PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   To cook or not to cook? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25541)

OMJ 05-02-2008 01:39 PM

To cook or not to cook?

Just curious, now that the PPCGeeks Official Kitchen supports the 6.1 w/ GPS/REV A......will you cook your own rom, or will you continue to use a custom rom cooked by your favorite chef? I need to clean up my hard drive, gotta bunch of roms that I could delete, lol.

boggsie 05-02-2008 01:44 PM

Re: To cook or not to cook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins (Post 269468)
Just curious, now that the PPCGeeks Official Kitchen supports the 6.1 w/ GPS/REV A......will you cook your own rom, or will you continue to use a custom rom cooked by your favorite chef? I need to clean up my hard drive, gotta bunch of roms that I could delete, lol.

I wonder if the role of a chef might simply change ...

Provide a set of "personal OEM's" and a selections.txt file so that folks could still benefit from the work of a chef (unique skins come to mind) but also take advantage of the flexibility and customization available in the PPCKitchen.

Donatom3 05-02-2008 01:45 PM

If it's really as simple as checking what I want and unchecking what I don't, I'm definitely going to make my own rom. If I still can't get it right then I'll go back to my favorite chef's rom.

I think this will be great and hopefully people will stop asking Chefs to put in all the little things that they use and not necessarily everyone else.

mindfrost82 05-02-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donatom3 (Post 269483)
If it's really as simple as checking what I want and unchecking what I don't, I'm definitely going to make my own rom. If I still can't get it right then I'll go back to my favorite chef's rom.

I think this will be great and hopefully people will stop asking Chefs to put in all the little things that they use and not necessarily everyone else.

I agree, I might try it now that the kitchen is out, but I'm also hesitant because I've had so much luck with some of these ROMs that you guys have made for us.

It never hurts to try though. I know if I can get this to work, then there would be no need for UC because I'll just cook everything into my ROM.

mixxy 05-02-2008 01:54 PM

omj ur my fav cooker, and ur roms are just amazing...ill always use urs rather than cook my own (call me lazy) =P but uve got an amazing mind man...keep up the good work

Donatom3 05-02-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixxy (Post 269500)
omj ur my fav cooker, and ur roms are just amazing...ill always use urs rather than cook my own (call me lazy) =P but uve got an amazing mind man...keep up the good work

All the chefs do great work, but to me there is always a few things I dont' like in each rom, or some things that are missing. So to me cooking your own rom is the only solution to getting exactly what you want.

rstoyguy 05-02-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins (Post 269468)

Yes, OMJ, you still need to cook! Maybee not to such a broad audience, or carriers.

As far as that goes, romchefs could start providing their zzzzzzuserwhatever OEM the oemizer makes and some other files that complete their package. This could somehow be incorporated into the new ppckitchen.org kitchen. Something where the updater updates the omj_whatever.txt and omj_rom.rar into the kitchen and that would be their customization.

But on the other hand, I'm sure that there is a higher percentage of users that are more comfortable with just downloading, and flashing. The just 'Get-er-Done' guys and gals still need taken care of as well.

PlainShane 05-02-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donatom3 (Post 269510)
All the chefs do great work, but to me there is always a few things I dont' like in each rom, or some things that are missing. So to me cooking your own rom is the only solution to getting exactly what you want.

That's why OEM roms are always a crowd pleaser. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of having a clean 6.1 with GPS/Rev A and the essentials (touch keyboard, sprint tv, office, etc...) makes more sense. That way I can add my own programs and then delete them if they fall out of favor. See with a ROM the apps are built in so if I want to use Resco Explorere over Total Commander then I am screwed because it is burnt into the damn thing. The idea of being able to get rid of apps is nice; uninstall! The roms are a great way to try out a bunch of programs I would normally not use though. Just my two cents.

mardukeme 05-02-2008 03:18 PM

I'll be cooking my own rom everyone has there own personall prefrences, and the only way to statisfy that is by making your own rom.

FastRX8 05-02-2008 03:46 PM

I already cooked one, and loaded it. Now I'm about to re-flash with OMJ.WM6.1.GPS.Sprintv2.
I loved cooking my own roms on the 6700, but I haven't figured out all the reg hacks the chef's are using, and I don't really have the time to do it right now.

The rom I cooked has everything I wanted, but the UC didn't work, and it's seems very slow in response time when I try to open a program.

For now, I'm sticking to the stuff that already exist, and maybe down the road use the kitchen.
The nice thing about the roms you guys make is that there are several people using it.
When/If a issue comes up, several people see it, and work on a solution.
On my personal cooked rom, I'm the only one fixing the issues, and it get tiresome.