PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
N00b

KyleMac is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Dangers of downgrading after installing GPS radio (and a little on signing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
So those of us "upgrading" to the 3.xx/GPS radios are assuming and hoping that HTC/Sprint will follow with a release being 2.xx+ compatible atleast and /or a radio that "upgrades" or totally replaces our "hacked" 3.xx..

And if that is not the case, we will end up with units with "dirty" radio ROM area? Thus causing possible incompatibilities with official ROM releases and/or end up with bricks?

I am further wondering, if sprint techs will be able to detect this when and if we have to turn in a faulty unit for repair or exchange..

-CC
The official release of the Sprint Touch GPS ROM will more than likely be a 3.xx radio. The titan's radio is a 3.35, so the touch should be in the same range, who knows maybe itll even be the 3.37 radio customized for sprint.

To answer your second question, yes the sprint tech's will almost certainly be able to detect this. Especially when they see that the bootloader screen says 2.31 ImCokeMan. Also the radio version can easily be detected in the EPST.ink menu.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

SpoiledK is just getting started

Ok, this is definitely not good... I have one that needs work, repair or exchange... The screen does not align correctly, even after a screen alignment it would crap out after a few minutes... Any suggestions as to what to do..? I currently have a GPS rom on it...

Thanks...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700
Threadstarter

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMac View Post
Thanks imcokeman, 2 questions for ya:

1) Why is installing the Titan GPS radio a bad idea, but its "ok" to install the Alltel radio? The Titan radio (3.35) is sprint's radio, so shouldnt that be more compatible with my Sprint Touch than the Alltell 3.37 radio (i currently have 3.37 on my Sprint Touch and am considering "downgrading" to 3.35 because of all of the rave reviews about the increase in GPS performance).

2) Is the 3.35 radio the Titan radio you say to avoid installing? Thank you.
Radios ARE device specific! I am speaking from a physical device level on all of this. Do not flash Titan radios on a Vogue! If i felt the phones were the same i'd make a model ID patch in the SPL as well, but they are different devices! As for the carrier, once you have your device as SuperCID which the unlocker simulates there is no physical limitation to using a radio from another carrier.

Now on the other hand the carriers do have customizations and they may not be set up correctly when using a new radio/rom, but that doesn't make the device more prone to unrecoverable device bricking which are the dangers i'm speaking of.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN View Post
Radios ARE device specific! I am speaking from a physical device level on all of this. Do not flash Titan radios on a Vogue!
Nice to have someone more "reputable" acknowledge/confirm this as I got tired of being treated like a n00b when I made that claim/statement!

Speaking of which, is the WiFi access in the Titan part of the radio, or is there a separate abstraction layer?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Lurker

ceebz is a n00b

I went from the Titan radio back to 3.37. I was having lots of issues making outgoing calls with 3.35.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I'm not saying its "impossible" to go back to stock (on surface), but it is risky and even if it appears to work there could be problems down the road. You will not see a write up by me for going back to stock that involves flashing a different radio after the device has a 3.xx a GPS one.
This reminds me, of not so long ago, our conversation about downgrading... where i remember saying you'd admit reluctantly that it's not "impossible" but highly not recommended. Even that being said, with some of the more recent threads that are around, i completely understand why you started this
Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

pcdoc is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
I went from the Titan radio back to 3.37. I was having lots of issues making outgoing calls with 3.35.
What steps did you take to go back to 3.37 from 3.35, if you don't mind. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Lurker

ceebz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoc View Post
What steps did you take to go back to 3.37 from 3.35, if you don't mind. Thanks.
While I did get the radio changed, I think I'll let someone else give the step-by-step directions on how to do it. My process involved having to flash the stock ROM via sd card to bring my Touch back from the dead.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6900, XV6700, X50v
Carrier: Verizon

night_of_dreams is a n00b

Quote:
Radios ARE device specific! I am speaking from a physical device level on all of this. Do not flash Titan radios on a Vogue! If i felt the phones were the same i'd make a model ID patch in the SPL as well, but they are different devices! As for the carrier, once you have your device as SuperCID which the unlocker simulates there is no physical limitation to using a radio from another carrier.

Now on the other hand the carriers do have customizations and they may not be set up correctly when using a new radio/rom, but that doesn't make the device more prone to unrecoverable device bricking which are the dangers i'm speaking of.
so does this mean as long as you stay on the touch radio, you'll be alright? I am asking this because this give me the impression that once I flash the radio, any radio, I won't be able to go back to stock at all given all stock roms at this moment are non-gps 1.xx versions.

And if in 6 months, those new gps-enabled roms are everywhere, there's really no need to go back to the 1.xx radios, this "problem" will not be any problem anymore, am I correct?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800

datapusher is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledK View Post
Ok, this is definitely not good... I have one that needs work, repair or exchange... The screen does not align correctly, even after a screen alignment it would crap out after a few minutes... Any suggestions as to what to do..? I currently have a GPS rom on it...

Thanks...
I think you'll be fine. If it's not working already, whats the worst that can happen. You brick your phone and you use your insurance to get a new one. And if you don't have insurance, call in and get some today.

Last edited by datapusher; 05-15-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development