PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26410)

dew.man 05-13-2008 07:54 AM

Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this!

While the Alltel rom did enable GPS for me, I had a very long wait for a lock, the gps would stop working if the phone went to sleep, and it was generally unreliable (sometimes I'd have to do 3 resets to get it to lock).

After installing the leaked rom, I let the customizations run, and gps started working much better. Over the weekend, I played with different roms I had cooked up, and eventually decided to go back to the stock rom. Upon flashing back, I proceeded to reset before customizations and install my apps just as I always have with most of my devices. I then found that the gps was not working nearly as well as I had remembered.

This is when I ran across a suggestion that made all the difference for me: run the ppst.exe file in the windows folder. Supposedly, it sets some flag in the radio.

After doing a clean leaked rom install without customizations, making the gpsmode=4 registry change, and having run the ppst app, I now get consistent locks with an average wait of about 20 seconds and the device continues to work great without any resets (knock on wood)...

mindfrost82 05-13-2008 08:03 AM

Re: Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dew.man (Post 281150)
While the Alltel rom did enable GPS for me, I had a very long wait for a lock, the gps would stop working if the phone went to sleep, and it was generally unreliable (sometimes I'd have to do 3 resets to get it to lock).

After installing the leaked rom, I let the customizations run, and gps started working much better. Over the weekend, I played with different roms I had cooked up, and eventually decided to go back to the stock rom. Upon flashing back, I proceeded to reset before customizations and install my apps just as I always have with most of my devices. I then found that the gps was not working nearly as well as I had remembered.

This is when I ran across a suggestion that made all the difference for me: run the ppst.exe file in the windows folder. Supposedly, it sets some flag in the radio.

After doing a clean leaked rom install without customizations, making the gpsmode=4 registry change, and having run the ppst app, I now get consistent locks with an average wait of about 20 seconds and the device continues to work great without any resets (knock on wood)...

I let the customizations run and it ran the PPST.exe file for me. I still don't usually get locks indoors (unless its a warm start), but its been working pretty good outside.

dew.man 05-13-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 281155)
I let the customizations run and it ran the PPST.exe file for me. I still don't usually get locks indoors (unless its a warm start), but its been working pretty good outside.

You can't use indoor locks as a measuring stick, as building construction can greatly effect reception.

For example: at my home and in my car, I get very quick locks - average about 20 seconds, and a cold fix this morning took under a minute. In my office building, however, I can go in the hallway, and sometimes get a lock while other times nothing, and in my office, I have never gotten a lock with any gps receiver.

So the important thing when evaluating gps changes/fixes/performance, is that your tests be consistent. WAY too many users have to wait 10 minutes for a first fix, make a registry change, and then exclaim miraculous improvements when the subsequent fix only takes 10 seconds.

I try to base my observations on (somewhat) prolonged use under similar conditions with repeatability being key, and ppst seems to have made a huge difference.

UltramanV 05-13-2008 08:28 AM

I have the same results as DewMan .. I did exactly what he said and I cant count to 20 b4 the GPS locks on . And over all my radio reception is greater.. i get bars in areas where i never did b4...

specv 05-13-2008 08:31 AM

There is no absolute answer. I am running the OEM rom and didnt add the viser.dll file. I did not let the customization run and im getting consistent locks very quickly 20-30 seconds.

Im glad you are trying to help but everyone seems to be looking for the ultimate solution that just doesnt exist.

dew.man 05-13-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specv (Post 281169)
Im glad you are trying to help but everyone seems to be looking for the ultimate solution that just doesnt exist.

Speak for yourself. I wanted my gps to be usable and until this, no matter what I did, it would never get a lock when I needed it. I'd be in the car, fire up TomTom, and then soft-reset three times over 10-20 minutes trying to get a lock. Hardly a usable solution.

I now can run TomTom and get a lock before I pull out of the driveway. "Ultimate" may not be the word for it, but definitely much better than before, and now very usefull.

Besides, as my title says: "try this." Who knows, maybe at least one person can benefit by running the ppst.exe which would make this thread worthwhile.

Thanks for you constructive input, though...

johnnymac 05-13-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dew.man (Post 281150)

What is the gpsmode=4 registry change? What does it do?

dew.man 05-13-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnymac (Post 281186)
What is the gpsmode=4 registry change? What does it do?

HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\GPSmode=4

It has been discussed/debated for a long time, and there is no conclusive proof that it does anything, but some claim that it is the "hybrid" mode for gps that allows it to use a combination of cell tower triangulation, as well as satellites to obtain a fix.

You can find several days worth of reading on it if you search ;-)

truebeliever71 05-13-2008 10:08 AM

I am running OMJ's Custom ROM and do not have the PPST.exe file. GPS is working pretty well for me as long as I use GPS Toogle and GPSviewer to prime the CPS when I need to use it. Do you still have to use those apps after running PPST?

Red49er 05-13-2008 10:13 AM

dewMan, are you still priming TomTom with google maps, or is that no longer necessary with the leaked rom?