PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to Customize a Custom Rom: Adding/Removing Programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post

Why do all this when there is www.ppckitchen.org? The PPCKitchen is nice, but it is...sorta Robotic. While I have no complaints, it is somewhat limited.
Um, no. It's actually less limited. What led you to think it was more limited?
Quote:
Quite a few rom chef's have spent month's customizing their rom. This means refining registry entries, picking and choosing what programs to include, maintaining current programs versions. These folks have put countless hours into these. I have my own rom preference. I personally prefer OMJ's rom and his customizations. And honestly, I don't use a couple of programs my chef chooses, and I usually add a couple of my own programs. This tutorial will help you cut down on the time that UserCustomization takes. We all know the benefits of a Custom Rom! This brings the art to the end user level.
If you really want to cut down on User Customization time, learn to use PPCkitchen.org's kitchen. It can be used as a drop in replacement for bepe's buildos, but it's real power lies in it's additional features for end user rom customization. There is no substitute.

Last edited by gguruusa; 05-03-2008 at 07:19 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: sprint

asherizm is a n00b

please sticky good work
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

liteo is a n00b

I probably removed something important just now on my first time editing. My edited ROM didn't want to load up(just blank screen after the HTC screen). Good thing I was able to reflash my phone using the SD method. :P
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 AM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteo View Post
I probably removed something important just now on my first time editing. My edited ROM didn't want to load up(just blank screen after the HTC screen). Good thing I was able to reflash my phone using the SD method. :P

Same problem here. But I didn't remove anything... I just ran throught the process to see how it works. I did notice that the newly created rom is 10mb smaller then the input even though I didn't remove anything...Does anyone have ideas...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

I have noticed shrinkage of about 1-2mb in the past, but 10mb is significant. When you run PrepIt.bat are you waiting until it says complete? Same with BuildIt.bat. Both of these processes pop up several dos windows and it does take a while.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
I have noticed shrinkage of about 1-2mb in the past, but 10mb is significant. When you run PrepIt.bat are you waiting until it says complete? Same with BuildIt.bat. Both of these processes pop up several dos windows and it does take a while.

Yes I some roms work fine others don't. I happen to be using derek's new 19.1 vista/ gpsd rom and just tried it with that one. The input file is 73mb and the signed ruu is only 60mb. All I did was prepit, then buildos, then builtit and flash it. I make to the 2nd splash and then black screen. So I then flash from the card.... Any advice????
Old 05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

ghettotight is a n00b

Noob question - is a kitchen the same as a ROM....i dont think so, so can someone tell me the difference.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Pam Pre'

vader4633 is becoming a great contributor

How do you change the picture when you first power on the phone. I would like to have the black HTC screen back. can anyone post a link to the picture to be used?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:51 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Yes I some roms work fine others don't. I happen to be using derek's new 19.1 vista/ gpsd rom and just tried it with that one. The input file is 73mb and the signed ruu is only 60mb. All I did was prepit, then buildos, then builtit and flash it. I make to the 2nd splash and then black screen. So I then flash from the card.... Any advice????
I'll look into that tonight. Are you sure he isn't packaging his RUU folder with his rom in the exe? That is between 8-19mb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettotight View Post
Noob question - is a kitchen the same as a ROM....i dont think so, so can someone tell me the difference.
A kitchen is what you use to build and package a Rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
How do you change the picture when you first power on the phone. I would like to have the black HTC screen back. can anyone post a link to the picture to be used?
How about this link...post 134
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25335&page=4

There are 3 boot up images. I think we were introduced to the first (change) one with the PPCKitchen. Most roms never messed with changing this one, so we never noticed it before.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-03-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Same problem here. But I didn't remove anything... I just ran throught the process to see how it works. I did notice that the newly created rom is 10mb smaller then the input even though I didn't remove anything...Does anyone have ideas...
I did the 5 steps, and here is what I got...Exactly the same.

The kitchen in the link utilizes "BigStorage" technology that saves you on average 10megs when you flash your rom. Giving you more room on your
device.

So your problem is no problem at all right? You gain 10 megs thanks to compression! I've used this kitchen for so long, I almost forgot about it....

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-03-2008 at 07:29 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development