PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Dangers of downgrading after installing GPS radio (and a little on signing) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26082)

Torx 05-10-2008 05:31 AM

Re: Dangers of downgrading after installing GPS radio (and a little on signing)

me thinks imcokeman is head software engineer at htc... or sprint :p
or at least he should be.

bob13bob 05-10-2008 11:17 AM

i'm exchaning my mogul for a touch, you're saying there is no good way to get it back to stock rom before I send it in? Pre custom rom upgrade, I had a Sprint GPS rom 3.35 I believe. It froze all the time and was garbate, the custom rom made it much better.

ceebz 05-10-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledK (Post 276870)
Ok, this is definitely not good... I have one that needs work, repair or exchange... The screen does not align correctly, even after a screen alignment it would crap out after a few minutes... Any suggestions as to what to do..? I currently have a GPS rom on it...

Thanks...

Not to piss anyone off or anything, but, IMHO, when you start flashing custom ROMS, you pretty much accept the fact that you're not going to get warranty repair service.

Just buy a new lcd/touch panel and be done with it.

http://www.blackberry8100parts.com/N...en_p_3-62.html

ImCoKeMaN 05-10-2008 11:58 AM

I'm trying to get a little more details of what state people are in after different flash steps to help make my warnings more precise rather than the general "don't do it" so if anyone has an MFG bootloader, already did radio flashes, and knows anything about MTTY please check out this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26196

(PS: don't ask questions in there, i reserve the right to moderate that thread as per the first post)

datapusher 05-10-2008 12:32 PM

UPDATE:

Fear not people, I got impatient while waiting for an answer to the question I posed earlier. So I just did it.

Good news is, my phone works fine. I ended up extracting the signed nbh file out of the latest HTC update. I then ran the rom update utility. All seams to be running as needed for Sprint exchange.

I did not re-lock the phone however.

I took it into Sprint and they checked it out. i will get my replacement sometime next week.

OffUrRcker 05-13-2008 07:06 PM

uhm datapusher you flashed from a no2chem rom to the stock 3.35.04 radio.. obviously, this was going to work fine, both are gps radios. In fact, the no2chem rom you had probably ran on the 3.35 radio (or potentially 3.37 or 3.39.)

What you can not do is overwrite your 3.35 radio with a 2.xx radio, eg the one that comes with the sprint 2.17 rom, or the vzw 2.09 one, which is the problem we vzw users have when we need to send ours in for exchange.

OJM 05-14-2008 01:04 PM

[quote=ImCoKeMaN;276445]Ok there is a TON of confusion here, let my try to clear things up.

SPLs:
0.40 will be overwritten by a flash if an nbh includes an SPL
2.31 will not be overwritten by an nbh (only via OS aka unlocker 0.40)

Radios:
1.xx radios/non-GPS work with 0.40 SPL only
3.xx radios/GPS work with 2.31 only

Okay, here goes. I have bricked my phone and I think I can now figure out why. I believe that I may have mistakenly loaded SPL 2.31 BEFORE upgrading my radio to 3.xx. I then flashed the new 3.05 ROM (w/ GPS). My device is now inoperable. It gets stuck at the HTC splash screen when I reboot OR, if I enter bootloader mode (take out battery, put battery back in, hold camera + power) I get the red/green/blue/white stripes and it reads "VOGU100 MFG, SPL-2.31.CoKe, CPLD-3".

I have tried the unbricking process and but every Sprint original signed ROM I download won't work (i.e., I get an RUU Error message telling me that the file is corrupted - this happens with every link I have tried). Any thoughts on how to unbrick? I appreciate all suggestions.

datapusher 05-14-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffUrRcker (Post 281893)
uhm datapusher you flashed from a no2chem rom to the stock 3.35.04 radio.. obviously, this was going to work fine, both are gps radios. In fact, the no2chem rom you had probably ran on the 3.35 radio (or potentially 3.37 or 3.39.)

What you can not do is overwrite your 3.35 radio with a 2.xx radio, eg the one that comes with the sprint 2.17 rom, or the vzw 2.09 one, which is the problem we vzw users have when we need to send ours in for exchange.

uhm OffUrRocker I know this. This was for all the people who are afraid to flash back to stock for repairs or exchanges on their device. It can be done.

OffUrRcker 05-14-2008 07:19 PM

lol why would somebody be afraid to flash from no2chem to the 3.35 rom that no2chem's is based on..
Nobody in the existence of this thread has provided any caveats about that. Thanks, though..

mixxy 05-15-2008 12:08 AM

i had a quick question. I started experiencing some problems with my touch today and i might have to send it in for repair/replacement. I have a Bell Touch and im guessing their phones are handled by UTStar and there was an official update from them. Though I understand these dangers and risks with downgrading, I think it would be very smart for me to restore the phone to its original state before returning it.

My question is, do you think it would be alright if i downgraded via utstars update for bell vogues, would it be just as risky,

AND

would i have to downgrade to the 0.40 spl before doing it?

and lastly, would u guys advice against it?