe
allow soft reset.

THATS IT k guys lol?

and just to clarify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdude View Post
...Even after you close a "primer" it is warm and should lock quickly next time you open it....
the only time that it is still going to be "warm" is if you run it within 4 hours of your last gps connection...regardless of primers. it is either 4 or 8 hours, i have heard/read both from respectable sources/ppl. but you dont have you use a primer to achieve a warm start. in fact a primer does not affect whether it is a warm boot or cold boot ever.

just wanted to clear that up for any readers

also, as has been mentioned here (though it was only mentioned for TomTom), i think i would recommend astrogps as a primer if that is the way you are going to go. seems to be one of the most effective, and is managed automatically. there is just a generic version, a version for TomTom, and a version for something else too i think...(if i remember right).

but either way i would definitely not recommend going the primer way if you are sprint. i think the altell ppst achieves the same thing but i am not sure...

IF YOU ARE SPRINT AND WANT GREAT GPS..DO THIS:
get a gps rom, radio, and b/l.
run ppst cab found in sprint gps sticky, page 14.
run ppst.exe
allow soft reset.

very easy, proven, and logical...(aka makes sense and everything).

primers are for all those out there who still dont have a carrier who has released an update for pri/prl....but if you are sprint, forget priming and upgrade! it works much better everytime...no trial and error or anything.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Old 05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

stealthbear is a n00b

Bell Mobility, Vancouver BC, Mustan April 2008 Version Clean ROM, GPS Viewer, QuickGPS, TomTom Navigator Latest Release.
I have tried everything available on this form, all Bell compatible Roms, different primers, different GPS Nav programs, I was not even able to get a lock using GPS Viewer, until I followed the instructions on this thread using QuickGPS, I now get locks in under 2mins, I use gps viewer to prime, waid for a fix, then launch TomTom... Bingo!!!. This works. Period.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZW

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

after many different methods and now i tried the quickgps.. just a quick download then search in google maps and i get a lock-on in roughly a minute usually less. then i load up igo8 and im set.. thanks a lot

Last edited by Certs; 05-26-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

Audi2Audi is becoming a great contributor

Good Morning,

I am glad to see people finding this solution to work!

Did anyone have any luck with the xda-developers patched version that has been posted?

I tried it out & it updated with out the error message but then it appeared I was not getting quick locks, so I have reverted back to the pasting of the xtra.bin to the Windows directory method.

Thanks, Audi2Audi.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi2Audi View Post
Good Morning,

I am glad to see people finding this solution to work!

Did anyone have any luck with the xda-developers patched version that has been posted?

I tried it out & it updated with out the error message but then it appeared I was not getting quick locks, so I have reverted back to the pasting of the xtra.bin to the Windows directory method.

Thanks, Audi2Audi.
i use the patch version cause it would have that annoying connection failed and wouldn't fully download.. jus switched the .exe files in /windows.. works great i have never had to copy the xtra.bin and locks under a minute
Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

Audi2Audi is becoming a great contributor

I ran the .reg file and copied the patched .exe...Maybe I should have just copied the patched .exe alone!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

i put both the reg and exe in the windows folder. and after that it just worked.. i donno if i had to do anything with reg but i thought what the hell might as well put it in there too
Old 05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch vogue
Carrier: Bell

Balkar is becoming a great contributor

Hey i took the file that has the quickgps cab, the reg edit and other stuff and i was wondering what to do with the red edit and the exe... Where do i copy them... Also, i have some tools for advance editiing but i've never handled and .reg file...

Any help would help a lot more!

Thanks!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development