PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

budakai is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint still having GPS problems? Try this!

Well i have an htc touch and ran the ppst.exe in the windows directory and it seems to work for now. I have tested it for about an hr now and it works on all occasions. I use the sprint nav software and google maps and windows live all recv a lock in about 10 sec. and thats on the 3rd floor of where i work. Im going to continue to test and post a follow up. FYI i powered off the unit and turned it back on and still up and running. Im running the sprint rom 3.03.351.4
Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work

The GPS problem has long been fixed...it's interesting how this thread continues to go on and on...lol
You guys that are still having GPS problems should make sure you state that you have plenty of internal memory space available.
Otherwise if you don't, then you'll just be going in circles trying different things and it will always be hit or miss on your locks. I might aim for about 14mb's free memory for good measure. The only thing I ever needed to do was run the ppst.exe, and sometimes reboot...but that might have been due to just needing to clear memory. Once cleared it takes a few minutes (sometimes) to get the first gps lock but afterwards it should lock considerably faster due to the fact that it now has a relative position of satelites.
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Idiot View Post
The GPS problem has long been fixed...it's interesting how this thread continues to go on and on...lol
You guys that are still having GPS problems should make sure you state that you have plenty of internal memory space available.
Otherwise if you don't, then you'll just be going in circles trying different things and it will always be hit or miss on your locks. I might aim for about 14mb's free memory for good measure. The only thing I ever needed to do was run the ppst.exe, and sometimes reboot...but that might have been due to just needing to clear memory. Once cleared it takes a few minutes (sometimes) to get the first gps lock but afterwards it should lock considerably faster due to the fact that it now has a relative position of satelites.
Do you know which ppst.exe you run? Over the past few months I have seen at least 4 variations.

Also, do you run it after each HARD reset, no matter what ROM you are using? --or did you just run it once?

I haven't run it in months, because most ROMs work fine out of the box.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work

I haven't had to run it in months either. It was the one that was already on the phone. I discovered it worked before this thread even came into existence. I was amazed at all the different tactics people were allegedly having to go through to get their gps to work.
"ie: go outside and do an Indian Dance around some chicken bones then reset your phone... If that doesn't work, do the dance again and then run ppst.exe and then reset your phone".

So yeah, maybe the dance works for some. I just bypass the dance part and the GPS works for me. You have to remember the variables. GPSatelite signal strength varies depending on a number of factors. Your phone's ability to process those signals varies on a number of factors. Some commonly overlooked are available memory and processor usage and time lapsed since last GPS lock.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

jseppe is a n00b

My GPS used to connect in 10 - 20 seconds using OMJ's 3.03 ROM; upgraded to OMJ's latest and it stopped working. I then proceeded to try Dette's latest, still, no GPS or sometimes VERY sporadic if and when it did work. Therefore, after many tests, I concluded that it couldn't' be the ROMs so I tried the advice in this thread and ran PPST.EXE. It rebooted and now works likes charm. I am obtaining 10 - 20 second locks again - woo hoo!!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Well you need to run PPST.exe at some point in time...

jseppe, which file did you run? which download link, and what kind of results are you getting now?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

jseppe is a n00b

ScrapMaker: I didn't download the link, it was in the Windows directory. It is 328K and I believe it came down with the Dette's ROM. I am locking 4-5 satellites in 10 -20 seconds and works perfectly. I've restarted the device several times and it still works great. Hope that helps.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development