PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this!

While the Alltel rom did enable GPS for me, I had a very long wait for a lock, the gps would stop working if the phone went to sleep, and it was generally unreliable (sometimes I'd have to do 3 resets to get it to lock).

After installing the leaked rom, I let the customizations run, and gps started working much better. Over the weekend, I played with different roms I had cooked up, and eventually decided to go back to the stock rom. Upon flashing back, I proceeded to reset before customizations and install my apps just as I always have with most of my devices. I then found that the gps was not working nearly as well as I had remembered.

This is when I ran across a suggestion that made all the difference for me: run the ppst.exe file in the windows folder. Supposedly, it sets some flag in the radio.

After doing a clean leaked rom install without customizations, making the gpsmode=4 registry change, and having run the ppst app, I now get consistent locks with an average wait of about 20 seconds and the device continues to work great without any resets (knock on wood)...

Last edited by mindfrost82; 05-13-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: bolded and underlined the important fix
This post has been thanked 42 times.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
While the Alltel rom did enable GPS for me, I had a very long wait for a lock, the gps would stop working if the phone went to sleep, and it was generally unreliable (sometimes I'd have to do 3 resets to get it to lock).

After installing the leaked rom, I let the customizations run, and gps started working much better. Over the weekend, I played with different roms I had cooked up, and eventually decided to go back to the stock rom. Upon flashing back, I proceeded to reset before customizations and install my apps just as I always have with most of my devices. I then found that the gps was not working nearly as well as I had remembered.

This is when I ran across a suggestion that made all the difference for me: run the ppst.exe file in the windows folder. Supposedly, it sets some flag in the radio.

After doing a clean leaked rom install without customizations, making the gpsmode=4 registry change, and having run the ppst app, I now get consistent locks with an average wait of about 20 seconds and the device continues to work great without any resets (knock on wood)...
I let the customizations run and it ran the PPST.exe file for me. I still don't usually get locks indoors (unless its a warm start), but its been working pretty good outside.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I let the customizations run and it ran the PPST.exe file for me. I still don't usually get locks indoors (unless its a warm start), but its been working pretty good outside.
You can't use indoor locks as a measuring stick, as building construction can greatly effect reception.

For example: at my home and in my car, I get very quick locks - average about 20 seconds, and a cold fix this morning took under a minute. In my office building, however, I can go in the hallway, and sometimes get a lock while other times nothing, and in my office, I have never gotten a lock with any gps receiver.

So the important thing when evaluating gps changes/fixes/performance, is that your tests be consistent. WAY too many users have to wait 10 minutes for a first fix, make a registry change, and then exclaim miraculous improvements when the subsequent fix only takes 10 seconds.

I try to base my observations on (somewhat) prolonged use under similar conditions with repeatability being key, and ppst seems to have made a huge difference.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Sprint

UltramanV is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to UltramanV

I have the same results as DewMan .. I did exactly what he said and I cant count to 20 b4 the GPS locks on . And over all my radio reception is greater.. i get bars in areas where i never did b4...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor

There is no absolute answer. I am running the OEM rom and didnt add the viser.dll file. I did not let the customization run and im getting consistent locks very quickly 20-30 seconds.

Im glad you are trying to help but everyone seems to be looking for the ultimate solution that just doesnt exist.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by specv View Post
Im glad you are trying to help but everyone seems to be looking for the ultimate solution that just doesnt exist.
Speak for yourself. I wanted my gps to be usable and until this, no matter what I did, it would never get a lock when I needed it. I'd be in the car, fire up TomTom, and then soft-reset three times over 10-20 minutes trying to get a lock. Hardly a usable solution.

I now can run TomTom and get a lock before I pull out of the driveway. "Ultimate" may not be the word for it, but definitely much better than before, and now very usefull.

Besides, as my title says: "try this." Who knows, maybe at least one person can benefit by running the ppst.exe which would make this thread worthwhile.

Thanks for you constructive input, though...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

johnnymac is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
What is the gpsmode=4 registry change? What does it do?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
What is the gpsmode=4 registry change? What does it do?
HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\GPSmode=4

It has been discussed/debated for a long time, and there is no conclusive proof that it does anything, but some claim that it is the "hybrid" mode for gps that allows it to use a combination of cell tower triangulation, as well as satellites to obtain a fix.

You can find several days worth of reading on it if you search
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch/Vogue - Searching for a working GPS ROM

truebeliever71 is a n00b

I am running OMJ's Custom ROM and do not have the PPST.exe file. GPS is working pretty well for me as long as I use GPS Toogle and GPSviewer to prime the CPS when I need to use it. Do you still have to use those apps after running PPST?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

Red49er is keeping up the good workRed49er is keeping up the good work

dewMan, are you still priming TomTom with google maps, or is that no longer necessary with the leaked rom?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development